We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mr Rod was only here for a few hours today, as he had an appt elsewhere, but he is cracking-on. The garage, which was still just a garage a few weeks ago is now two rooms: one with a loft hatch and stable door for the plant-related outhouse, and the other plumbed-up as a bathroom, though no fittings yet. There's water and leccy in both, so we will stick the old sink unit from my den into the outhouse for washing pots etc and put the computer and label printer on the other side.

The main bedroom is now completely plastered/skimmed and ready for skirtings etc. T'other one is half way there, as is the hallway, so we're getting close to second fix on electrics. :)

This all sounds good, but we still have to extend the drainage and completely replace all the inspection chambers on the site, which are old-fashioned brick things that allow ground water in during really wet spells. We also have to get the kitchen plastered and floored, ready for the fitters, and lastly, we need to create a fireplace in the living room and get a new fire in situ before we plaster in there.

All this before winter.....:eek:

Oh, and the trashed bathroom....that will have to wait because it's storage for the next few months. :o
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flipping heck Alfie, its all happening.. And so quick too..

Wired sort of day today weatherwise, nice and warm, but then went cold when the wind blew...

I don't normally buy lottery tickets, but I think 81 million on the euro lottery is worth buying a ticket for..

Been staying up the ranch the last few days, but at home tonight...

Not much to report really
    Work to live= not live to work
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2015 at 8:28PM
    Options
    Fine evening, so popped into my local NTS garden 'after hours'...they really should have noticed the warning 'can be invasive' on that pot of Persicaria bistorta 'Superba' :)

6dfd02b3-bb7d-459e-a36c-a876a0c39061_zpsmfan179c.jpg
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done Alfie/Ms Marples. Hope you get some compo before they go to ground, are busted.

Dave you have made massive progress.

Spent most of the day hacking back shrubs & trees that have taken over - can't believe how much they've grown. Feel tired out now & it's not finished as a job.

Cold wind here, but keeps the midgies off & it's been dry too - how odd to not be rained off.
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    For anyone interested in seeing the reality of gardening in Scotland, can I point you to Anns a' Gharradh (In the Garden) on the BBC iPlayer. Don't worry, there's subtitles for anyone not speaking the Gaelic.

Here's a taster...
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like your picture framing I have spoken :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fine evening, so popped into my local NTS garden 'after hours'...they really should have noticed the warning 'can be invasive' on that pot of Persicaria bistorta 'Superba' :)

6dfd02b3-bb7d-459e-a36c-a876a0c39061_zpsmfan179c.jpg

I stuck some of that in by the stream....but it struggles!

The stream 'garden' hasn't received any input this year and probably won't, but it's a really challenging place to grow stuff, other than that which exists there naturally.

Luckily, the existing ferns, cerlandines, primroses, foxgloves and campion are all pleasant enough, but I've managed to add a few hellebores, arum, the persicaria, astrantia, alchemilla and various geraniums. They're surviving, but making slow progress in the shade there.

Up at the Dog End, the shade is colonised by a dwarf comfrey. It's spread a little way down the stream, but is nothing to worry about yet. Where it grows, not much else does!

Horse Woman has just brought in the last of her bales. Pete cut the hay last week, turned it a few times and then ridged-up this morning. Someone else baled....all 1/2 an acre of it!:rotfl:

With Pete driving a 4 mile round trip each day and the baler coming many miles, that hay must've cost something! :eek:
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Anyone successfully bent garden canes into hoops to place around floppy plants?

The hoops you buy show scorch marks to it looks like a flame is used to make the cane pliable...
  • ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Not sure about bending canes, I'd imagine heat is definitely required, I know some wood is made into curves with steam, think I saw cart wheels made that way? :eek:

However Monty don uses mild steel (I think) as plant supports, I don't know if I can properly describe what he does, maybe Google it to see, but he bends it by hand into a half circle with legs.

and Sarah raven suggests chicken wire or other mesh made into collars...

I never get round to plant supports :o so I can't say I speak from experience
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Anyone successfully bent garden canes into hoops to place around floppy plants?

The hoops you buy show scorch marks to it looks like a flame is used to make the cane pliable...

I THINK THEY ARE SOAKED IN WATER TO MAKE EM MORE FLEXIBLE.... sorry left caps on !!:o

have to be a slow process tho.
    I know beech is steamed to flex....

they sell em in the 99 shop...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family