PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Spendaholics programme

Options

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lipidicman wrote:
    My GF watched that a few weeks back and said it was 'eye opening stuff' Apparently someone was pawning their son's stuff to buy him a birthday present - some present!

I watched that one too, it was so depressing I couldn't bear to watch another one, there was also the drug addict and his girlfriend who were pawning stuff so they could spend £1000 on a holiday and have £500 spending money!
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Never seen that Austin, but it does sound very interesting.

lipidicman -
    Apparently someone was pawning their son's stuff to buy him a birthday present - some present!
    Sounds absolutely shocking! ;)
    But then, to be fair, how many people sell their kids toys at Boot Fairs and Ebay so they can get the money to buy their kids another, new, gift for birthdays/Christmas? With the pawn brokers, there's even still a chance the boy might get it back again; although unlikely.

Magentasue - that woman retained her sense of humour ... from the *high* she was getting from all that fizzy!!! LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    I didnt see the show myself, but I dont think it was old stuff he had finished with......
    ....a very depressing show
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember a similar one, where they young couple were in 'sooo much debt she didn't know what to do' it ended up that they had a loan from a local loan shark and due to the interest etc on it she was never going to pay it back, it was so depressing to watch when all you really wanted to do was help! The worst thing was, the loan was for something ridiculous like a £100, she scraped to pay back £10 per week, and then on went the interest. She was about my age, although she had nipper in tow - they sold the pushchair for a tenner I think (It was a while back) to pay for the weeks money....then never wanted to leave the flat cause it was hard work to carry baby up and down the stairs.

I think there is a huge lesson to be learnt for people when they are young - that you can't have what you want when you want unless you can afford it!!!! Although I do agree with lipidicman - let others spend spend spend and prop the economy up! But I guess we'll all end up paying one or another when it no longer stays up
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    I caught another programme last night called 'Skint'.................. Depressing stuff.

I saw that too. Pretty frightening really.
    My first thought when the lapdancing girl was pushing her trolley round Asda was "You need MSE old style my girl!"
    She could sell most of hers & her daughters clothes on e-bay & make a fortune.

Interestingly, nearly all of them on the programme smoked................
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    I caught another programme last night called 'Skint'. Really depressing about people who live by pawning their possessions only to buy them back at inflated prices. There was a young woman who repaid her credit card debt by lap dancing for which she had to pay the club owner and hand over a percentage of her tips. She was doing brilliantly I thought by retaining her sense of humour. But again, she was shown pushing a supermarket trolley with 8 2litre bottles of fizzy drinks etc etc and laughing at the camera saying she dreaded that checkout moment. Depressing stuff.

I was going to mention this prog as well. The facilities of Pawn shops does nothing but keep these people in the debt hole they are in. It's so sad
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Although there's nothing quite like a good car boot for clearing the cobwebs, the cupboards and filling the pockets :D
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    MATH wrote:
    I was going to mention this prog as well. The facilities of Pawn shops does nothing but keep these people in the debt hole they are in. It's so sad
    I know! It's not like they're in big amounts of debt either. For a lot of them (I mean those whose main issue is simply that they are on minimum wage or benefits, rather than those with drug problems or similar) if they just did a bit of Old Styling and gave up on materialism for 2 minutes (well, a couple of months anyway) then they could pay their few hundred quid off for good, and suddenly find themselves never having to pay interest to loan sharks ever again.
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    MATH wrote:

I agree, as do loan sharks - and both target the most worse off because they can't get any other form of "credit" in our credit driven society.

Bargain Rzl - hear, hear! But, for some people, pawn shops are *their* way of life - it's the way they know and the way they accept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I dropped down to 4.5k a year while I finished my PhD - that is hard to live on. But I cut everything to the bone and managed. I guess it is easier when it is only for a while, for me it lasted only 2-3 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure