free tea and biscuit

Comments

• I'd love to give blood but Gay Males arn't allowed to.
    Merry Christmas MSE!
  • aardvark65
    aardvark65 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you click through to the link on the original post, you can answer the relevant questions to see if you are eligible. Some of the points listed have a time limit and the weight thing says you have to be 7st 12lb or above so people should check through the questions.
  • BikerEd
    BikerEd Posts: 405 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 8:51AM
    Consider giving platelets if you live near a permanent donor centre e.g. Southmead Hospital in Bristol. You can give as often as every two weeks and you give two or three donations at a time, which add in those multiples to your donation count so 50, 100 etc. comes around very quickly - I'm up to 68 already in what seems like a very short time. Unlike red blood cells, platelets are replaced in your body in just five days - but that also means they have a short shelf life and don't live long in the recipient's body so frequent transfusions (and therefore frequent donations) are needed. Donation takes a couple of hours but you get to sit back in a very comfy chair, read the paper, use your phone and have unlimited drinks and biscuits/cakes. Not everyone is suited - you need a high platelet count and good veins but they'll check all this out for you. Just ask at your next session, or give NBS a ring.
  • Peggysboy
    Peggysboy Posts: 13 Forumite
    I was a regular donator of blood and had earned my Gold Silver and Bronze badges when they introduced the ban on gay and bisexual men who had had sex with another man and was automatically barred for which I am still angry.

I think the guy who points out that is not the fact you are gay or bisexual the bars you but the fact you have had sex with a man is splitting hairs to a ridiculous degree.

One could of course lie and they would be none the wiser and never having had unsafe sex or indeed ANY sexually transmitted disease and chosen to be tested and cleared of being HIV positive when the opportunity arose I considered this but decided against it as I do have some pride and if they choose to continue to discriminate I know it is not me who is responsible for any shortage of blood
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I didn't think I could give blood due to health reasons, but I phoned up to check and I'm now signed up as a donor and give my first lot of blood in the first week of September.

I feel really lucky to be able to do this as I have so many friends and family who can't give blood (medical and sexual reasons, plus piercings and tattoos).

Un sou est un sou
  • AmySue
    AmySue Posts: 7 Forumite
    This also annoys me, one of my friends is 4ft 11 and a very healthy weight for her size but she can't give blood because she's not over 8 stone.. which by the way would make her 'overweight'. And what about people who have the condition that used to be called dwarfism? I think it should be done on BMI rather than actual weight.

It's not really anything to do with being underweight. It's because someone who weighs less will have less blood than someone heavier. So a pint will be a bigger proportion of the total blood you have. e.g. (and I'm making up the numbers here...) if you are small and have six pints of blood, one pint is a sixth of the total you have, but if you are bigger and have ten pints, it's only a tenth. You would be more likely to feel ill afterwards and it would take you longer to recover.

It is a shame that you can't, but it's for your own safety.
  • Peggysboy wrote: »
    I was a regular donator of blood and had earned my Gold Silver and Bronze badges when they introduced the ban on gay and bisexual men who had had sex with another man and was automatically barred for which I am still angry.

I think the guy who points out that is not the fact you are gay or bisexual the bars you but the fact you have had sex with a man is splitting hairs to a ridiculous degree.

One could of course lie and they would be none the wiser and never having had unsafe sex or indeed ANY sexually transmitted disease and chosen to be tested and cleared of being HIV positive when the opportunity arose I considered this but decided against it as I do have some pride and if they choose to continue to discriminate I know it is not me who is responsible for any shortage of blood

It's not me splitting hairs, them's the rules:

http://www.blood.co.uk/pdfdocs/position_statement_exclusion.pdf

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

In this way they can say they are not discriminating against gay/bisexual people, rather just a particular sexual act.
  • I always get a little anxious before donating, that's natural, but to anyone who's not been before, try finding a 'blood buddy', that is, someone who has been before and can tell you firsthand what it's like and what happens and will go with you to your first session. It's a great way of 'recruiting' and also sharing the 'experience' of doing something that is, let's face it, rather unnatural! The blood team I visit are incredibly friendly and always immensely grateful and I'd like to say thank you to them for always having my health and welfare in mind whenever I visit. Go on, it really is worth every millilitre you can squeeze out
  • i'm donating this afternoon, and it'll be my 3rd go. it makes me feel pretty funny afterwards, but i'm pretty sure that's just psychological!! ;)

the first time i went many years ago i was anaemic so couldn't donate, and the second time they took ages to find a vein, and when they eventually did, no blood would come out! i have quite low blood pressure, and the nurse advised that next time i go for a jog round the room before i donated :eek: i think she was joking... so the next time i went i made sure i had had plenty to eat and drink about an hour or so before going, and that seemed to do the trick. i promised myself i would start to go more often but i haven't stuck to it, so after this donation today i am going to PROMISE to start going more regularly - it doesn't hurt, you get free biscuits, and last time they gave me a toy 'Billy Blooddrop', so it's not all bad!! :T
    2011 wins: £481
    Eleventh Heaven: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
  • SammyS1987
    SammyS1987 Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've done it five or six times now and it doesn't hurt really. The first time I gave blood was when I was 17 and didn't have a job so just went for something to do. In my experience the mobile units are better than the guys that set up in your local community centre ir whatever. It's meant to be good for you too because your body has to generate new blood to replace the pint or so that you have lost.

Also you never know what might happen, You could have an accident the following week and end up getting your own blood back.
    Another good point is that you get to find out your blood group if you don't already know it. And they will check your blood for diabetes and HIV etc so well worth doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure