Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hayleythedaisy
    0 WOW
    free tea and biscuit
    • 10th Aug 09, 4:37 PM
    0 WOW
    free tea and biscuit 10th Aug 09 at 4:37 PM
    free tea and biscuits when you give blood - and a buzz from knowing you've helped someone....

go to http://www.blood.co.uk/

ETA I'm bumping this thread as it has been 6 months since it last appeared, everyone who did their first donation last time this appeared should be ready to give again if they haven't already.
    And for anyone who didn't see this last time.
    Thanks to all the donors and the people who would if they could. Your bravery and selflessness if helping this world be a better place and to keep mothers with their child, brothers with sisters, and friends and families together through the worst times. Well done you.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by hayleythedaisy; 08-04-2010 at 4:11 PM.
Page 1
  • formaldehyde_perfume
    • 10th Aug 09, 7:24 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 7:24 PM
    free tea and biscuits when you give blood - and a buzz from knowing you've helped someone....

go to http://www.blood.co.uk/
    Originally posted by hayleythedaisy
    They also had crisps, squash and small packets of jelly sweets when I gave blood in May. Plus you get a sticker saying how much of a brilliant person you've been, quite an esteem booster.
    • Heath84
    • By Heath84 10th Aug 09, 7:33 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    Heath84
    • 10th Aug 09, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 7:33 PM
    They had squash and biscuits when I tried last week.

I'm not very good with blood and had been psyching myself up for ages cos its something I really want to do. Had I been able to just go in and lie on the table and them take my blood everything would have been fine, but the whole screening process of filling the form in and then answering the questions and then telling them where I went in South America and the finger !!!!! and them trying to find a vein in both arms took 20 mins so by that time my brain had told my body that 'medical' things were about to happen to me and I didnt like it so stopped and lay down so I didnt faint. Once I had lain down I realised that I was actually alright, but they didnt want my blood after that and have written little note on my thing saying that I'm a bit wierd and that they dont want my blood for at least a few months.
    • ChelseaGirl
    • By ChelseaGirl 10th Aug 09, 8:05 PM
    • 4,339 Posts
    • 262,755 Thanks
    ChelseaGirl
    • 10th Aug 09, 8:05 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 8:05 PM
    I always pick up the 'My Mum gave blood today' stickers and make my children wear them...
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 10th Aug 09, 8:08 PM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 11,595 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 10th Aug 09, 8:08 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 8:08 PM
    Please! As many of you as possible take advantage of this freebie!
    My lovely mum - who means more to me than I can explain here - had a hip-replacement a couple of years ago. She lost a tremendous amount of blood and needed a transfusion. Quite simply we would have lost her if it wasn't for blood donors - people just like you!
    Blessings and hugs to all of you who give blood.
  • ScittyPopBicks
    • 10th Aug 09, 11:59 PM
    • 10th Aug 09, 11:59 PM
    Who's had it done here? Does it hurt?
    • hunnycat
    • By hunnycat 11th Aug 09, 12:11 AM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 3,243 Thanks
    hunnycat
    • 11th Aug 09, 12:11 AM
    • 11th Aug 09, 12:11 AM
    Originally posted by ScittyPopBicks
    the needle going in is a little uncomfortable at first but its nothing really. I have donated about 4 times now and am due again in a few weeks.

That half hour of your time and slight discomfort can save a life so just go for it!
    would love to win an ipad!
    A-Z Challenge - ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 11th Aug 09, 12:45 AM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 11th Aug 09, 12:45 AM
    • 11th Aug 09, 12:45 AM
    Highly uncomfortable for about 5 seconds, and then it's all over. It doesn't 'hurt' as such. Then after about 5 minutes you feel like you're on drugs as you stagger over to the tea counter for your freebies. Well worth it.

Do something amazing. Give blood.
    Starting Debt: ~20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • formaldehyde_perfume
    • 11th Aug 09, 6:40 AM
    • 11th Aug 09, 6:40 AM
    Originally posted by ScittyPopBicks
    I found that the anaemia finger thing hurt far more than the needle in my arm, I was complaining about my finger for hours lol.

I won't lie, it does hurt while they're putting the needle in for a second or so but after that it's just a sight dull ache in your arm.. Although that may be just me because they had to be rather extreme with me about cutting the blood supply off and 'pumping up' my arm so they could find a vein (they always have trouble finding my veins) but I was determined to give blood.

The worst bit about it all was filling in the form! It is very long winded but you just have to remember that they have to be thorough for your sake and the recipient.

Also if you're a heavy smoker beware that they tell you not to smoke for at least 2 hours after as it may make you feel sick due to the decreased blood in your system making the chemicals more potent.

HTH
    Last edited by formaldehyde_perfume; 11-08-2009 at 6:42 AM. Reason: the word p.rick isn't allowed
    • Lady Fluff
    • By Lady Fluff 11th Aug 09, 11:23 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    Lady Fluff
    ...unless you're a gay or bisexual man, or a man who has ever done anything sexual with a man, even if only once, then you can never give blood ever under any circumstances.

That said, I do tend to give blood when the opportunity arises. They come to my workplace every quarter and employees are entitled to time off to give blood which is good.
    Surveys nerd
  • danceonfire
    It doesn't hurt at all, you just feel a little scratch. If you are concerned, particularly if they have difficulty in finding a vein, you can have a local anesthetic before they take the blood.

It's very worthwhile and I'd encourage you to give as often as you can!
  • Jadeytee
    I'm giving blood for the first time next week. Never been able to before because of having a tattoo or piercing.

I am soooo excited to be doing something good, and hope my blood helps someone out there in need!

Free biscuits wont be sniffed at either, yum yum.
    Wins for 2013: Cafetiere (40), Mangajo Drinks, Alan Partridge goodies
    • Blue___Nile
    • By Blue___Nile 11th Aug 09, 1:04 PM
    • 2,704 Posts
    • 65,309 Thanks
    Blue___Nile
    I would say to anyone who is thinking of doing it...DO IT! They like to recognise people who give blood (e.g. 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50, 75) with certificates etc (www .blood.co.uk/pages/b9_blood.html) and I'm heading for my gold next year (50 donations).

I also have to say the people are always lovely and treat you really well. I'm not lucky enough to get time off from work so take a late lunch and give blood then. Once you have given the first time, the paperwork is hardly anything as they send you the form to do at home before you turn up for your next appointment.

When you have finished they offer you cups of tea, coffee or squash. Biscuits and crisps are always there and lately I've found they offer various chocolate bars (e.g. Aero) and sometimes small packets of cakes.
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 11th Aug 09, 1:08 PM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 14,864 Thanks
    hayley11
    I'd really love to give blood but i'm so scared! I hate needles, I almost fainted having my ears pierced, at 19!! I will do it one day though. My mum needed a blood transfusion a few years ago so i'm very grateful to people that do give blood.
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
  • purplestar87
    while your there you should also see about donating platelets too. it takes an hour(ish) and it can do soo many amazing things. not everyone can do it bt if you can then you should consider it - plus means you get t sit and watch tv for an hour on a big comfy recliner and get your tea n biccies afterwards

ooh ps the scottish blood donor site is www.scotblood.co.uk
    money cant buy you love....why cant i have both???

currently watching my weight go down....59.5 lbs so far
    • Meepster
    • By Meepster 11th Aug 09, 1:17 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 9,286 Thanks
    Meepster
    How's this a "Freebie (no spend required)" ???

You have to pay in blood!!!
  • pinktheatrebunny
    I am very squeamish indeed and i'm going to donate pint 15 on the 24th, the nurses are very kind and if you say you are scared they will distract you (so far in Edinburgh i have been shown pictures of baby bats, discussed art and been told a hilarious story of the nurse's baby propelling himself into the gp's waste paper bin!) ( :

You can donate every 12 weeks in Scotland and 16 in England and Wales (they obviously think the scots have tougher blood!). And i'm the only one in my family who can give, in fact my Mum can't give because my birth resulted in a blood transfusion.

If anyone in Edinburgh needs someone to go with them i am very good at partnering first timers(i make it my mission to take someone new each year), i believe it's the most amazing thing you can give and i'm sure we all know someone who woudn't be here without kind people donating.

x x x
  • Yorkie77
    [QUOTE=Lady Fluff;24115371]...unless you're a gay or bisexual man, or a man who has ever done anything sexual with a man, even if only once, then you can never give blood ever under any circumstances.
    QUOTE]

Slight correction I think.

If you are gay or bisexual you can still give blood, but only if you have never had sex with another man (protected or not).

Therefore it is not the fact one may be gay or bisexual, rather the act of having had sexual intercourse with another man that would preclude one from giving blood.
  • denice37
    right after reading all these posts i'm away to look up when they're next in my area and going to go, tried years ago but because of tattoo was unable to, then kids came along and then more excuses. I also know that i have a rare blood group so i'll see about platelets at same time. Just the incentive i needed! Thanks.
    • luckylouise08
    • By luckylouise08 11th Aug 09, 4:35 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    luckylouise08
    Giving Blood
    I really want to be a blood donor but I queued up for 2 hours once to be turned away. I am just under 8 stone and apparently you have to be over 8 stone to give blood seems ridiculous really...i have been trying to put weight on for years but i am naturally slim and work off the weight quite easily without trying to! I'm trying my hardest to get just past 8 stone so I can be a blood donor. I think its really important.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

7,217Users online

Martin's Twitter