Kia 7 year warranty

Comments

• And Renault surely. Just because. :)
  • Darth_Emptor
    Darth_Emptor Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 April 2014 at 11:01PM
    Hey there. Been doing a bit of research before buying a 2 year old Sportage. A bit disappointed by the dodgy tales of woe on the web. There's one about Kia UK that is a real cause for concern. I can't post the link but if you go to kia-forums dot com and search for either 69914 or Kia Warranty you will see the complete thread

Yes its a bit old and about a Sedona which is a different vehicle but it's more Kia UK's nit picking attitude that I worry about

I wonder if they have got better over the years....doesn't look likely though if they messed Bufger about over servicing the car 200 miles late

On reflection, I have a good independent mechanic I trust and would always take my car to him than an over priced dealer.

So the 7 year warranty is not a selling point for me. Can I recommend the AA recovery insurance plan instead. I pay £27 per month and so far have had a new battery and starter motor after just paying a £35 excess

Much better option I think
  • Still looking...just came across an interesting comparison. Can't post links but go to the ssangyonggb dot co dot uk slash warranty and they present a table that compares them to both Hyundai and Kia. Kia easily the worst according to them
  • My wife bought a new Rio in 2012. The car itself hasn't missed a beat so far; the only problem was that the key remote stopped opening the car. It was annoying because she could still manually open the car door using the metal key itself, but then the alarm would go off. She took it to the garage and they immediately took full responsibility even though it was certainly my wife's fault (she always throws her keys about and normally breaks everything fairly quickly). Kia fixed the issue straight away but then for some reason also rang me a few weeks later to say that they now had a completely new key and we could have that too if we wanted.

I am really impressed with Kia and in fact have just bought a new Sorento.
  • muffy
    muffy Posts: 8 Forumite
    The warranty from Kia is pretty worthless from my experience. Had some issues in the first year (Door seal split, Sidelight fell out (plastic clip broke) both classed as wear and tear. 2nd year the seat belt frayed (something i have never had before even in second hand cars) again classed as wear and tear.
    Also been complaining about an issue with reverse since the first year and now they are saying there is a problem. But they have to take the gearbox out and see if it is a "warranty" issue. If it isn't £192 bill for telling me and then the cost of a repair on top.
    There has been other issues as well which are all "Not covered under the warranty".
    If you are buying a kia for the warranty, stop and think again.
  • Yeah, it sounds like big con. I was gearing up to buy a 4 year old Sportage from the local Kia dealer. One of the main attractions was having 3 years warranty as you would buying most other cars from new. Think I need to have rethink.

Anyone had any more recent experiences on Kias warranty?
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Some of these posts are hilarious, a longer warranty seemingly less desirable than a short one because they're bound to reject most claims due to wear and tear.

Presumably then German makers could make their cars more desirable and reliable by cutting the existing '3 years and you're on your own sucker' warranty to 7 days.

So far people i know of with Hyundai models have run them to very high mileages and still under the 5 year warranties, and the rare problems encountered have A been minor and B been honoured, i see no reason for the company, and include Kia here, to change their policies.

The policy must be working, Toyota have followed suit with 5 year cover, and don't anyone try to say Toyota will try the wear and tear get out as that is as far as possible from the way Toyota do business.

It seems to be European makers stuck in the three year rut, and so long as people are prepared to pay through the nose for the correct badge, why do they need to change.

Have always thought it strange that Toyota offer 5 years, yet the 'higher quality' lexus brand only offers 3. No wonder their residuals are naff compared to BMW and why there are very few decent leasing deals.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NicKarla wrote: »
    Yeah, it sounds like big con. I was gearing up to buy a 4 year old Sportage from the local Kia dealer. One of the main attractions was having 3 years warranty as you would buying most other cars from new. Think I need to have rethink.

Anyone had any more recent experiences on Kias warranty?

Yes. All problems from a sticky sunroof to a disintegrated clutch and resulting gearbox damage all fixed with no problems. Courtesy cars provided as well as transport to and from the airport so that we didn't miss our holiday flights.

In our experience, the warranty isn't a con. If the new Sportage wasn't so frickin' ugly, we would buy another one tomorrow.
  • How old and milage?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NicKarla wrote: »
    How old and milage?

What now, or when we had the problems?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing