Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• bels333
    bels333 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

was looking for some advice, we were delayed 19 hours in Tenerife with Jet2 this week due to a Jet2 plane landing and the wheels exploding on the runway at Tenerife South Airport. (If you dare google it there are pictures of the plane!). In the letter they gave us at the airport it says the delay was 'due to unforseen operational reasons'. Many other planes managed to take off but we got delayed 19 hours and had to sleep on the floor until 1:30am until we were given a hotel.

As the plane that caused the issue with the runway was a Jet2 one and we were flying with Jet2, would we be eligible to claim under EU rule 261/2004 or would this likely be classed as an exceptional circumstance?

Just wondering what to do now! My travel insurance company were quite rude and said I can't claim with them as its not in their list of acceptable reasons.

Thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bels333 wrote: »
    Hi there everyone,

was looking for some advice, we were delayed 19 hours in Tenerife with Jet2 this week due to a Jet2 plane landing and the wheels exploding on the runway at Tenerife South Airport. (If you dare google it there are pictures of the plane!). In the letter they gave us at the airport it says the delay was 'due to unforseen operational reasons'. Many other planes managed to take off but we got delayed 19 hours and had to sleep on the floor until 1:30am until we were given a hotel.

As the plane that caused the issue with the runway was a Jet2 one and we were flying with Jet2, would we be eligible to claim under EU rule 261/2004 or would this likely be classed as an exceptional circumstance?

Just wondering what to do now! My travel insurance company were quite rude and said I can't claim with them as its not in their list of acceptable reasons.

Thanks

Hi bels333,

Were you due to board the same aircraft back to Manchester that burst its tyres or were you due to depart on another Jet2 flight?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • bels333
    Options
    A different aircraft, the one with the broken wheels that caused the runway to have issues was a Manchester arrival and ours was Leeds. The letter they gave us at the airport had no details of what had happened it just said 'due to unforseen operational reasons'
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bels333 wrote: »
    A different aircraft, the one with the broken wheels that caused the runway to have issues was a Manchester arrival and ours was Leeds. The letter they gave us at the airport had no details of what had happened it just said 'due to unforseen operational reasons'

Your situation is tricky as you were affected by a closure of the only available runway at TFS. The fact it was caused by another Jet2 aircraft does not enter into it.

Had your aircraft already landed before the incident? or could it not land due to the runway being blocked?

Following the incident, ATC at TFS would have immediately instructed other incoming aircraft to hold and then divert to alternate airports. For that reason I think it's very unlikely that you will qualify for compensation.

Put your flight details into a couple of online flight delay calculators, such as Bott & Co, to see what the claims companies say.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • bels333
    Options
    Thanks Tyzap I thought as much. The aircraft hadn't set off I think it was grounded in Leeds.

I've gone on the Bott & Co website and have instructed them to pursue it for me rather than attempting to do this myself as its not so straightforward. I suspect it will be rejected but worth a try all the same.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If Bott & Co have taken it on they must think they have a prety good chance of success.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Tyzap, it will be a difficult one to win - but best of luck - I suspect that this will be classed as ATC restrictions- I don't think Botts will take it on, but I hope I'm wrong and wish you all the best with your claim.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bels333
    Options
    Yep Bott & Co have taken it on! Will keep you all posted on where we get with it all. Still don't think we will get anything but we shall see.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bels333,

Thank you for keeping us informed of progress, I'm surprised that Botts have taken your case on, they may know something that we don't...

All the best
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • bels333
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned over the bit of the Bott & Co T&Cs where it says

'2. What do I pay if I lose?
    If you lose you pay your opponents charges and disbursements. You may be able to take out an insurance policy against this risk. If you lose you do not pay our charges but you may be required to pay our disbursements.'

Earlier on in the document it says

'Also although we have retained the right in the Conditional Fee Agreement to ask you to pay disbursements we reasonably anticipate that we will not have to ask you to fund any such item but rather Bott and Co Solicitors Ltd will fund the disbursements on your behalf and ordinarily seek to recover these sums from the airline.'

Is there a chance I could end out of pocket pursuing this? I was under the impression that you only pay if you win but this contradicts itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure