free tea and biscuit

Comments

• apparently you have to be over 8 stone to give blood :( seems ridiculous really...i have been trying to put weight on for years but i am naturally slim and work off the weight quite easily without trying to! I'm trying my hardest to get just past 8 stone so I can be a blood donor. I think its really important.

This also annoys me, one of my friends is 4ft 11 and a very healthy weight for her size but she can't give blood because she's not over 8 stone.. which by the way would make her 'overweight'. And what about people who have the condition that used to be called dwarfism? I think it should be done on BMI rather than actual weight.
  • jules888
    jules888 Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ive been giving blood since i was 18 and am 42 now!
  • stokefan
    stokefan Posts: 790 Forumite
    Yorkie77 wrote: »
    Lady_Fluff wrote: »
    ...unless you're a gay or bisexual man, or a man who has ever done anything sexual with a man, even if only once, then you can never give blood ever under any circumstances.
    QUOTE]

Slight correction I think.

If you are gay or bisexual you can still give blood, but only if you have never had sex with another man (protected or not).

Therefore it is not the fact one may be gay or bisexual, rather the act of having had sexual intercourse with another man that would preclude one from giving blood.

trying to word this correctly........ does it matter if you have done things to a womans bum??? can you still give blood then???
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    stokefan wrote: »

trying to word this correctly........ does it matter if you have done things to a womans bum??? can you still give blood then???
    That's fine.

Women also can't give blood if they've had sex in the last 12 months with a man who has previously had sex with a man.
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• stokefan
    stokefan Posts: 790 Forumite
    juno wrote: »
    stokefan wrote: »
    That's fine.

Women also can't give blood if they've had sex in the last 12 months with a man who has previously had sex with a man.

does anyone know the reason why?? seems funny to me. also does it hurt when you give blood?? might give it ago next time there in town
  • System
    System Posts: 178,086 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Managed to get to 25 before some new medication stopped me.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I used to give blood - until a bout of viral hepatatis stopped me - I can confirn that it does not hurt. The finger !!!!! stings, then you can feel the needle go into your arm, but but doesn't actually hurt. Then you just lie back and do nothing! Occssionally I'd feel a little light-headed when I got up, but that passed after my cuppa and custard-cream!
  • Chocmonster7
    Chocmonster7 Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I went to register once but when they found out what medication I was on they turned me away. :(
  • stokefan wrote: »

lmao :rotfl: I was waiting for someone to ask that!
  • Helen_T
    Helen_T Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    A very worthwhile thing to do!

I used to work for the blood service until I left last year to start my nurse training. I'm also a regular donor myself. I gave my 22nd donation in June. All being well I'll be getting my silver award for 25 donations next year :)
    Thanks to all posters!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport