We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Funnily enough my collies aren't all that bright either! by far our cleverest dog was a mastiff GSD kind of cross, she could pick up a new trick in minutes and understood so many commands.

Well the kitchen fitting is underway. It's not quite 100% going to plan as in I'm going to have a lot of tidying up to do behind this chap and the electrician, because the under cabinet lights and sockets seem to be new concepts to everyone, despite us buying them about 2 years ago! But nothing a lot of filler and sanding won't sort out. Deep Joy!

I'm having a dilemma, there's an original tiled floor in the kitchen and it's not in too bad nick. However there's no wall space for a radiator in the room so I know it's going to feel really cold.

Initially I thought lay some insulation then underfloor heating and more tiles but I feel bad about possibly ruining the original floor. Then I thought about laminate but I cannot find anything that will look right.

My last idea (yesterday) was to polish the floor up and pour a clear resin over it, to preserve it, protect it and make it feel warmer. However as the base units are already in I couldn't do the whole room just the bit you can see. Is that ridiculous?!

I would love to lift the tiles and reuse them but I don't think they'll survive. I might try in an area under the units where they've already been broken up if I can reach...
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flipping heck it gone close and humid this afternoon...

Just come home from work, quick cuppa, and then up to the ranch.. Setting up new water drinker in the new run we had done in the spring, move a pig arc into it.. And then the puggles can have a few weeks in there before going to auction... It is soooo overgrown it will be like sending them into a jungle lol... Then we can rest the other two runs again....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    hi all

very hot here today, still breeze but no sign of this ere storm forecast... prob eat my words later ! :(
    son is at download festival so hopefully he has got his tent pitched in the dry ! :p

manic at the IOW ferry from lymington this evening... I think many are going before the possible storm...

I am now handing all info ive gathered over to my insurance company re car damage. I must admit everyone [crawley council,BPA, police] have been very helpful :D

im driving up there to take pics of the parking area that they say they are not using !;) icing on the cake ....
    also checked out company house and apparently the poor man has assets of £91 :rotfl: who's he kidding !

got 2 likkle ponies starting lami so they will prob be stabled tomorrow for a few days. they are on next to nothing now ! we will have 2 /3 fields for hay this year. one super lush [4 acres] one medium [6 acres] and one that may not be good enuff [6 acres]..... friend is looking to "aquire" an adjoining 4 acres to our fields " to square it off" :rotfl:

im trying to find 2/3 mobile field shelters , gotta be mobile or else need PP ;)

do hope you are in for a good spell of weather choille
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2015 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Picked up a couple of cannas from Lidl as mine have been so slow to get going in the cold and wet of May.

Otherwise not a good day with me, nerves are rather frazzled (NB no-one's died!).

EDIT, answering my own question...bending garden canes into hoops using heat turns out to be simple enough - if you have a plumbers blowlamp. Play the flame along the cane and it'll get noticeably soft so you can easily fashion a hoop by eye then just plunge into a bucket of water to hold the shape. I've done loads already!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My nerves are a bit frazzled too, IHS, but for much more trivial reasons. :o

Today we made the last window hole and installed a window in the guest en-suite, which has never had one. That's the good news. :)

The first time we tried to do this, DW ordered a window to match the other one in the room, but this made it too long and it came below the toilet cistern! :rotfl:

Sooooo...... we very carefully measured the nearby bathroom window and made the replacement match it in height. We didn't waste the mis-ordered window, just used it beside the stable door in DW's den.

With these problems solved, what could go wrong? Well, I don't know, but somehow our builder managed to install the new window about 30mm higher than it's neighbour that we matched it with so carefully! :mad:

I think it was just a convenient joint in the brickwork which influenced him, but by the time we noticed, the lintel was in and four courses of bricks above it. :(

It's not the end of the world, nor is it the first time we've had a wobbly decision by our builder, so we're likely to be watching him much more from now on.

They say you shouldn't employ a friend as your builder, as you may not stay friends! I'm determined it won't come to that since our guy has been brilliant in most respects.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not been around today as this morning DH decided we'd have a spur of the moment road trip to Wales ;):D Took the dogs in the Landy and drove to the beach at Barmouth which they loved, romping in the sea and sand dunes. Then drove up to Betws-y-coed to reminisce as we spent a few hols up there when DS was tiny. Stopped for yummy fish & chips on the way home :D Lovely day, but pooped now....
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    44th Wedding Anniversary today, we celebrated with Prosecco at lottie with some of our neighbours. More detail over on Nice People thread if you want. But we had a humingbird hawk moth come feed on valerian in front garden just after we got back from lottie, we're both super happy about it.

18692108136_5a89dd5ecf_z.jpgHummingbird Hawk Moth by Maggie, on Flickr
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Great photo maggie. :T They don't hang about for long, do they?

Funnily enough, or maybe not, it was on a valerian that I snapped one too....maybe last year? Can't remember now.

Belated Happy Anniversary too. :beer:

Looking forward to the torrential downpours, thunder, lightning and general chaos threatened any time now.:eek: Whatever, I must go shopping in it, and we're so dry here, a bit of a splash will be welcome.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    well we had a piddling rain here....... not to say more to come but nothing to write home about so far !!

off to dentist ...........
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No rain here.....yet ;) Sunny at the moment, but not as warm as yesterday. Need to crack on with my late mum's probate documentation today.....been putting it off as not looking forward to it :o

Have a good day all and don't get too wet!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family