seller update including GTC BIN option only

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is causing a lot of upset on the US forums and I suspect it might do the same here. Despite the GTC change being discussed for weeks now in some depth it appears to have taken a lot of US sellers by surprise when it was implemented today - every other post on most forums is people moaning that a glitch means they can't do their usual 10 day BINs.

Lots of unhappy people and lots of sellers asking the usual daft question 'is it even legal?'
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kiwi_fruit
    kiwi_fruit Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin, I think most casual sellers are probably unaware of this at this stage (in the UK), I only noticed this by accident being discussed on this forum (and later looked in "ebay community), but Ebay haven't released a statement or update for private sellers at all.

I'm also confused and concerned that it appears GTC renewals (after 30 days) are not free for private sellers if using advanced listing tool and don't come out of the 1000 listing allowance (I haven't tried but that's what people are saying). Would you happen to know anything about that?
  • soolin
    Options
    kiwi_fruit wrote: »
    soolin, I think most casual sellers are probably unaware of this at this stage (in the UK), I only noticed this by accident being discussed on this forum (and later looked in "ebay community), but Ebay haven't released a statement or update for private sellers at all.

I'm also confused and concerned that it appears GTC renewals (after 30 days) are not free for private sellers if using advanced listing tool and don't come out of the 1000 listing allowance (I haven't tried but that's what people are saying). Would you happen to know anything about that?

I agree, unless private sellers read the updates they will be entirely unaware of this change. Buiness sellers weren't notified separately, it was just part of the updates we receive quarterly but I suppose we are more likely to read those just to see what new hoops ebay expect us to jump through.

As for the cost of a relist, this doesn't appear to be clear. Usually a relist isn't chargeable as long as the seller still has available free listings, but it is very badly worded.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    There is still a lot of unrest on ebay.com with most worries being around the months where there are more than 30 days- which means having to calculate very carefully when to start your first GTC (the 30 day issue doesn't actually kick in for quite a few months if you choose the start day correctly). The US sellers have identified another potential issue around billing cycles.

Ebay are apparently looking into ways to address this:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2019/03/21/ebay-will-address-gtc-billing-issue-in-may/?fbclid=IwAR0HVti6McJRsO0pXZZ42V53dox7By4w4A0kzG1nt5YWKzCscwy-mSyLIac
  • kiwi_fruit
    kiwi_fruit Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And still no clarification whether the renewals for private sellers are charged or come out of free listing allocation (especially if using advanced listing tool). If they are, I don't know how they could expect sellers NOT to cancel GTC on day 29 and manually relist for free.

Another thing I noticed today browsing- a seller with a dozen GTC, last listed in June, no sales in the last 90 days, no recent feedback etc. For all I know the seller's not even around anymore and their items just keep renewing for ever. Would be a tad annoying to buy and then keep wondering if the item's even going to turn up.
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is connected.
    My son listed 19 items and ticked the 'automatically relist'. They relisted. He was charged 35p insertion fee, £2.00 subheading fee and 30p 'international visibility' fee on 12 of the items but not the other 3. Some were multiple items, others single items but there is no pattern to which got charged.
    Perhaps he did/didn't tick a box, he's not sure but with all the changes I'm going to be very careful.
    We both have a private account, just selling bits and pieces but his page view is very different to mine which makes it difficult to compare.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • soolin
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is connected.
    My son listed 19 items and ticked the 'automatically relist'. They relisted. He was charged 35p insertion fee, £2.00 subheading fee and 30p 'international visibility' fee on 12 of the items but not the other 3. Some were multiple items, others single items but there is no pattern to which got charged.
    Perhaps he did/didn't tick a box, he's not sure but with all the changes I'm going to be very careful.
    We both have a private account, just selling bits and pieces but his page view is very different to mine which makes it difficult to compare.

Had he any of his free listings left when they resisted?

The subheading is always charged on initial and subsequent listings, regardless of whether it was an auto relist or not as it is a payable upgrade. Same with international visibility.

It does raise the point though that when GTC comes in in a few days it is worth remembering that all upgrades will be chargeable each and every time.
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Had he any of his free listings left when they resisted?

The subheading is always charged on initial and subsequent listings, regardless of whether it was an auto relist or not as it is a payable upgrade. Same with international visibility.

It does raise the point though that when GTC comes in in a few days it is worth remembering that all upgrades will be chargeable each and every time.

He only has these few listed. He got mixed up with 'subheading' and 'condition' so his fault. We're not sure about international visibility, he thought he just ticked GSP box but probably there was another box we can't find tonight. Knowing my son he was rushing and I'm hassling him to clear his room.

I didn't realise I use the Advanced Listing page, it's the only one I've ever seen. Then on Sunday I seemed to get a really basic one I found difficult to use - no details. After reading on here I'm wondering if I'll be charged for using the Advanced Listing page, hopefully they wont relist automatically this time.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • soolin
    Options
    He only has these few listed. He got mixed up with 'subheading' and 'condition' so his fault. We're not sure about international visibility, he thought he just ticked GSP box but probably there was another box we can't find tonight. Knowing my son he was rushing and I'm hassling him to clear his room.

I didn't realise I use the Advanced Listing page, it's the only one I've ever seen. Then on Sunday I seemed to get a really basic one I found difficult to use - no details. After reading on here I'm wondering if I'll be charged for using the Advanced Listing page, hopefully they wont relist automatically this time.

If you clicked on auto relist I think it relists 8 times, if it's GTC it relists continually until sold.
  • soolin
    Options
    someone check my calculations please! However I think we need to be careful when we first list a BIN under the new rules.

example: list a BIN on 1/4/19 and it renews as follows :
    1/5/19
    31/5/19 (so 2 lots will be chargeable in one month)

example: list a BIN on 2/4/19 and it renews as follows:

2/5/19
    1/6/19
    1/7/19
    31/7/19 (so two lots in same month again)

my back of an envelope calculation suggests that waiting until 3/4/19 should be safe for several years.

As above though this needs to be checked as i went round in circles trying to work out if I am correct. Also this supposes that items don't sell or are MVL listings which will just had items added to them as business sellers re stock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure