We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not much going on here today....for once the weather has been so warm I've not felt like doing anything (that and the fact I couldn't sleep last night - not sure why, but I was still awake at 5.30am, and was listening to the multitude of birds in our garden from around 3am onwards :o), so I've had a lazy day, pottering around in the garden and reading, then headed out to M&S Simply Food to get some yummy bits that don't need much effort for dinner :D

Regarding Persicaria, we have some Affinis Superba in a rocky area close to the pond - this was planted by the PO and is a very large, dense clump of foliage, but with only 2-3 flowers. Not sure if there's something I should be doing that I've omitted?

Hope BD is ok....sending {{{hugs}}} to you, BD xxx
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm OK thanks Phoebe :A

Just not had a lot of heart for posting the forums after losing Old Dog. Had a few wobbles and its taking a while to adjust as we spent so much time together.

It's been cold for June, although the forecast for tomorrow is warm, so hope to be able to have a little potter in the garden.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm OK thanks Phoebe :A

Just not had a lot of heart for posting the forums after losing Old Dog. Had a few wobbles and its taking a while to adjust as we spent so much time together.

It's been cold for June, although the forecast for tomorrow is warm, so hope to be able to have a little potter in the garden.

It's only natural to 'wobble' a bit when you lose an old friend, but you know the cure.....a new friend. :)

Probably a bit early just now, but give it a few weeks and a bit of thought. ;)

Last year, we lost Poppy (Winkle) at the end of April. On the same day, our two rascals were born, although we didn't hear about them straight away. The time they spent with their Mum before coming to us was just about right.

Yes it was blooming cold last night and I lit a fire. We were OK up here, but Mr Rod said he saw grass frost when seeing to his sheep in the valley at around 6am. :eek:

IHS, we make plant supports from 1/4" steel reinforcing rods which we buy a weird metal place in Crediton. You're expected to walk into the huge workshop, find someone who looks not too scary, or not welding, and ask them for whatever you want. There's no elf n' safety at all!

Last time, we found Alan, who worked out roughly how many supports of a given height we could get from a 20' length and then chopped up the appropriate number. They were very cheap compared with the green plastic coated ones in places like Harrod Horticulture...and they'll last years

To make a support, the rod is first bent around a suitable sized tree, pole, or whatever. Then, one bends the 'legs' somehow, but I can't quite remember if there's a technique for that bit, or exactly what I did. :o It wasn't hard anyway. :)
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BD - Good to hear from you. It is a big thing losing a pet, they are so much part of life. Since getting the hairy cat I can't believe that I spent 6 months or so without a pet - 1st time in my life I hadn't had a cat & it wasn't right.
    Got the new car & it's posh & not filled with crop - will have to not treat it like a skip. No putting rams in this one, nor drift wood.
    Lovely evening but midgied. Good it's dry again.
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    There's a blacksmith in the next village so will enquire about steel rod. My shasta daises are just at the point of flopping over if (when!) there's a downpour.

Alliums just catching the setting sun

f54fbdfb-5719-47a4-8027-974e73dc1593_zpsyvdbjv2h.jpg
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's a blacksmith in the next village so will enquire about steel rod. My shasta daises are just at the point of flopping over if (when!) there's a downpour.

Alliums just catching the setting sun

f54fbdfb-5719-47a4-8027-974e73dc1593_zpsyvdbjv2h.jpg

Oh, that's SO good. Very beautiful planting.

You are very talented, you know. :):)
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's perfectly understandable BD......they are one of the family, after all......but as Dave suggests, in time you might feel that the addition of a new furry member to the family will help ease the pain. I guess that's the poisoned chalice of opening our homes and hearts to the wee beasties xxx

IHS, delightful view of your garden once again :)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • ferretkeeper
    Options
    I think that's probably why we have so many dogs and cats, when one goes the hole isn't so enormous, and I have to keep it together to look after the rest. That said I still pine for my old dog, Ben, a black lab x. he was a very special dog, a proper dog as labs are.

There was a program on bbc2 tonight called The Wonder of dogs, it was the second episode of 3 so Ive just downloaded the first, not sure I haven't seen this before, does say at the end of the credits it's from 2013. I can't remember that far back!

Lots of lovely dogs and interesting history of the breeds, characteristics etc, so I'll enjoy watching it regardless. Collies did well in the intelligence tests :T
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

BD.. The pain of losing a wonderful dog will never go away, but day by day you will learn how to cope, and it will get easier over time...

After all this time losing our dog, its only recently I have even thought about having another dog, but I know the time is not right due to too much going on in our lives..

Is it right these rumours I have hear??? Thunderstorms tomorrow?????

This has been a wired start to summer this year... Noticed it yesterday, wgphen I went to supermarket I had a thick jumper on, and so did some other people, and then there were people in shorts lil..one minute warm, the next cold lol
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Collies did well in the intelligence tests :T

Ours never did. Not bright, but very well trained and incredibly trustworthy, so I could leave her outside a shop in the city and return 20 minutes later, knowing wouldn't have wandered off or bitten anyone.

Old English Sheepdog and Golden Retriever were the smart ones. :)

Prefer cats now. Less commitment. :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport