Selling Gold for cash

Options
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone sold any gold for cash. Lots of ads on TV for it at the mo but don't know how reliable they are or if they do the best deals. Would love to hear people's opinions of where I should sell my scrap gold.
Thanks

Comments

• tiaria
    tiaria Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    use hatton garden metals, i sent some 9ct gold for my sister in law and on receipt of it they contacted her and said some of it was 18ct gold. so they are very honest.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    I have sold loads. I weigh it, check how much it is selling per gram and then usually sell via Ebay. I have also sold to a place in my local town.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Hi,

I sent my gold off to post gold for cash on Sat and then stupidly started to research. I found out that Hatton was paying a lot more and decided I would ask for my gold back like the advert says i can when they made the offer.

They rang me today and offered me £475 cheque and £450 if i wanted cash. I asked for my gold back giving them the rate on Hattons website. They revised there offer and although they couldn't match Hatton they offered me £550.

If you do go with one of these sites then it is worth negotiating with them. I think they will try to give you the lowest possible price they can but then will go higher if you request your gold back.

Worth a try anyway and it worked for me.

Nic xxxxx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    My Mum took half a money bag of gold jewellery to a local jeweller and got £250. It was just bits like broken rings that would cost more to fix than it was to buy, broken necklaces, spare earrings etc.
    My Gran also took some and I think she got about £200.
    I wish I had some to sell, probably only got 1 pair of earrings and a necklace! :rotfl:
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    honeyD wrote: »
    My Mum took half a money bag of gold jewellery to a local jeweller and got £250. It was just bits like broken rings that would cost more to fix than it was to buy, broken necklaces, spare earrings etc.
    My Gran also took some and I think she got about £200.
    I wish I had some to sell, probably only got 1 pair of earrings and a necklace! :rotfl:

Unfortunately they were both possibly ripped off....I was initially offered £120 for mine......its now upto £403.....these local jewellers offer very low rates...

Doesnt matter about the condition...its based onthe scap value...it doesnt get fixed...
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • leadhead
    leadhead Posts: 2,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kylie1007 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone sold any gold for cash. Lots of ads on TV for it at the mo but don't know how reliable they are or if they do the best deals. Would love to hear people's opinions of where I should sell my scrap gold.
    Thanks

Hers my story i posted some time ago....since this i have found out it is worth £403.....from Hatton.

How many threads are they on selling Gold...Ive posted this on another two, as i think its important to be aware of the scam going on....

I tried an experiment today(yesterday)...I took five pieces of gold to town with me, to try and find out what i could get for it......

There was a thickish mans chain, a heavy initial ring, a damaged bracelet, a squashed ring and a charm...I had not weighed it, and had no idea of the scrap price...

I went into Albermarle and Bond and was offered £215....

I then went into Ramsdens and was offered £120....I looked at the assistant disgustingly....she asked me if that was acceptable...I told her I had been offered double that only 200 yards down the road......after talking to her colleague, she said..............."ok...we can match that".......WOW £120 increase .......what a rip off these places must be........

and a guy standing in another window next to me had just accepted their first offer of £150 for his......
    Couponing....."every little hurts"

Half of the people can be part right all of the time, Some of the people can be all right part of the time.
    But all the people can't be all right all the time. .........I think Abraham Lincoln said that.
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours, "I said that............................ Bob Dylan 1963
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    leadhead wrote: »
    Unfortunately they were both possibly ripped off....I was initially offered £120 for mine......its now upto £403.....these local jewellers offer very low rates...

Doesnt matter about the condition...its based onthe scap value...it doesnt get fixed...

I guess its a case of what they dont know wont hurt them. They were happy with what they got at the time and nothing they can do now. :o
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • Grek
    Grek Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Hi,

I sent my gold off to post gold for cash on Sat and then stupidly started to research. I found out that Hatton was paying a lot more and decided I would ask for my gold back like the advert says i can when they made the offer.

They rang me today and offered me £475 cheque and £450 if i wanted cash. I asked for my gold back giving them the rate on Hattons website. They revised there offer and although they couldn't match Hatton they offered me £550.

If you do go with one of these sites then it is worth negotiating with them. I think they will try to give you the lowest possible price they can but then will go higher if you request your gold back.

Worth a try anyway and it worked for me.

Nic xxxxx

For what did you request your gold back?
  • djdrever
    Options
    Just as a word of balance, not all independent jewellers are trying to rip people off. Most are extremely honest and lots of them will only buy scrap gold from dealers, not from the public, to protect themselves from dishonest sellers (nick a load of jewellery then sell it for scrap - who's to know?).

Contrary to what's been said above, some pieces DO get repaired and sold as 2nd hand.

My advice is - if you've got broken jewellery, take it to an independent local jeweller with a repair workshop onsite and ask for a quote to get it fixed, it will often cost far less then you may imagine. Wearable jewellery can be worth a lot more than scrap prices, and you'll be doing your local independent guy a favour.

Hope this helps, djd
  • virtuallythere
    Options
    Hi

Found this thread having just unearthed my grandfather's gold sovereign. Tried to find Hatton on Google, to find several different Hattons. Which one would you recommend? I have been advised that it has reduced value as a sovereign due to having a hole drilled to enable him to wear it on his watch chain. Don't know if this is the case :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure