🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Orlando/Disneyworld Thread (Part 3)

Options

Comments

• ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's a pre-pay card, not a credit card, credit being the valid word there - the hire company want to be able to take the cost of any damage on the car from your credit card, so having a card with a few hundred quid on it would not be enough - that's why it's a credit card and not a debit or pre-paid card they want.

They swipe the card to check it's good, but don't take any money.
    Is there anyone in your group who has a credit card -could they hire the car and have you as an additional driver?
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • jevsy
    jevsy Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    We're goin on a Caribbean cruise soon. We can take some wine on the boat with us but our problem is we won't have time to buy any in the US when we get there before embarkation!
    Would we be allowed to pack some in our suitcase (flying NWA/KLM/DELTA) ?
    Thanks
  • atro1
    atro1 Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Options
    JEVSY. Should be no problem as long as its in checked in luggage.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • jevsy
    jevsy Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    atro1 wrote: »
    JEVSY. Should be no problem as long as its in checked in luggage.

Wasn't sure if it was an issue for the US or not, seeing as my hubbie was stopped before and it was a can of HP baked beans to blame! Thought maybe you weren't allowed to take ANY food or drink products into US at all, customs or summat!
  • Happyshopper_3
    Options
    Just got back from Orlando 2 hours ago , dont know how iam still awake , flight was delayed :rolleyes: and can never sleep on planes.

Weather was very hot !! so make sure you drink plenty and have a high sun factor , especially if going to the beach . On some days it was over 100 !!

Seaworld was fab , recommend feeding the dolphins , Cost $7 per person .

Disneys Magic Kingdom was so busy that we only went there one day , the american kids start back to school this Monday so probably why. Other parks wasnt bad but still long queues for rides like test track and Sorin , best to get fast passes.

If you have a allergy to food and at disney tell them at any resturant or food place , they then go and get the manager who will show you a menu you can order from . If you are Gluten free like me , then Publix supermarkets do a small selection in their Greenwise section , you can get gluten free cookies , oat biscults , then take these in to disney with you for a snack.

Hope this helps .

We flew Virgin premium and then stayed at James villas (villas wasnt that good even tho we paid more )
  • disney_cjd
    disney_cjd Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    atro1 wrote: »
    Put a request for a quote into all three plus I would put a request into the DIBB villa section. You will be inundated with villas.:rotfl::beer:

and haggle them down
    Self confessed Florida expert :) with over 320 trips there!
    Co host of the Disneybrit and Eye on Orlando Podcasts
    and Craig Duncan Soul Show on Orlando Sky Radio :)

• disney_cjd
    Options
    jevsy wrote: »
    We're goin on a Caribbean cruise soon. We can take some wine on the boat with us but our problem is we won't have time to buy any in the US when we get there before embarkation!
    Would we be allowed to pack some in our suitcase (flying NWA/KLM/DELTA) ?
    Thanks

hi you may have to pay corkage as well, so hide it in your cabin

• disney_cjd
    Options
    mikee31 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Interesting posts with some useful information so many thanks for this.

I am looking to take the family (wife and two kids ages 8 and 4) sometime next year to Orlando for a week (will probably just do the Disney Parks) and then perhaps Ft. Lauderdale for a week at the beach, etc. I haven't been for about 12 years so somewhat in the dark about a few things (particularly taking kids) so have some queries which I would be grateful for info on;

Best time to go? - By this I mean in terms of smaller queues, cost and weather, and given the age of kids (happy to take kids out of school as we've never done it before).

Best airport to fly from/to? We would be flying from any of the London Airports and I have heard that Orlando Int is much better than Sanford. Personally would't be too bothered as long as we get there ok!

Best airline to fly with? - I say this as given the flight times keeping the kids happy/entertained/comfortable is essential. However, cost will probably be the determining factor!

Best type of Disney Ticket to get? - Presumably the 7-day hopper would be suitable for the Disney theme parks and Water Parks for a week?

How much spending money to take? - Understand this is a bit vague given everyone is different and exchange rates, etc. But what would an average days food and drink amount to. The shopping/nights out/excursions, etc I would budget for seperately.

Sorry to ramble but any comments would be much appreciated.

Hi Mike

I agree as usual with Karen

I would say that Ft Laud is not th best. I am still in Florida, been here a month and just had a few days at Clearwate. The Hilton in the beach is great but its now in the Virgin book so is very full of us brits and some of the football shirt lot too.

As for airlines you could try tampa as an airport and look at BA espicially if you stay in clearwater for a week etc thens it like 15 mins away. Orlando is only 1 hr 40 mins drive away.

i would avoid Sanford unless costs dicate you need a charter flight

As for time to go November is nice but it does get dark early and can get a chill. I would pick September to be honest, all kids back at school and its empty. Also Feb is nice. The busy times will be easter, summer july aug, thanksgiving (late nov) and Christmas

i have a 7 and 5 year old so shout if you need anything else.

Cheers
    Craig

• atro1
    atro1 Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    Options
    Craig I have to disagree with you. I went to Sanford this year for the first time in 14 years. I thought it was great. I had my baggage and through Immigration in 20 minutes and was actually on the road in 40 minutes. Busy I4 but I still think I was in the villa up on the 27 quicker than coming from MCO.
    Leaving Sanford. Thought the airport was ok too. Man giving away samples of spirits, a out side balcony with a bar[smoking allowed] far more comfortable than the MCO and the food was better too.
    I think like Luton and Stanstead Sanford has come a long way.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • janec
    janec Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi
    i agree that sanford is fine.we went in june and it was quick for immigration.
    thinking about the rides,a couple of them have single rider queues which we stumbled upon.you queue together then make up numbers so are usually fairly close together and waiting is much quicker.test track was about 15 mins instead of 45 and the yeti ride at animal kingdom was almost walk on instead of 40 mins wait.we went on 5 times in a row.mine are 7 and 10 and were fine on there own.i would definately recommend it for a few extra goes!:j
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family