Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• DonnieD
    Options
    Sky customer services says my discount is being 'referred' to another department who are allowed to offer the discount and will only be applied once I have installed their superfast broadband - am I being mugged off to have the installation or is this a common pattern once you have agreed the new discounted haggled price?

Previous now out of contract summary:
    Sky Broadband - £22
    Line Rental - £18.99
    Total monthly payment: £40.99

New offer summary:
    Sky Superbroadband £27
    Line Rental -£0
    Sky Entertainment £12
    New Total monthly payment £39
    New Total monthly payment offered (only after Superbroadband installation date £33)

My new bill shows the new £39 installment price, and beyond the phone call, I have no proof I wiil get the agreed reduced £33 price on the actual installment date next week.

Vodaphone Superbroadband £16 offer ends today. If I wait for Sky to confirm next week I will miss switching to Vodaphone by the end of today!

any advice?
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 6 December 2019 at 3:27PM
    Options
    So a little update.....box arrived from sky to send back my SKY Q....also a letter saying call this number for some “extra deals” .....called them and not sure which dept they were but nothing really special from the,......certainly nothing like any Black Friday deal....

So shortly will be boxing up SKY Q.......will need to now look for a decent PVR recorder to reco4 review etc.....
    Congratulations on cutting the cord, you won’t regret it. If you have a fast enough broadband link then a PVR is really unnecessary, just stream.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Gizmo247 wrote: »
    Congratulations on cutting the cord, you won’t regret it. If you have a fast enough broadband link then a PVR is really unnecessary, just stream.

I should really make a note of shows I watch and the channels they are on...

To be honest....my viewing pattern is that I check what I have recorded ( many via series link ) and then watch....deleting any I think I can’t be bothered with.
  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I should really make a note of shows I watch and the channels they are on...

To be honest....my viewing pattern is that I check what I have recorded ( many via series link ) and then watch....deleting any I think I can’t be bothered with.
    So you are already a catch up user. Most catch up apps have a “My TV” list where you can register your interest in program series. My advice would be to try something like a Roku (for Ultra wait for the 2019 model to be released in the UK) or an Apple TV (5th gen) first. Both integrate and aggregate TV really well. Recording locks you in which what Sky Q was about - only letting you transport those recordings in the Sky eco-system. Cloud-based catch up sets you free.
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • dazzaofdagenham
    Options
    Gizmo247 wrote: »
    So you are already a catch up user. Most catch up apps have a “My TV” list where you can register your interest in program series. My advice would be to try something like a Roku (for Ultra wait for the 2019 model to be released in the UK) or an Apple TV (5th gen) first. Both integrate and aggregate TV really well. Recording locks you in which what Sky Q was about - only letting you transport those recordings in the Sky eco-system. Cloud-based catch up sets you free.

Thank you...good advice

I should really make a list of the programs I like to watch and what method I use to watch them..

Example
    Currently hooked 5o blacklist....halfway through season 6

Waiting for new Star Trek discovery on Netflix and also new season of Lost in space and second season of YoU

And Star Trek Picard on amazon.....looks great...

If I dump SKY......like watching the snooker on eurosport , so would need a alternative to that

Ok that’s it...

Writing a list now and will leave by TV for shows that I actually watch and enjoy..
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I was going to leave Sky and dig out the Humax freesat box I bought two years ago when I was going to leave.
    But once again they have hooked me for another 18 months.
    Superfast BB, line rental, entertainment, 3 months free cinema and a new Sky Q set up for £39 a month with a £20 installation/set up fee but they will credit this £20 on my first bill.
    When I looked at getting Sky Q a month ago they wanted £257 installation and set up fee!
  • ed1.crouch
    Options
    Just secured a deal with Sky Tv & Broadand

Tv = £19 (entertainment, hd, boxset)
    Superfast Broadband = £25

:):)
  • Sniblet
    Sniblet Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 January 2020 at 4:35PM
    Options
    I spoke to Sky today :money: after doing all the research on as close to like for like equivalent bundles as I could so I had a starting point.

My charges historically were
    £72/month for:
    Sky Variety to include Kids and F1 (which I wasn't even aware of !!)
    Sky Box Sets
    Sky+ HD pack
    Sky talk anytime Extra
    Sky Broadband Unlimited (c 11 Mbps)

Plus I was paying for
    BT line rental @ £19.99/month

TOTAL COST - c £92/month - ridiculous!

Rip off central - this is on account of being a loyal customer for 15 years and not having spoken to them once I was out of contract.
    On haggling (told them I couldn't afford it and wasn't interested in Sky Q, Netflix, Multiroom ) we got the price down to:

£44/month to include:
    Sky Variety (excl Kids and F1 - which I don't need)
    Sky Box sets
    Sky+ HD pack
    Sky talk anytime Extra
    Sky Fast Fibre Broadband Unlimited (min 60Mbps)
    Sky line rental.

That equates to a yearly saving of: £576 and gives me broadband that's now 10 x faster!!
    Result!
    :beer:
    Thanks Martin and the team!

S :D
  • consumers_revenge
    Options
    Anyone know if you have included calls with a sky package you can ring EE mobiles for free?
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've got a go-live date of the 6th of Feb for the Sky Essentials pack but i'm wondering if i've missed out on the refer a friend offer ?

Could I ring them back and add this if it's something you can do with Essentials ?

And, if so, does anyone want to be my friend ? (that sounds pathetic! haha! :D)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback