Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• Typo22
    Typo22 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it just me or is Sky trying to mislead us?

I've had an email & letter saying "12 months of new offers" & "our way of saying thank you for being with us". Only it turns out these discounts are less than my existing ones so I'll pay £4 p.m. more, & in a few months another £12 p.m. more.

Obviously I'll phone retentions & haggle or leave, it's just the obfuscation of them not saying "here's what we're going to charge you in future" that has got my back up!
    Ian
  • marco44
    marco44 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I received the same letter.
    My contract is coming to an end. I contacted sky through chat. I tried to negotiate a better deal. They made me an offer but I cancelled my contract and it ends in 30 days.
    I’m expecting them to contact me and ask me to change rmind.
  • westy85
    westy85 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Just rang sky and after getting through to cancellations was offered a discount of £42.50 a month (£510 a year) on my existing package. Really chuffed! :j
    Homeowner with 1st mortgage sine Dec 09
    Golf handicap: [STRIKE]28[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]27[/STRIKE] 26
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    westy85 wrote: »
    Just rang sky and after getting through to cancellations was offered a discount of £42.50 a month (£510 a year) on my existing package. Really chuffed! :j

Very good and we are pleased you are happy - but without saying what your package is, or what the price achieved was, it is difficult for anyone else looking at this thread to know what is possible (and whether you could have achieved an even lower price).
  • bobstheboy
    Options
    It's good to see what others are getting but a total figure is useless. Please itemise the deal so others can see what is attainable. There are many variations in a package.
  • noddy_cook
    Options
    Thought I would share my experience of renewing with Sky today. I was very tempted to walk away completely this time and go 100% streaming but decided to stay.

This is based on being an existing Sky Q subscriber.

Entertainment £15
    Ultimate On Demand £3 (this was a big factor in staying as includes Netflix)
    Kids £1
    HD £1

Total £20

Compared to current new customer price of £42 represents over 50% off.

Hope it helps anyone else, o and this was on my first web chat without cancelling. I just threatened to, saying most our viewing was Netflix etc now.
  • Alpha_5
    Alpha_5 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thought I would share my experience of renewing with Sky today. I was very tempted to walk away completely this time and go 100% streaming but decided to stay.

This is based on being an existing Sky Q subscriber.

Entertainment £15
    Ultimate On Demand £3 (this was a big factor in staying as includes Netflix)
    Kids £1
    HD £1

Total £20

Compared to current new customer price of £42 represents over 50% off.

Hope it helps anyone else, o and this was on my first web chat without cancelling. I just threatened to, saying most our viewing was Netflix etc now.
    Thanks for sharing. Out of interest, at what point was this offer made?
  • noddy_cook
    Options
    I was probably on chat for about an hour in total. There first offer had entertainment at £20 which I said was too much for me. They said they could explore ‘a final option’ and a few minutes later came back with entertainment at £15.

thanks
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    According to the MSE newsletter this week, price rises have been announced for TV and broadband. Apparently this gives you a chance to cancel broadband penalty free/attempt to renegotiate, but not TV.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/02/sky-to-hike-broadband-and-tv-prices-for-millions/

• Vegastare
    Options
    I hate dealing with SKY.......last ime contract was renewed partner was on the phone nearly 45 mins before telling bloke he had lost the will to live and passed phone to me......its there game to keep you on as long as possible and hope you will get fed up and take what they offer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback