free tea and biscuit

Comments

• kizdeb
    kizdeb Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't give blood as much as i would love to due to having blood tranfusions a couple of years ago, so well done all of you who do.
    If the world didn't suck we would all fall off ;)
  • I didn't like needles when I first gave blood, but kind off got used to it. I still can't watch the needle slip in but I am relaxed with it. When I first started after your 1st visit you were restricted to a soft drink but after that you used to be able to get a can of a well known irish stout, very nice ! Unfortunately I can now no longer give blood, due to having a couple of units after waking up in hospital following being knocked off my motorbike by a car. Without that blood I may not be here.
    Many people don't realise that blood has a shelf life, so can not be stored indeffinately, so they need a constant supply, but none is wasted as when its getting old they can process and seperate certain parts (not sure, platelets etc) and use these.
    Its not that scary, normally just a small scratch, a bit of paperwork and you could save a life, go on, you know you want to :o)
  • Gave blood on Tuesday after a 15 year hiatus! I don't like needles, but after five seconds of discomfort when the needle goes in, you shouldn't have any other problems. And you feel really good about yourself afterwards. Surely that's worth half an hour of your time!

I would recommend making a specific appointment time before attending, though, as I had to wait until they could fit me in - only 45 minutes, but I had been warned it could have been longer.
  • it hurts a whole lot less than realising you could have saved someone you love when they need it, thankfully Ive never known a situation where there hasnt been enough blood, but could you live with yourself?
  • I would like to and think i should ask as i am a rare blood type, but at the mo i dont think i would be allowed to as i am on permanent inhaler and on anti d`s at the mo so dont think i would be allowed, but i do feel i should since i am a rare group!
    I love War Of The Worlds:heart2:
    Justin Hayward Rules with Forever Autumn:smileyhea
  • Hello Lovely People!
    If you're thinking of giving blood, please, please, please do!
    A few years ago after my daughter was born I needed an emergency transfusion. If it wasn't for lovely people who give blood, I wouldn't have had the chance to watch her blossom into a beautiful little girl, and give her a baby brother to grow up with.
    Thank you all. :T
  • teflon
    teflon Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Isis_Black wrote: »
    I would like to and think i should ask as i am a rare blood type, but at the mo i dont think i would be allowed to as i am on permanent inhaler and on anti d`s at the mo so dont think i would be allowed, but i do feel i should since i am a rare group!
    The criteria for who can give blood changes from time to time. The website has a checklist of who can and can't donate at the moment - or give them a ring, I'm sure they'll be happy to let you know for sure (and make an appointment for you!)

I'm now on my fifth donation - and would like to back up what others have said here: it's a little bit uncomfortable for a short amount of time, but a very worthwhile thing to do. And you can get a sticker that says "please be nice to me, I gave blood today".

Also, it's worth mentioning that as well as having donation sessions that visit community halls and the like, some big cities have donor centres where you can drop in without an appointment. I know there's one in London on Margaret Street (just up from Oxford Circus), and in Glasgow there's one on St Vincent Street, near George Square. You should be able to find them on blood.co.uk and scotblood.co.uk.
  • siber
    siber Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 11:40AM
    This also annoys me, one of my friends is 4ft 11 and a very healthy weight for her size but she can't give blood because she's not over 8 stone.. which by the way would make her 'overweight'. And what about people who have the condition that used to be called dwarfism? I think it should be done on BMI rather than actual weight.

As AmySue says, the system is set up to end the donation once a certain weight of blood has been taken. As I understand it, for smaller people, this standard amount is a larger proportion of the total volume of blood in their bodie. Therefore making a donation increases the risk of the donor going into shock which is dangerous and potentially fatal.

Like most of the blood service's rules and regs, this criteria is designed to minimise risk, protecting donors and recipients, and make transfusions easy yet as safe as possible.

Even though I have (had) a phobia of needles, I give blood as often as I can and would encourage all eligible people to do the same, especially if they're blood type O- (a 'universal donor') or one of the rarer blood groups.
    New Year's Resolution: _party_
    Make sandwiches the night before. DON'T BUY LUNCH AT WORK!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sadly I'm not allowed to give blood. They don't even class me as a blood owner let alone donor LOL.

I have every respect for those of you who do this.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Jen_31
    Jen_31 Posts: 343 Forumite
    teflon wrote: »
    The criteria for who can give blood changes from time to time. The website has a checklist of who can and can't donate at the moment - or give them a ring, I'm sure they'll be happy to let you know for sure (and make an appointment for you!)

Also a virtual session here

http://www.blood.co.uk/virtualsession/index.htm

I think it's good if people donate blood, but i'd faint very easily, i just feel the feeling in my stomach and next thing im dizzy and laying on the floor with someone looking down at me wondeing why im laying on he floor :o
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport