free tea and biscuit

Comments

• They are at my local centre on 11th Sept, so I might go along.

What other criteria do you have to meet, other than being over 8 stone?

Edit:- Just done the little questionaire thingy and I answered yes to the last question as I am on medication for high BP and it said I may not be able to give blood at this time. Does anyone know if I would be ok?

Some blood pressure medications are OK, some aren't. It's best to e-mail or ring them to find out.

Tel: 0300 123 23 23.

Form for medical enquiry: https://secure.blood.co.uk/mqf.asp
  • You can see if you are eligible by answering the questions at blood.co.uk (click on the link on the left hand side 'who can donate'

For some reason it does not ask your weight, but tells you at the very end you can only give blood if you weigh over 50kg (7st 12).
  • I have donated regularly since age 17, it's a cost-free to make yourself feel like an incredible person and who doesn't want that these days? Since there are so many exclusions I think it makes sense to register online and make an appointment. Then you won't be waiting for two hours only to be turned away, as luckylouise08 mentioned.

Personally I don't look at the needle, I find the sight of it a bit nausea-inducing but the "!!!!!" of the finger and the arm is relatively minor. They do warn you beforehand so you have time to look in the corner and take a deep breath. If you don't have time to volunteer regularly, at least you can give 3-4 hours a year and your blood to help your community. I do have to say the biscuits/crackers aren't great but I eat as many as I want and have a lovely time, each time.
    Big MSE fan :Tand proud blogger mummysaver.co.uk
  • denice37
    denice37 Posts: 478 Forumite
    :jj filled out contact details on one of the links now just waiting on them contacting me about next session in my area, brilliant as know i'm negative blood group and just the incentive i needed, thanks.
    :laugh::Sometime I try to be NORMAL. . . But it gets boring so I go back to being me. . .
  • I am thrilled as I have just managed to donate my 50th pint and have a certificate, badge and pen to prove it! I am really pleased that I have persevered as I will have to give up soon because of medication that I am about to take on a permanent basis.
    PLEASE everyone keep on donating and save more lives!!
  • hannah899
    hannah899 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    well done to you all unfortunatly i cant give blood, and if i could i probably would scare everyone off with the screams. my nan had to have a big blood transfusion early this year and her blood types something like AB regis negative and the hospital had to have the blood imported from a different city because no one in leeds has that blood group or they do and donate. so a very big well done to you all:j
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth:rotfl:

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you to all you amazing people who are giving/have given/will give blood!
    Without you - I wouldn't be here. I have the greatest respect for all of you and sincerely hope everyone keeps it up!
    Sadly, I can't donate as I've received a transfusion (or several!) but I'd love to say thanks to you all for doing this incredible thing!
    Not to mention keeping the thread bumped...:)
  • You can now register to be a bone marrow donor whilst giving blood - all it takes is a signature and some thought. NBS will take a sample whilst you're giving blood and send it off for analysis so you don't have to do the thing of getting a pack and getting a test via your GP now.
  • Pamelia
    Pamelia Posts: 5 Forumite
    BIG BIG Thanks to all who give blood. I'm here because I recieved two blood transfusions last year. So very VERY grateful.
  • kajpoll wrote: »
    I am thrilled as I have just managed to donate my 50th pint and have a certificate, badge and pen to prove it! I am really pleased that I have persevered as I will have to give up soon because of medication that I am about to take on a permanent basis.
    PLEASE everyone keep on donating and save more lives!!

That's amazing, at a conservative estimate you must have saved 10 lives! :T :A Have a long distance round of applause and the excuse to feel smug all day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure