Good and bad buys from Aldi and Lidl

Options

Comments

• ahaus
    ahaus Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2014 at 6:29PM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Not sure how this has happened, but I have run out of Lidl Knightsbridge teabags! I bought 3 boxes not so long ago on a weekend 1/2 price offer as a trial, couldn't understand why someone had picked up an outer of them...I get it now :o

Waiting for the next offer. Back to my stash of Twinings for now.

I bought 4 boxes too and is now down to last box. Post up when you see the next offer as I will pick up an outer of them this time round.
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ahaus wrote: »
    Is that sweet or dry?

dry, or medium dry, definitely not sweet.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Aldi stores are going to be open til 10pm.

I have been to the one near work at 8:30pm and it was dead! Not just the once but several times.

Does anyone know why they are increasing their opening hours when there is no need to?
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options

I have been to the one near work at 8:30pm and it was dead! Not just the once but several times.

Does anyone know why they are increasing their opening hours when there is no need to?

They're already open until 10pm, at least all the ones I use are and have been for as long as I can remember. I prefer shopping in the evening as it's much quieter then ;)

Just wanted to say that having been an avid Heinz baked beans fan almost all my life, I bit the bullet and decided to try Aldi own brand beans this weekend. Wow, never thought I would say this but they're actually nicer than Heinz!! :rotfl:
  • Scritti
    Scritti Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ahaus wrote: »
    Aldi is predictable, products hardly change unless they add new range. Whereas in Lidl on rota basis they stock cultural produces (in addition to the regular range) for a one off period until sold out.
    It can be Chinese, German, Polish, Spanish or Mexican etc.
    Currently it is everything spanish, spanish produces that you wont see as regular items.

And that's exactly why I prefer Aldi.

While I applaud the opportunity to try new things from around the world, I expect that to be a niche range, not half the flippin' shop and is possibly the reason I can't do a full shop there.
  • Scritti
    Scritti Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BTW, this whole being moved to the "gone off" section has really ****ed me off!!

This thread is (or was) the most consistently popular on here so why the frick has it been moved??!!

Anyone know who to complain to??
  • ahaus
    Options

Because it makes economical sense for them to stay open; even if increased to 24 hrs (hence the 24/7 Asda) since the electricity and lights are never switched off.

They need only skeletal staff to man graveyard shift; and they can easily cover pittance staff cost even with low patronage during extended hours.

Shelf stackers are probably working after closing hours anyway so it's just a case of allocating them more duties alternating between manning till and stacking. At most they need to hire only one person especially to man the till and that would be more than sufficient for purpose, but I suspect the person will fall asleep on the job if till is the only duty. No extra cost, or very little cost for them to hire one or two (max) more staff and their pittance wages could easily be recovered from sales.

Operating longer hours or not depends on accessibility and availability of labour and if labour is no problem then opening longer hours is shrew business move.
  • ahaus
    Options
    Scritti wrote: »
    BTW, this whole being moved to the "gone off" section has really ****ed me off!!

This thread is (or was) the most consistently popular on here so why the frick has it been moved??!!

Moved to which thread please may I ask?

It's useful to keep it under same thread to benefit from the varieties of the comments.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scritti wrote: »

Agreed. And there is no obvious reason why it is any more relevant to 'Gone Off' than where it was.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It was probably the discussion about the furry tomatoes that did it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure