We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    roses are getting into full swing now....

2i9i7oh.jpg
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Gosh, they've filled out some haven't they Alfie!?

Dark and overcast here, spattering but no real rain.....no thunderstorm yet...I'm waiting, and looking forward to it,....because I er, have neglected watering a little, ;)
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    its a misty rain here LIR. but only in short spells. very humid.

will do the grass/plants good if its not too heavy when/if it kicks in ....
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, I received my downpour. Instant monsoon with no warning, just as I entered Barnstaple. One side of the roundabout was dry, and on the other side everyone had their lights on...just like that.

No thunder or anything though, but the rain has been steady now for around 5 hours. We need it. :)

Our builder has put coving up in Bed 1 and its bathroom today, but the skirtings and architraves havent arrived, so now he's stuck. Apparently, primed MDF woodwork is a bit esoteric for our builders' merchants, so they've had to order it in specially. Huh??? confused-smiley-001.gif
  • alfie_1
    First Post
    Options
    took mum to see dad today and had good chat enroute home... she is chomping at the bit now to move ! she has it worked out that after last visitor she will get rid of un wanted furniture etc.. I keep telling her she has 2 months to go yet...:rotfl:

I have to clear out masses of dollshouses and furniture from the room she will have here...:o the sun room as it has shower and loo etc to hand.
    have to move the book cases etc.. BUT have to clear the spare upstairs bedroom of carp to put DH stuff into !!.. don't know where to start !
    should sell all the DH stuff really :cool:

LIR.... want to give a home to a DH and furniture as a gifty ;)
    got a lovely shop one ... wedding/clothes one ......
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    Retail therapy for me today, with a haul from Dobbies' plant-hospital. Hybrid orchids were a couple of quid, down from £14.99, the perennials were £4, grafted pepper £2.

Two of the orchids were phals, then there's a brassia Toscana and Cambria 'Nelly Isler' which seem a bit fussier.

8e999a83-0b7f-4be3-8f2f-4961cf7ee210_zpsgqqj3sml.jpg
  • ferretkeeper
    ferretkeeper Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Retail therapy, plants rescued and some great bargains, I'd call that a good result!

I too had a bit of retail therapy last night, went mad buying books for some reason, I think I got half a dozen, all crafty ones, I need some inspiration!

Well just when I thought it was going ok the plumber has let me down. I know he's busy but he also knows we're in the middle of doing the kitchen...the kitchen fitter spotted a pipe in the wrong place, only by a little bit, but it's behind the cupboard next to the sink unit so affects both. Kitchen fitter won't do any more til it's sorted...

I think I'm going to have to adapt the units so we can remove the backs with the worktop on - with these units the backs slide into the unit and are screwed in place then the worktop goes over and you can't get the back panel out. That does seem a bit mad, to not be able to access the plumbing without undoing the whole kitchen, so I think removable backs are a sensible move given the state of the pipe work in our place. Plus it buys me some time to find another plumber....PITA!

However the kitchen looks good, with all the units are in place I can see it coming together.

It's finally raining properly! I waited all day yesterday for rain, put everything indoors or under cover first thing, and it was barely a drizzle at bed time, but it's chucking it down now. I too have neglected watering duties so a few plants were looking a bit crispy, I'll cut them back and hope they recover.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just back from the village Market, where we have cobbled-together a stall again, somehow. :o

Quite a few have bemoaned my not turning-up with tomatoes this year at various events, but like you FC, I took my eye off the ball and the remainder got a little crispy! They'll be fine, but as I can't sell them, I'll grow more on and sell the tomatoes instead. :D

Destroying the bathroom has proved the most difficult demolition task so far. The travertine (:eek:) tiles were stuck on so well, I've removed bits of the walls with them!

Now I know travertine is 'in' at present, butneither of us likes the stuff, so it has to go. Same goes for the reproduction high level suite, which washed shoes every time people forgot to put the seat down! :p
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Just got back from the ranch ..

Yesterday was very humid up until mid/ late afternoon, and then it started cooling down with the odd little dizzke of rain, but then it opened up and rained all night still mizzle rain now, no thunder.

Yesterday afternoon we had a surprise visit from the person who was bidding against us at the auction. He was gutted he lost, the estate agents told him that when she asked passed last year nothing had been done to the house, so he called and if nothing had been done he was going to put a note through the door to see if we wanted to sell it...so I gave him the grand tour of the place..I did tell him we were at our Max, so if he had put another bid in, he would have won it.. :p

He did say they nearly bought it 15 years ago when it was for sale, but he had an accident in work, and then when it went to auction they put in a pretty planning application to build a new house on the footprint etc.. Cost him over £500 in fees for everything ..
    He also said there was an old local farmer bidding too, so it got me thinking was it Mr twonk, who was giving us so much grief????
    So in the time we have been here, we have had 3 people either making us an offer, or interested in buying the ranch
    Work to live= not live to work
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My little mauve squeaker cat is not very well according to her tests so a bit shocked fir and I have been cuddling her and doing nothing else. Now we'll get on with the day a bit I think.

Edit: oh, and over night deluge has overwhelmed our water system here. :(. So, some sorting out to do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure