Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 12, 10:16 AM
    • 24,763 Posts
    • 52,139 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:16 AM
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:16 AM
    Can't your Kia dealer tell you that? And supply copies of their warranty?
  • grahamthompson
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:19 AM
    Can't your Kia dealer tell you that? And supply copies of their warranty?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    They just said it would cover 'most' things but not things like tyres. They didn't have a list or detailed warranty info.

I'm also hoping to find out if anyone has actually had repairs done and how easily Kia accepted the work was under warranty.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 12, 10:23 AM
    • 24,763 Posts
    • 52,139 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:23 AM
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:23 AM
    They just said it would cover 'most' things but not things like tyres. They didn't have a list or detailed warranty info.

I'm also hoping to find out if anyone has actually had repairs done and how easily Kia accepted the work was under warranty.
    Originally posted by grahamthompson
    Contact Kia then and ask them

http://www.kia.co.uk/owners/aftersales/warranty.aspx

They must know exactly what they are prepared to accept dealer claims for.

Also remember that just because a car has a long warranty it doesn't mean it will be reliable.
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 12th Oct 12, 12:06 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:06 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:06 PM
    Also remember that just because a car has a long warranty it doesn't mean it will be reliable.
    Very true.

The 5 or 7 year warranty that Kia/Hyundai offer is a part of their "perceived quality" strategy. People automatically assume that a long warranty = good quality. And Hyundai/Kia know that extra cost of around 100 per each additional year of warranty = increased sales.

I've been working in the car industry for many years, and for a number of manufacturers - almost every major car manufacturer has at some stage considered 5 year (or longer) warranty. The incremental cost is very small, but research has show that the older the car is the harder it is to approve warranty claims - after around 3 years wear and tear is the major car breakdown cause, and not manufacturing defects. So in the end when you start rejecting warranty claims you end up with thousands of very !!!!ed off customers. Their trust quickly disappears.

Example:
    A OAP bloke around the corner drives a 4 year old Kia 4WD - last month he took it to his local Kia garage for "warranty repairs": leaking sunroof, sticky handbrake and dashboard rattle. None of the faults were covered by their warranty and he ended up with a 400 bill. They blamed him for the sunroof leak - their excuse was that he doesn't take proper care of his car (ie. not garaged), and the drainage pipes blocked (obviously they wouldn't admit to crap design). Rusty rear brake calliper problem was due wear and tear, and due to wear and tear they don't fix dashboard rattles in 4 year old cars either.

So when buying a new car I would definitely pay more attention to long term quality reports (internet forums, car magazines) than a promise of long warranties covering "most things".
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • jase1
    • By jase1 12th Oct 12, 12:33 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    jase1
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:33 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:33 PM
    Rather more likely to replace dodgy ABS pumps though, eh?
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 12th Oct 12, 12:34 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:34 PM
    GB makes a good point ... after 3yrs almost anything will be deemed wear and tear. However for the warranty to be valid I would expect you'd have to use the Kia garage for servicing. So that means 7yrs of return custom for them - for you the small hope that something will be covered by the warranty.
    • jase1
    • By jase1 12th Oct 12, 12:36 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    jase1
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:36 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 12:36 PM
    GB makes a good point ... after 3yrs almost anything will be deemed wear and tear. However for the warranty to be valid I would expect you'd have to use the Kia garage for servicing. So that means 7yrs of return custom for them - for you the small hope that something will be covered by the warranty.
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    Well no he doesn't raise a good point because I know someone who was refused a repair on an 18 month old Fiesta with a dashboard rattle -- and sticky calipers due to lack of use *is* a wear and tear item.
  • losing my coolant
    • 12th Oct 12, 8:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 12, 8:26 PM

I bought a Kia Venga new in 2010. Warranty is fairly comprehensive, you even get a tyre warranty (limited to defects of course and pro-rata to age of tyre), usual consumables not included.

As for claiming? Well I had a nice big screw in my tyre and like a true chancer tried to make a claim. quite rightly it was declined, but hey you have to try your luck sometimes eh!

Other than that I've had a new boot floor fitted, a new boot latch and a new door latch fitted under warranty, none of these were quibbled but after speaking to other Venga owners, these are common faults. What was a ball ache is that the local dealer keeps no spares, so it was 2 trips per fault, one to diagnose, another when the part was actually ordered in. All fine for me as a I work shifts so don't need a car M-F, ball ache if you do work M-F 9-5 though. You also won't get a wash and vac like you do with paid work.

You can maintain the warranty (to the best of my memory) as long as you use a garage that is VAT registered and uses Kia genuine parts or equiv quality.

Overall I really like the car, but it drinks more than a vampire on a hemophiliac ward! At this time I had had the car getting on for two years, doing a lot of miles for work so I contacted Kia direct to see what they had to say about the woeful MPG (I've always checked the tyres etc are good). They basically admitted MPG in adverts are a hock of ballsacks and said I could pay for main dealer to do a test with putting a bung in the fuel tank and running it to see how far it actually got on X litres. I didn't think there was any mileage in that, I didn't wanna take a massive hit on trading the car in, so I got an LPG conversion. So far very happy with the car on LPG. I had a coolant leak and badgered main dealer to look at it twice under warranty, which to be fair to them they did (in how much detail I don't know as it was on the back of 2 door latch visits) they couldn't find owt and it has voided the warranty on the engine they say (conflict as Kia themselves say its only voided if proved to be the mods). Anyway I got the coolant prob in hand with the LPG engineer, its going back in next week for replumbing. Only time will tell if I did the right thing.

That is my experience with Kia.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 12th Oct 12, 8:41 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    Some of these posts are hilarious, a longer warranty seemingly less desirable than a short one because they're bound to reject most claims due to wear and tear.

Presumably then German makers could make their cars more desirable and reliable by cutting the existing '3 years and you're on your own sucker' warranty to 7 days.

So far people i know of with Hyundai models have run them to very high mileages and still under the 5 year warranties, and the rare problems encountered have A been minor and B been honoured, i see no reason for the company, and include Kia here, to change their policies.

The policy must be working, Toyota have followed suit with 5 year cover, and don't anyone try to say Toyota will try the wear and tear get out as that is as far as possible from the way Toyota do business.

It seems to be European makers stuck in the three year rut, and so long as people are prepared to pay through the nose for the correct badge, why do they need to change.
    • CKhalvashi
    • By CKhalvashi 12th Oct 12, 9:18 PM
    • 8,977 Posts
    • 25,696 Thanks
    CKhalvashi

We've got a couple of Ceed estates on the fleet (crap for what we bought them for, but brilliant cars).

We've had a Turbo go; fixed within a week, and we've also had a boot floor on one of them, which was actually ripped in the course of duty.

The Kia warranty is definitely one of the best for pushing your luck!

CK
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Call me Remainer or Romaniac, but not Remoaner. It's insulting and I have the right to have my voice heard too.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
    • EdGasket
    • By EdGasket 12th Oct 12, 9:25 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 1,446 Thanks
    EdGasket
    Clutches are not covered even if it goes within 2 years and low miles. Many disatisfied people with that one (search internet) especially on the Carens. I think they have fitted a clutch with too weak a spring to make it light but this also causes slip and wear. However they say it is the owner's driving style to get out of the warranty claim even though the owner probably did 100K+ miles on their prevoius car/clutch. Otherwise it's a pretty good warranty.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Oct 12, 9:35 PM
    • 24,763 Posts
    • 52,139 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Some of these posts are hilarious, a longer warranty seemingly less desirable than a short one because they're bound to reject most claims due to wear.
    Originally posted by gilbert and sullivan
    Nah. Missed the point.

I bought two New Mazdas three years ago. As with every Mazda I've owned nothing has gone wrong with them. Nothing. To me that is far more useful than having random faults repaired for free over an extended period
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 12-10-2012 at 9:45 PM.
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 12th Oct 12, 10:08 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    Some of these posts are hilarious, a longer warranty seemingly less desirable than a short one because they're bound to reject most claims due to wear and tear.
    Originally posted by gilbert and sullivan
    And where does it say that?

The 5/7 year warranties are definitely desirable. The point is that thanks to their long warranty their perceived quality is high. But when you look at reliability reports (JD Power, TUV, etc.) their quality only matches your average Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall.

And secondly, before you commit your to a car mainly because of its 7 year warranty that "should cover most things" check their list of exclusions and compare it to the main issues identified in those quality surveys. Clutches covered? No. Transmissions? No. Exhausts? No. Shock absorbers and suspension bushes? No. And the exclusion list will only get longer due to wear and tear (due to age and mileage).
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • GolfBravo
    • By GolfBravo 12th Oct 12, 10:16 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    GolfBravo
    What was a ball ache is that the local dealer keeps no spares, so it was 2 trips per fault, one to diagnose, another when the part was actually ordered in.
    Originally posted by losing my coolant
    Dealers don't keep spares these days, they only keep consumables to keep costs down. All spares are usually despatched by manufacturers for next day delivery.
    "Retail is for suckers"
    Cosmo Kramer
    • jase1
    • By jase1 13th Oct 12, 2:39 AM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    jase1
    their quality only matches your average Peugeot/Citroen/Vauxhall.
    Originally posted by GolfBravo
    /Volkswagen/Seat/BMW...

And in any case this is totally disingenuous.

Those surveys have shown one continuous trend for the best part of 30 years:

Japanese = good,
    French = junk,
    Everything else = somewhere in the middle.

Hyundai are fairly consistently at the top end of the non-Japanese mainstream.

Whether or not you agree with those findings, that is the way these things always play out.

Of course, it should also be noted that Kia/Hyundai are also no more expensive than the other middling marques -- so you're not really paying anything for that peace of mind. Not being as good as the better Japanese manufacturers notwithstanding, it's pretty difficult to get anything more reliable that isn't Japanese for the same money.

The moral of the story is to buy Japanese (and not one engineered outside Japan) in the first place...
    Last edited by jase1; 13-10-2012 at 2:57 AM.
    • jase1
    • By jase1 13th Oct 12, 2:44 AM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    jase1
    Nah. Missed the point.

I bought two New Mazdas three years ago. As with every Mazda I've owned nothing has gone wrong with them. Nothing. To me that is far more useful than having random faults repaired for free over an extended period
    Hmmm.

Try telling that to the Mazda 6 diesel owners, quite a lot of whose cars have gone bang very expensively.

Mazda over the last ten years or so = Ford. As such, inferior to Toyota and Honda, and on-par with Mitsubishi and Nissan who have also had Eurobox infestation in their designs.

All cars have failure rates that are non-zero. All this innuendo about transmissions etc not being covered is just that.

BTW I'm not trying to say that Mazda make unreliable cars, but they're hardly the last word either. They weren't far off 15 years ago, but there are too many plastic Ford compromises littered all about the place now for them to still hold that esteem.

Perhaps now they've split from Ford again they'll improve -- although where that will leave Ford's considerable improvements over the same period from their earlier "Dagenham Dustbin" status remains to be seen.

Because I've been a cheapskate, my last two cars have been Fords. One had a Ford-designed engine, which was a wretched thing -- noisy, prone to poor starting and underpowered compared to its peers. The newer one is a 2l Mazda lump which is an absolute revelation by comparison. Both cars are rattly heaps, and Ford is uninterested.
    Last edited by jase1; 13-10-2012 at 3:10 AM.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Oct 12, 3:49 PM
    • 24,763 Posts
    • 52,139 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Hmmm.

Try telling that to the Mazda 6 diesel owners, quite a lot of whose cars have gone bang very expensively
    Originally posted by jase1

I am one. Only done 50k miles in the three years I've had it but it hasn't gone bang yet.

Planning to keep it at least as long again. Well see.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Oct 12, 4:50 PM
    • 13,010 Posts
    • 9,732 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Also, something to bear in mind is that the 7 year warranty is limited to 100,000 miles.
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 13th Oct 12, 7:21 PM
    • 5,200 Posts
    • 4,900 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    My son in the US bought a new Ford truck with a ten year warranty. Why is Europe so far behind?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter