Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Whitefeather8
    108 spiders are a girl's best friends
    • 8th Oct 14, 4:21 PM
    108 spiders are a girl's best friends 8th Oct 14 at 4:21 PM
    I have just lost half my income and the house has become home to some truly enormous spiders. One particularly gruesome specimen lives beneath the laundry basket and another one torments me from under the cooker.

I was starting to feel really sorry for myself, but I have decided to see them as a good sign!! 8 is now my key number. It is the 8th of Oct(8)ober and Spiderman is a hero!!

I never really liked the half of the job that I have lost anyway, and after years of childcare and elderly relative responsibilities, along with ill health, times have moved on and there is suddenly a window opening where I could make some real changes to my life. So, instead of moping, it is time to "grasp it like a man of mettle and it soft as silk remains."

So …… this is Project Spiderwoman. I have 108 days to retrain, bust debt, lose 24lb and get to the bottom of the laundry basket (a spider step a day). I may even clean under the cooker, by that time the spiders and I will be best friends.

Off to work on my plan.
    Last edited by Whitefeather8; 28-11-2014 at 5:38 PM.
Page 12
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 9th Jan 20, 9:27 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Another day, another dollar …..

I folllowed the same morning routine, as yesterday, and managed to clock up 1,700 steps before breakfast. I added some stretches to the Senorita routine and felt energised afterwards, I also drank a litre of water too. Left the house tidy again and it felt good. I did 6,300 steps yesterday so today I will aim for 6,500. One step at a time, I will get to my destination.

Today I will bounce to the James Blunt 'The Greatest' and do two big frogs:-

1. Report, which will take me around 5 hours.
    2. Preparation for a meeting which will take 1 hour.

TTFN
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My mantra is "What frog am I going to kiss and transform today
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 7 and 33
    I am joyfully and creatively sticking to my budge
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Jan 20, 10:41 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sending you positive vibes to attack those frogs.

Enjoy your bouncing
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • klew356
    • By klew356 9th Jan 20, 3:57 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 3,194 Thanks
    klew356
    following and good luck!
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 10th Jan 20, 8:32 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Thanks Klew, it is really helping knowing there are a few people holding me to account.

I did my 500 bounces and 10,000 steps yesterday. This is the first time that I have managed to complete them since I began, (two weeks tomorrow) and I honestly thought it would be a breeze, by now, but it was at the absolute limit of my capacity.

The 5 hour frog, just looked at me and got bigger and bigger and I swear it started to grow teeth and is planning to devour me by Monday, if I don't eat it first …... I got the email through telling me that, so I was not paranoid, but I still have not done it.

I have another horrible job (snarling dragon) that has to be done by the 15th January (7 hours work) and if that is not done it will cause me a huge amount of grief for the first quarter of 2020. The chasing email arrived too, as I knew it would..

Finally, I have to do another (at least 10 hour) report for Inspectorate (yearly returns), which requires collating a lot of data and writing some new policies by 14th February 2020.

I will not be able to do any of them today, as have back to back meetings, so I have decided to go in to the office on Sunday afternoon to do frog 1. Block out all Monday, putting 'out of office' on, to do dragon 2 (Aaagh, can't bear that one) and the same again on Tuesday to do the CI report.

If, no, WHEN, I get these three things done, I will clear a huge amount of headspace and blocked energy, that I can channel in to my quarter 1, finance and fitness goals, proving to myself that I do have the self discipline to see this through …….. No pressure
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 10-01-2020 at 8:42 AM.
    I am a beautiful, balanced, spiritual being who is transitioning to her perfect weight.
    My symbol for 2020 is the golden eagle & winged white horse and my numbers are 7 and 33
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 11th Jan 20, 9:11 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Yesterday was really tricky, maybe the full Wolf Moon, but I found old issues of boundaries and balance re-surfacing and got very defensive. I said no to two things that would have been emotionally exhausting, thankless and unpaid but was left feeling guilty and vulnerable.

I fell asleep to 'Boundaries, when to say yes, when to say no, to take control of your life', recommended by Savingholmes and very thought provoking.

I do not have spare emotional capacity presently and I now care enough about myself to recognise my limitations. Onwards and upwards.

I weighed in and I have lost another 2 pounds! - now 183 pounds, with my eyes firmly fixed on the 170's.

Have a good weekend.
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 11-01-2020 at 9:14 AM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Jan 20, 11:11 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ended up walking home from a meeting in the dark. Glad I did as the moon was so beautiful.
    Well done on saying no to things that are unhelpful to you. Hope you are having a good day.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 12th Jan 20, 6:47 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Thanks doingitanyway - I love the moon, and it does have an effect on me.....

My mother was a hardy Scot and one of her favourite poems was:-

'The Little White Rose':-

"The rose of all the world is not for me.
    I want for my part
    Only the little white rose of Scotland.
    That smells sharp and sweet - and breaks the heart"

My sister planted a little white rose, on mum's death. Yesterday, she was on the phone to me, reminiscing and burst out laughing as a little rosebud suddenly flowered. The only bud on the bush and in the middle of winter!

I realise I am still grieving for the loss of my mother and aunt, and I am going to treat myself kindly, but firmly. I have to eat frog number one today, though in truth would rather kiss it, turn it into a handsome prince and get him to do the work, now there is an idea!!
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 12-01-2020 at 6:53 AM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 20, 4:07 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Did you eat that frog today?
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 13th Jan 20, 7:56 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Hi Doingitanyway.

Still in the office and nearly 8.00 pm, a 12 hour work day. Ate the frog and slaughtered the dragon. I have to admit they were every bit as horrible as I thought they would be, but they have both gone. Yippy, dippy, do.

What was even more amazing was that I met up with a runner friend. at the crack of dawn today. After a five minute catch up, she raced ahead and I sped walked, after her. I have clocked up 17,000 steps today!! and enjoyed an incredible sunrise.

Amazing how in one day I can accomplish what would normally take me a whole week (or never when it comes to my usual frogs!)

Just one frog left to do and that will take me all day tomorrow, but determined to do it.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 14th Jan 20, 8:16 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    My focus becomes my reality
    Vision Board
    By 1st May 2020 I am 16 pounds lighter. (4lb a month and perfectly doable. (Vision board - gorgeous Spanish senorita).
    By 1st May 2020 I will not have used my reserves (16,000.00) and I will have increased the buffer by 1,000.00.(Vision Board - cheque to self for 17,000.00).

Reminding myself of the above. I am not going to be side-tracked. Of all the things I have ever tried to do, losing weight, after I turned 40, has proved the most difficult to achieve and sustain. I have lost 4.2 lb so far this month, so I need to consolidate and potentially build on that. Ideally I would like to be less than 180 lb by first February 2020 - I will put that on the board as a stretch target.

Keeping to a budget is proving surprisingly easy, in comparison. As long as I continue to keep a very tight reign on any expenditure, there should be no need to use reserves and it looks like I will be adding to them.

I am going to try out 'Clubbercise' at 8.00 pm tonight, with a friend and her teenage daughter. Glowsticks are obligatory apparently! Not sure if it is really my scene but hey ho off we go.

The third big frog will be demolished today. I commit, on my diary, to staying in the office until it is finished and posting EATEN on completion. I have saved the worst until last ….. aaaaagh.

Update:- Completely eaten and it is 4.54 pm. Go girl!
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 14-01-2020 at 4:55 PM.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 15th Jan 20, 9:31 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    What Frog am I going to Kiss today
    'Clubbercise' was fun. I sat out of a few of the more frenetic dances, but overall there was a real 'feel good' and relaxed atmosphere there and I felt energised at the end. I am going to go there each week.

Today, I am just back from a walk. My runner friend called and we followed Monday's routine. I now know how she keeps so slim and healthy at 48, self discipline. The wind is strong and biting out there, but that did not stop her.

I am off to my art class today and it will be a NSD.

My frog today is tidying out one cupboard in our bedroom, I will login when that is tamed. I am nolonger eating frogs, but befriending them like I did my spiders (PS my washing cupboard is completely empty) ………..

My knew mantra is 'What frog am I going to kiss today'.
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 15-01-2020 at 9:49 AM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 20, 3:45 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Lots of great exercise going on. Great stuff
    Hope you enjoy your art class.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 16th Jan 20, 7:54 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    My art class was heavenly DIA, I totally switch off when I am there. It is a little piece of paradise, right out in the wilds.

It took me three hours, but I transformed yesterday's frog - sorting out my clothes cupboard. The amazing thing is that I have a large number of beautiful, new or worn once and busted out of clothes in a size 14.

For two years I have resisted buying clothes in a size 16, convinced that the extra 1.5 stone, i'd put on, was a blip that could be easily rectified, nope …...losing this weight is going to have to be a military exercise in (joyful) discipline and endurance.

I put the fitted, size 14 clothes, into a large suitcase, in the attic until 1st May 2020, D Day. I will take the torn ones and those needing adjusting, to a seamstress, at the weekend, for fixing and the rest I stuck in a large Ikea bag and deposited on the doorstep of a local ironing lady, who is charging me 20.00 to iron the lot and put it all on hangers.

Between the ironing lady and the seamstress, I will be paying about 50.00, but for that I have a transformed closet!! I think that is a bargain.

Today's handsome frog is sending back my remaining parcels. I still have 7 xmas parcels that need returning to amazon, before 20th January, so that the money can get credited to my account. That is my number one priority and I am doing it TODAY.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 16th Jan 20, 7:49 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 21,536 Thanks
    savingholmes
    I love the way you write - keep posting.

Glad that you are looking after yourself more. Love the idea of a 6 hour day 4 days a week.

Thanks for saying I have a way of manifesting dreams - I agree. I have been crying out for some help with how to resolve my interest only mortgage - and it looks like an old pension is going to provide at least half the answer as it is worth more than I thought which is amazing. It may also allow me to retire at 55 which is life changing. I will turn 50 this year... I want to go and live near the coast.

Love the sound of your art class too. I love anything crafts related but am better at copying than original work.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 18th Jan 20, 11:47 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Hang on to those dreams Savingholmes you are almost there! Thank you for the support you have given me, it is really appreciated.

I love the refreshing honesty of your diary, which really resonates with a lot of people, including me. We are all willing you on .

Yesterday, was extremely difficult. A work situation arose, which in the past would have driven me to sleepless nights, overeating and an enormous amount of self doubt and sabotaging behaviour. This time I saw it for what it was and resolved to react differently.

I was reading that a person can carry their own weather around by imagining that they are in a submarine or aircraft, If they did not have that protection the air/water pressure would kill them.

It is tricky enough navigating my own self without being sucked into other people's raw emotions and dramas, which are rarely of my making, but I get targeted.

So I visualised myself in a luxury submarine, tucked safely in the most beautiful coral reef. I decided that I would be indifferent to the drama and engage only where absolutely necessary and then with supreme professionalism. Last night I slept soundly and today I feel refreshed and resolute.

2 more pounds off, sticking to budget and aiming to hit Blue Monday, smiling.
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 18-01-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 20, 12:17 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It's great when you have the awareness that you can step outside of yourself and not resort to self sabotaging behaviour isn't it? I can do that sometimes but wish I could do it more often. Good for you.

Well done on the weight loss too
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 20th Jan 20, 6:50 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    I recently read a book called 'The Salt Path' about a middle-aged couple who lost their home and health and wild camped around Cornwall on 30.00 a week. In conclusion Raynor Winn wrote.

"At last I understood what homelessness had done for me. It had taken every material thing that I had and left me stripped bare, a blank page at the end of a partly written book. It had also given me the choice, either to leave that page blank or to keep writing the story with hope. I chose hope ……. All I knew was that we were lightly salted blackberries hanging in the last of the summer sun, and this perfect moment was the only one we needed."

I want to enjoy, appreciate and care for the natural world this year. I am putting some blackberries on my vision board.
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 20-01-2020 at 7:01 AM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 20th Jan 20, 8:54 AM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    The Salt Path is one of my favourite reads from 2019. It really helped me in sorting the important stuff from the non important stuff. Another book, Home, about a younger woman living in a shed by Catrina Davies is also excellent and similar in some ways. i think you might like it.

I join you with wanting to enjoy the natural world much more.

Have a good day.
    • Msmoneyspider
    • By Msmoneyspider 20th Jan 20, 7:59 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Msmoneyspider
    Thanks DIA, I look forward to reading 'Homesick'. Another book I enjoyed in 2019 was "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine". For me the theme of 2019 was about reconciling and making peace with the past and myself. Reading about Eleanor's mother fixation was weirdly cathartic.

You are right, how often we 'sweat the small stuff' and miss out on the good bits, which don't usually come with a big price tag .…...
    Last edited by Msmoneyspider; 20-01-2020 at 8:12 PM.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 20th Jan 20, 10:19 PM
    • 10,273 Posts
    • 21,536 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Love the book examples - will look into them at some point. Thanks for the point on 'refreshing honesty'. I do get scared sometimes in case someone I know reads it and recognises me. Let's hope not. Hopefully if they did they would be mse fans - although I do worry sometimes about the g00gl3 extracts...

Glad that you are putting stronger boundaries in place - and sleeping well as a result. That's fantastic progress.
    During 2020: Target 1) 25,121 to be repaid in 2020 (0%) Now down to 24,703 Target 2) repay 1450 off (OP 102.51) mortgage now 144872 @1.7% Target 3) Set up SIPPs Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - now done 4/52
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,633Posts Today

8,561Users online

Martin's Twitter