Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Samantha
    • By Former MSE Samantha 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Former MSE Samantha
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy
    • 12th Sep 13, 12:02 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy 12th Sep 13 at 12:02 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Green Star Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 16-02-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Page 1
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 3rd Oct 13, 11:00 AM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    • 3rd Oct 13, 11:00 AM
    • 3rd Oct 13, 11:00 AM
    They came up cheapest for me on Energy club so I took a look at their website as I like to compare the actual until prices. I cannot find the prices on their site at all despite looking and looking. Either I'm making a mistake, or they are deliberating difficult to find. This has put me off from the outset.

Also I find it confusing that Co-op have/had a tariff called Pioneer and to start with I thought they were the same but now I realise (I think) that they are completely different.

The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 3rd Oct 13, 11:16 AM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    • 3rd Oct 13, 11:16 AM
    • 3rd Oct 13, 11:16 AM
    Found the tariff via energy helpline. You can get to it on Pioneer website if you click enrol. I have decided to give them a try as we are high gas users and they work out quite a lot cheaper. I've gone for fixed for 2 year. Not had separate suppliers for as long as I can remember but Pioneer electricity was quite a bit more expensive for me and the dual fuel discount is only £5.25 a year which still does not bring it close. I'll update once my switch has happened.
    Last edited by Dustykitten; 03-10-2013 at 1:29 PM.

• rjhfandclf
    • 4th Oct 13, 12:16 PM
    Good for gas - but NOT IGT supply lines, nor electricity
    • 4th Oct 13, 12:16 PM
    We too found this highly listed by all the compare sites, so emailed them for more info as we are on an IGT (Independent Gas Transporter's) network. Very prompt and polite reply telling us that they could not supply us:

"Thank you for your interest in Pioneer Energy. If your gas supply is served by an Independent Gas Transporter's (IGT) network rather than Transco, as a small supplier, we are unable to quote for the gas supply. You can get further information from the following link: < (not allowed by MSE! - but in fact the energylinx.co.uk link) >"

Also, as with 'Dustykitten', we discovered that they are not (as standard) competitive for electricity, but are consequently an even better deal for gas alone. We presently have a split deal anyway as (much to the surprise it seems of the comparison sites a year ago), this has always proved cheaper, if a bit more cumbersome than dual fuels.

However, still too early it seems for reviews to list them for service factors etc. ... and regrettably no use to us, till they get bigger!
    • redbuzzard
    • By redbuzzard 9th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    redbuzzard
    • 9th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    • 9th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    Looks good for a 24m fix on the dual fuel comparison, but I want to see the rates...doesn't seem possible without clicking 'enrol'...not impressive for a company that claims to be customer centric.

If I have to click 'enrol' to get a quote, just call the button 'quote'.

LISTEN PIONEER - we want to see your prices!

Now looking elsewhere first, too much hassle for now.
    "Things are never so bad they can't be made worse" - Humphrey Bogart
  • mrs_m_goldsmith
    • 23rd Oct 13, 10:14 PM
    Pioneer Rates (at least for Derbyshire)
    • 23rd Oct 13, 10:14 PM
    Hi all,

If you do want to see what your rates would be on Pioneer, just click the Enroll button, fill out the first page to detail what services you require and click Begin. The very next page shows the rates for your area, and you can simply close the browser after that while you consider your options. Nothing will happen until several steps later, when you would be asked to review and confirm.

Here are my results for DualFuel DE postcode (Derbyshire) -- and remember, this can be different for your postcode.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Online discount of £5.25/year and Dual fuel discount of £7.88/year are available for these products.

Electricity Products

Rate Wise Variable Elec
    Just Energy
    Payment Method: Direct Debit
    Unit Rate(Day): 12.375 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 8.008 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.27 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £0.00

Rate Wise 12M Fixed - Elec 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 12 months
    Unit Rate(Day): 11.798 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 7.431 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.27 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £31.50

Rate Wise 24M Fixed - Elec 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 24 months
    Unit Rate(Day): 12.477 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 8.013 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.39 p/day

Gas Products

No Worries Variable Gas
    Just Energy
    Unit Rate: 3.939 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 21.50 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £0.00

No Worries 12M Fixed - Gas 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 12 months
    Unit Rate: 3.781 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 21.50 p/day

No Worries 24M Fixed - Gas 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 24 months
    Unit Rate: 3.812 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 22.32 p/day

STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good Luck!!

Mrs_M_G
    • apt
    • By apt 24th Oct 13, 6:43 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 1,745 Thanks
    apt
    • 24th Oct 13, 6:43 PM
    • 24th Oct 13, 6:43 PM
    They've e-mailed me that they are going to be called Green Star Energy from 28 October. Maybe to avoid confusion with the Co-op's tariffs called Pioneer?
    • alchemyal
    • By alchemyal 27th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    alchemyal
    • 27th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    • 27th Oct 13, 10:21 PM
    Applied to switch on 5/10/2013. Very prompt and easily understood e-mail confirming gas supply only within a couple of days.Seem to be well organised and efficient.
    Switch from Scottish Power appears to be going smoothly. At the time of application their charges for a 2year fix were were amongst the cheapest and these have been confirmed @Unit Rate: 3.812 p/kWh,Standing Charge: 22.32 p/day. Were not that cheap on electricity and for that I have gone to EDF with cash back from the energy club. Will report further should I experience any difficulties
    • Dustykitten
    • By Dustykitten 7th Nov 13, 10:48 PM
    • 16,409 Posts
    • 281,332 Thanks
    Dustykitten
    • 7th Nov 13, 10:48 PM
    • 7th Nov 13, 10:48 PM
    My switch AFAIK completed today. All has been hassle free. I needed to phone to give meter readings as the site was not accepting the details, 0800 number, quickly answered and readings taken, reassurance site is being fixed. So far very happy.

• 2CONFUZED
    Mmmm... first impressions very good. Phone call answered by a very knowledgable human at first try. Sign up procedure very easy today and pricing info very clear. Like the idea of setting your own monthly DD and providing regular meter readings - much more transparent than any of the "big" names. However we shall see what happens firther down the line when switch day arrives. will up-date when I can.
    • craggs
    • By craggs 19th Nov 13, 6:44 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    craggs
    Hello money savers,,these have come up cheaper for me also,about £132 per year saving,Im coming from an old 'online energy saver 4' tarrif from scottish power,so been with them yrs,and very used to the online usage.

Whats the online handling of you account like with green star,is it straight forward,and can you put your meter readings in online.
    Dony worry,be happy...
    • Sstripey
    • By Sstripey 20th Nov 13, 2:13 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Sstripey
    I've just switched today from Scottish Power, despite their trying to tempt me to stay with a £30 sweetener! I liked the look of the 2-year fix Green Star were offering, and will post further progress on this thread.
    • craggs
    • By craggs 25th Nov 13, 4:38 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    craggs
    I've just switched today from Scottish Power, despite their trying to tempt me to stay with a £30 sweetener! I liked the look of the 2-year fix Green Star were offering, and will post further progress on this thread.
    Originally posted by Sstripey
    I am now tied between EDF blue,and the 24 month fixed form Green star. they are both roughly the same EDF £106 saving with £30 cashback and GS is £136 saving no cashback.so even.

It's the managing of the account I'm interested in,I actually like how easy it is to input meter readings into scottish-power.Though they do seem to be a bit greedy with putting the DD up.Also I cannot find much about green stars customer service compared with loads of feedback with EDF.

Have you had time to check the online account management on greenstar? as you will have an idea if its just as easy as SP.
    Dony worry,be happy...
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 13th Dec 13, 6:11 PM
    • 5,044 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    Consumerist
    Possible transfer issue
    I've just been looking at Green Star (formerly Pioneer) Energy tariffs and have discovered a possible problem when it comes to transferring supplies from their dual fuel contracts

From their Ts&Cs :-
    22. Transferring to a new supplier. (a) If you want to transfer to a new supplier, we can only prevent the transfer if: (i) you tell us that you have not entered into a contract with another supplier and you want us to prevent the transfer; (ii) you owe us money; (iii) your proposed new supplier agrees that the transfer was a mistake; or (iv) your proposed new supplier does not apply to transfer all the related meters at the property on the same day. (b)We will take all reasonable steps to send you your final bill within six weeks of the transfer to your new supplier being completed. (c) There is no administrative charge for transferring to a new supplier, and we will do everything reasonably possible to help with the transfer. You may have to pay a termination fee if it applies to your agreement and/or tariff.
    One often hears of suppliers transferring gas and electricity supplies on different dates so be warned.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 13-12-2013 at 6:15 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • rdtrdt
    From their Ts&Cs :-
    One often hears of suppliers transferring gas and electricity supplies on different dates so be warned.
    by Consumerist
    I suspect you may have the wrong end of the stick, caused in part by sloppy T&Cs wording.

The section you've highlighted looks suspiciously similar to a clause EDF has in its Industrial & Commercial Business T&Cs:

http://www.edfenergy.com/products-services/large-business/PDF/EDFE-STANDARD-TCS-DEC-2011.pdf
    18.1.2 the New Supplier’s application only relates to one of the Supply Point(s) at a Site
    and the New Supplier has not applied to Register all other Supply Points(s) for the
    Site on the same date for the same start date;

As such, I suspect that Green Energy are trying to cover a similar situation, ie. multiple gas meters (or multiple electricity meters) at a single site, and are not trying it on through tricksy contractual hoops to cling on to customers attempting to leave them.

It comes down to the definition of "Related Meters", which I suggest must mean meters for the same fuel-type, not meters for different fuel types at the same premises. They could have been clearer, but I suspect a phone call to them would confirm my interpretation.

NB, Even if I was wrong (which I don't think I am!), and your interpretation was the right one, I'm confident that it would amount to an unfair contract term and be unenforceable anyway.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 17th Dec 13, 9:45 PM
    • 5,044 Posts
    • 2,515 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I must confess I was mulling over the meaning of "related meters" and your alternative interpretation seems more likely. I certainly hope so.

Thanks for your input.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • TonyLondon
    • By TonyLondon 12th Jan 14, 7:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TonyLondon
    My current fixed rate scheme ends in March 2014 and I'm interested in Green Star. My main concern is that it's a new company and is therefore unproven in the long term.

I remember how optimistic many were over First Utility when it was the new kid on the block, but it turned out to be an utter shambles. Does anyone have any updates on Green Star?
    • madmum33
    • By madmum33 13th Jan 14, 11:05 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    madmum33
    My current fixed rate scheme ends in March 2014 and I'm interested in Green Star. My main concern is that it's a new company and is therefore unproven in the long term.

I remember how optimistic many were over First Utility when it was the new kid on the block, but it turned out to be an utter shambles. Does anyone have any updates on Green Star?
    Originally posted by TonyLondon
    I think we're on the same tariff, and agree, Green Star look good but it's a worry that there's so little feedback. Further info would be nice!
    • MillicentBystander
    • By MillicentBystander 13th Jan 14, 11:32 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 2,225 Thanks
    MillicentBystander
    Aren't they the UK arm of a decent-sized North American G&E supplier?
    • madmum33
    • By madmum33 13th Jan 14, 11:38 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    madmum33
    I googled and found that they're the UK arm of Just Energy Group, but that still doesn't help with the decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

349Posts Today

4,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • These scams are nothing to do with bitcoin. They are just scams. My view on bitcoin (though a little old now) a? https://t.co/i6rRIOr5hk

• SCAM! SCAM! SCAM! I have nothing to do with 'Bitcoin trading' or any get rich quick type advert or scheme. Don't t? https://t.co/WjitDxAc26

• Now I've heard it all. Apparently my politics is dictated by who follows me! You couldn't make this up. PS and for? https://t.co/hoPf6Jp34N

• Follow Martin