Spousal maintenance

Options

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clang! Penny hadn't dropped before you pointed this out, Elvis! Thanks for that - won't waste any more time on this x
  • AlwaysWorking
    Options
    LilElvis I realised this when I read the first post...I then read everyone's response to see how long it would take for it to be noticed. The OP clearly has too much time on his hands!! I for one am relieved he's not genuine...he sounds a delight!
    "I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together." Marilyn Monroe
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thought they had done away with spousal maintenance anyway.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Thought they had done away with spousal maintenance anyway.

I believe it's rare but I do know a woman who was awarded it in her divorce last year. She received it so that she can work part time til their son is 13 - he's currently 6.
  • WillowCat
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I believe it's rare but I do know a woman who was awarded it in her divorce last year. She received it so that she can work part time til their son is 13 - he's currently 6.

It is rarer now, and often time limited to when the lower earning party (not necessarily the wife) is able to be independent.

What should be noted though is that instead of spousal maintenance, it is often the case that a larger proportion of the assets will go to that party, so they have a smaller or no mortgage etc.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Mr.Grey wrote: »
    I have to admit to being unfaithful on a few occasions, I guess she had enough in the end. I am now with the lady I was seeing, although I don't want her to mention this in the divorce as it's unfair to my new partner. Her grounds for divorce are mainly my unreasonable behaviour, she said I was controlling but I was not different than when we married, maybe she has just realised that I knew best.

I have a very responsible job and I think that I take my attitude home with me, it works in my job so I assume as the bread winner I should make all the decisions. I love my children more than life itself, I will do anything for them, if necessary I will buy their food clothes and anything they need but I will not give money to my ex wife as how can I be sure she won't spend it on herself. I know you all think bad of me, but my kids are as I said important.
    My ex, has even objected to me taking them to Florida in August, she says it's too far and too long for the youngest to be away from her. I disagree and have told her I have already booked it.

After this post especially, I'm calling troll
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • System
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    After this post especially, I'm calling troll
    Of course its a troll. Noone who is in the right mind would post what he has.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shame it's not real, sometimes you just want karma to bite...
  • System
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Not sure i agree with it to be honest but i suppose in exceptional cases...
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr.Grey wrote: »
    ... I don't allow him in the house as I pay the mortgage even though it's jointly owned. She stays with him when I have the kids.

If I were your ex, I'd be taking you for every penny.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure