Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Yorkshirechick
    Food to take on holiday in a caravan?
    • 6th May 09, 6:21 PM
    Food to take on holiday in a caravan? 6th May 09 at 6:21 PM
    Does anyone have any ideas what I should take for a weeks holiday in a static caravan?

We will be having some meals out, but want to cook a lot at the caravan, as we're trying to watch the pennies.

We will be taking bread and milk, tea and coffee, and cereal. Any other ideas? We will probably have breakfasts in the caravan, and then quite a few lunch and dinners, but not all.

I don't want all ready meals, but don't want to spend a long time cooking either... :confused:

Will be waiting for your ideas. Thanks x

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 12-05-2009 at 8:11 PM.
    Debts May 09 100 Od, 1550 boiler, 1750 400 credit card Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 Total so far 1200
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 6th May 09, 6:35 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 6th May 09, 6:35 PM
    • 6th May 09, 6:35 PM
    Hi Yorkshirechick,

There are lots of ideas that should help on these threads:

weekend in a caravan what to take?

Caravan, camping and holiday cookery

Pink
    • ginandtonic1988
    • By ginandtonic1988 6th May 09, 6:39 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    ginandtonic1988
    • 6th May 09, 6:39 PM
    • 6th May 09, 6:39 PM
    Im on holiday at the moment in my tourer van. Im on my own without the teenagers so we are being a bit lazy and using jars and convienence food which we wouldn't at home. When we holiday with the kids we usually make out of 500g mince a chili that we take in the slow cooker and plug that in once we get there and it cooks whilst we set up camp. I take Lasange for the next day that I made at home the night before. I take quiche that I have I put in the freezer that I made last month and then fish and chips from the van that comes round. That usually takes care of 4 nights, I take my Remoska and cook toad in the hole night 5 and sausage casserole night 6. Night 7 we would eat out. Hope that all makes sense as I've had half a bottle of wine whilst cooking dinner!!

Happy holidaying x Gin x
  • wigglebeena
    • 6th May 09, 6:45 PM
    • 6th May 09, 6:45 PM
    A whole lot of 7p noodles and cuppa soups - you can add fresh veg to either (even if it's a chopped up tomato and bit of cucumber) and tuna or some other protein, to improve them nutritionally.
  • keys
    • 6th May 09, 6:53 PM
    • 6th May 09, 6:53 PM
    Hi Yorkshire ... If you have plenty of room in a car boot i find you can fill a holdhall with all sorts of useful easy to cook goodies , which i find will save you lots of money than on the campsites . With the added extra that you wont have to bring the items back home with you again .

Here are a few suggestions that will keep for the journey :

• Eggs- scrambled for brekkie / omellets/ fried which you can make egg chips and beans
    • Frozen sausages for the day you arrive or the following day
    • A variety of processed tins peas/ beans/ toms/ carrots etc
    • loaf of frozen bread to keep you going - toast / sandwiches
    • paste jars for sandwich fillers
    • packs of sliced ham / beef/ turkey / gammon/ chicken pieces - which can be warmed in the microwave for a meal with mash and veg or chicken n chips
    • tinned soups /
    • fresh / tinned fruit with tinned cream for desserts
    • Cereal
    • Pasta along with a jar of pasta sauce
    • tuna and sweetcorn tins - tuna pasta bake maybe
    • Bacon rashers
    Items i would buy once i arrived would be potatoes or frozen chips / butter and cooking oil unless you take some in a pot with you . Some boxed sponge cakes etc for desserts and yogurts
    Ebay Bag A Day Challenge 2012-
    *10 a Day Febuary Challenge
    66.23 / 290
    2 savers#131
    Crazy Clothes Challenge Me 3.99/ 200 Dd 16 /200

• webitha
    • By webitha 6th May 09, 8:12 PM
    • 4,643 Posts
    • 9,573 Thanks
    webitha
    • 6th May 09, 8:12 PM
    • 6th May 09, 8:12 PM
    my static has a proper cooker in it (tho the grill pan is quite tiny) so i have done a full roasty in mine
    If we can put a man on the moon...how come we cant put them all there?

• Sublime
    • 6th May 09, 8:30 PM
    • 6th May 09, 8:30 PM
    If I was on a budget, I would personally take enough for a full English breakfast in the mornings (bacon, baked beans, eggs, mushrooms, sausages, toast, tomatoes). That should last you till the evening with a snack meal (chips, fruit, salad, sandwiches, whatever) during the day, you probably wouldn't feel like too much after that! . Then you can decide whether to go out or just have something simple in the evenings, like burgers, chilli, or hotdogs, with yes more (ready prepared) salad.

You are going on holiday, so make things easy on yourself foodwise, and most importantly have a great time!
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 7th May 09, 10:27 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    • 7th May 09, 10:27 PM
    • 7th May 09, 10:27 PM
    Taking a slow cooker is a brilliant idea. The alternative would be to slow cook one or two things at home while you are doing other meals and then freeze in blocks to take with you. You can even freeze cooked rice. Then all you need to do when you get there is bung it in a pan or microwave. I find that blocks of frozen chilli take ages to defrost so you needn't worry about stuff going off. Other than that, I find we need lots of biscuits, fruit and crisps. For some reason, we're hungrier when we're away and it's nice to sink into a chair with a cup of tea and a snack. Plus they make the sandwiches go further.
  • Olliebeak
    • 7th May 09, 10:53 PM
    • 7th May 09, 10:53 PM
    I use packs of savoury rice - some cooked sausages chopped up and then stirred through those are great . Can also do the same with the packs of pasta and sauce.

I'm going away to a caravan for two weeks on Saturday (two more sleeps ) but as we travel by National Express/CityLink - we can't really take much with us in the way of food. But in my bag there will be half rolls of clingfilm/tin foil/kitchen roll plus a good potato peeling knife (I always find peelers/cooking knives in caravans are rubbish!). I've been collecting packet sugars/small black peppers/sauce packets for ages - those are now in sandwich bags .
  • CFC
    Cookers in caravans tend to have slow ovens, I personally find, I will never do another roast in one again.

I tend to hit a mid range between cooking and ready meals - so I'll buy a cheap bottle of pasta sauce and cook mince and add the sauce rather than messing around with chopped tomatoes, onions and seasonings. Sausages and oven chips, other stuff picked up on the day, all no effort required cooking and not too much washing up either. Packets of flavoured rice as another poster has mentioned; also fresh ravioli kind of stuff, not expensive, that and some pesto and cheese is a meal fit for a king, takes 5 minutes and again, little washing up. I hate peeling spuds so there's no way I want to be doing that on my hols if possible. If you are going out in a car you can nip into the nearest big supermarket and just pick up that night's dinner. I've given up on taking much actually with us in the car these days as there are not many places where there won't be a Tesco or similar.

I agree with other posters - a really nice brekkie in the morning just means sandwiches for lunch - which can be made and taken with you if going out - and a dinner in the evening, job's a good un!
    Last edited by CFC; 08-05-2009 at 12:32 AM.
  • Sublime
    Taking a slow cooker is a brilliant idea. The alternative would be to slow cook one or two things at home while you are doing other meals and then freeze in blocks to take with you. You can even freeze cooked rice. Then all you need to do when you get there is bung it in a pan or microwave. I find that blocks of frozen chilli take ages to defrost so you needn't worry about stuff going off. Other than that, I find we need lots of biscuits, fruit and crisps. For some reason, we're hungrier when we're away and it's nice to sink into a chair with a cup of tea and a snack. Plus they make the sandwiches go further.
    Originally posted by Patchwork Quilt
    I forgot about that. I use mine loads, easy.
    • JSF
    • By JSF 8th May 09, 6:43 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    JSF
    Anything simple can be cooked in a caravan, else agree ..try the local pubs.

Good washing up liquid is normally what I forget or need.
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 8th May 09, 6:50 AM
    • 778 Posts
    • 2,012 Thanks
    angela110660
    Agree with all above ideas and would add - take own sauce, salt and pepper etc as always costs a bomb in shop on site. We always bring own cereals, tea, coffee,sugar,bread, marg, jam etc. and enough for at least one main meal. I am sure there will be a supermarket en route or nearby to get the rest fresher once you are there. Have a lovely time.
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013 saw 7 films; 2014 and 2015 saw 1 in each. Nothing since!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Static caravans are just like normal homes and generally have a full size oven...so you can cook everything you can at home really.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 8th May 09, 10:03 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 4,947 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    my parents have a touring van with an oven - but still prefer to bbq - if the weather is not too inclememt - knowing the taste is better than oven cooked meat- they are on holiday, have all the time in the world, and my dad is king of the barbi and its the only time he cooks (apart from the occasional meal in the microwave when my mum is out) and will put up with all weather that can be controlled with a golfing umbrella.... and my mum enjoys the fact that she is on holiday and only has to prepare salad! it is worth taking a portable barbeque (or disposable) just to make a change!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • b3nton
    mmmmm, barbeque.

Take lots of meat! mmmm...
    Last edited by b3nton; 16-05-2009 at 5:58 PM.
    • mandragora
    • By mandragora 8th May 09, 11:23 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 4,751 Thanks
    mandragora
    I agree with the post about cooked brekkie (make it brunch!) and then last for the rest of the day, just doing - or buying - a meal for the evening. Take bacon, eggs, sausages, butter, nice bread and a man to cook it all for you.
    • shopndrop
    • By shopndrop 12th May 09, 10:50 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 19,400 Thanks
    shopndrop
    We have a tourer and always take my slow cooker, Remoska and BBQ. Definitely take the basics with you as the site shops are always really expensive. We also tend to have quite a few pasta meals with different sauces or even a pasta salad if the weather is good.
  • Dreamy
    When we go away I always take a few ready made meals that just need to defrost and be heated through personaly start about a month befote we are going and make two of something we are having and freeze it then just as we are leaving pop in a cool bag never been defrosted before we got there or even the next morning (midnight couldn't find shally two tired boys just grabbed toys an pjs !) also even though theres only a fridge have still had to take stuff out to defrost as they take ages we like lasagna, buritos and cottage pie type dishes this I think is why they take so long to defrost theres no air spaces in them. Would also say take loads of snacks we seam to go throught tones and extra cereals and more bread then I ever think we will need I also pack jelly and angel delight brill quick and easy puds that don't take up much space can add a tin fruit if you like.
    I also always take a frozzen milk as we have two small boys and go through alot this keeps the fresh bottle cool in the bag and means Im not having to go wondering round in the middle of the night in the middle of no where cause babs has just drunk the last of the milk and wants more !

Don't forget your washing up stuff tea towel kitchen roll and toilet roll ! oh and don't bother with haven never had a worse holiday
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 13th May 09, 4:46 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Further to the above advice, I would suggest taking a supply of canned food with you. It is one time I use tinned new potatoes. No washing and peeling involved. Similarly with other canned veg such as sweetcorn/peas/green beans, especially if you only have a little box freezer compartment. Tins tomatoes or passata for pasta. Tinned meat such as ham or corned beef, tins of tuna and salmon.
    Smoked sausage and gammon steaks have a long shelf life, so ideal for taking away with you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin