PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• JensFeet
    Options
    Welcome to the thread CasperCat and Rebelle... Hope you also find the inspiration here that's been helping me and my family to save a fortune on not shopping!!

Meal plan gone perfectly so far this week and the freezer is showing teeny tiny gaps. I went to Lidl yesterday for courgettes but there weren't any - I read that the floods in Spain has affected their availability. Oh well we coped just fine without them. Did top up with milk, bread, single cream and x2 breakfast cereal for the kids £5.29 for the week - although I'm away for the weekend with friends and OH and kids are on a steak promise so will need to buy in as there is none 'in stock'.

Still have 2 portions of spicy bendy parsnip soup and think that will go in freezer today as I have zero appetite and nobody else will eat it. Meal plan for chicken, bacon and kale soup so chicken breast out but it is HUGE! So think will also make a chicken korma for the kids curry tea tomorrow - hot and spicy for me and OH tomorrow so another chicken breast out.

Love the sound homemade limoncello and gutted that I never thought to save a wagon load of lemons after Christmas but will remember to look for interesting ways to use up everything before they get past useability from now on.

My courgette, cheddar and brie soda bread was sliced up into 16 thick slices and frozen - it defrosts in the toaster beautifully so have used a couple of those up over the last few days. I also made some mashed celeriac cakes to use up leftover celeriac so they are also in freezer in x8 bags of 2 (one portion but only I will eat them). Used up ;ast chicken kiev, a frozen piece of pork that I cooked after defrosting one time last week but didn't eat and it remained lovely when I suspected it might be very dry and a bag of celeriac cake things. Also a bag of lidl own brand supernoodles and some sweetcorn from stores.

Hope everybody is continuing to do well and make savings. I can't believe it's nearly February and my freezers and food cupboards and fridge are still full (yet to freeze that brie!!!) I really must make that a priority over the next few days... 'Only' 4.5kg and a huge camembert to find space for.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    out:
    diced carrot & swede
    carrot & swede mash (to have with our haggis)
    small sliced loaf

in:
    1lb beef mince (flash sale, couldn't resist, and there is no beef mince in freezer)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love this thread and will be keeping an eye on it. My freezer habit is a bit of a running joke at home and work! To be fair the problem extends to store cupboard bits too which isn't good as we live in a flat with not much cupboard space..

I'm trying to run mine down a bit (both freezer and cupboards) - my food spend so far this month has been £42 which includes a main shop when we got paid - budget runs payday to payday which is mid month - but I have plenty of food (including veg/milk/bread) to keep us going for now. I make a meal plan for dinner each week which is really helping me to stop buying unnecessary food and limit any waste. I'm aiming to spend no more than £100 a month on two adults which includes our lunches for work but no breakfast as to be honest neither of us really like eating first thing.

I'm off work this week so you've already inspired me to defrost a portion of this: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05/13/mixed-bean-goulash/ which I had for lunch in a wrap. I've also defrosted some beef to make into a stir fry for OH tonight. I'm a vegetarian and although I'm not militant and am happy to cook and feed other half meat fairly often, I'm fortunate that he likes a lot of my veggie meals and will eat practically anything I give him bar chickpeas (hummus is fine though) :rotfl:.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My shopping habits have really changed this month. I put potatoes on my list for today but have decided not to get them. I have two potatoes left which are almost past their best but I've peeled them and they will be ok in the fridge for today and tomorrow. I've enough frozen mash pieces in the freezer for one meal and enough chips for two days I think so I'm going to try to make this all last till the end of the month. I might even be able to make the gluten free bread last till the end too.

All I need to get today is fruit and fresh vegetables to supplement my stores.

I used to shop several times a week, now once or twice is enough. I've only grocery shopped 5 times this month so far.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD today. So nothing to add - I have put in a MF order for the end of February though. 2.5kg chicken breasts for free was a bit too much to turn down. But that's a month down the line. I should have got through a lot by then:D

To be eaten tonight - 2 sausage and frozen mash, 1turkey chilli.

To take out for tomorrow -

1 blueberry muffin, 1sausage roll, 2turkey muffins, 2 portions Veal and Pork lasagne. Nothing will go back.:T
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    2 x birthday cake
    1 x vienetta

all for hubby

nothing in:-)

1 box of chestnuts to my friend who can not get any near her;-)
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all, nothing in or out today, had MF delivery 2.5kg chicken breasts for £19 and received free chicken fillets, burgers, sausages and something else. Dh already eaten burgers. Started slimming world today so need to rethink meal plan for rest of week
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have gaps in my freezer, more than I have ever had.
    The eldest has said he is coming home for the weekend, and mentioned to the husband that he imagined I would have given up on the austerity plan by now. Little does he know it's still in full swing.
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    Glad to see you all doing so great. Appetite hasn't been good due to stress - unknown for me! DS has now gotten poorly so I've not bothered with tea. Annoyingly I defrosted some sausages. Will have to make changes to the plan . Unsure if DS will be able to go to my parents' as they're so busy. Mum said she'd watch him, but has suggested jobs he can do, but he's not up to much more than lying down at the moment. I'm supposed to have a pretty serious meeting tomorrow.

Nothing used, but nothing in either
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of stores/freezer - portion of turkey broth, slice of quiche, a cumberland sausage, 2 tins of tomatoes, 2 part baked baguettes, lasagne sheets
    In- 2 portions of haggis
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure