Getting ready to install SSD

Options
Retired_at_55
Retired_at_55 Posts: 332 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 July 2018 at 7:51PM in Techie Stuff
Please see my previous thread - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5859010

As a result of this, using the link helpfully given by EveryWhere, I have ordered and expect delivery of an SSD in the next few days to fit to my Toshiba L830 laptop.

In the few days before the SSD arrives I shall be most appreciative of any advice regarding what I can do, and have ready in advance, to prepare for installing the SSD and being able to use my laptop with Windows (8.1 is on the present laptop) afterwards.

I have, as advised, created the three Toshiba Recovery Media DVD's. I have the 'key' to install Microsoft Office - the one used on my present Toshiba laptop.

Any advice to help me to prepare in advance will be appreciated, thank you.

Retired at 55

Comments

• Retired_at_55
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »

Thanks very much for putting the correct link, neilmcl - I have copied it to correct my post above.

Retired at 55
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to carry on using your existing Windows installation, you'll need to clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB. (Otherwise any imagine program will display an error message).

Alternatively, you could just install the SSD, then a clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD.
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 10 July 2018 at 9:51PM
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    If you want to carry on using your existing Windows installation, you'll need to clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB. (Otherwise any imagine program will display an error message).

Alternatively, you could just install the SSD, then a clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD.

Thanks for replying, esuhl. I'm not good technically and the second suggestion "Clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD" sounds as if it would be the easier option or me."

I think I have the correct Product Key and I have a Product ID Number.

Retired at 55
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Thanks for replying, esuhl. I'm not good technically and the second suggestion "Clean installation of Windows, and copy your personal data files from the HDD" sounds as if it would be the easier option or me."

Retired at 55
    Actually, cloning the disk is probably the easiest/quickest solution. However, a clean install would mean you get rid of any rubbish that's on your drive currently and possibly a good idea to update from windows 8.1 to win 10.
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 10 July 2018 at 10:20PM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Actually, cloning the disk is probably the easiest/quickest solution.

Thanks again neilmcl.

I need to do more homework to understand better what this means: '.... clone the drive with an imaging tool (such as Macrium Reflect Free). IIRC, you'll need the largest capacity drive in the PC (probably the HDD that's already in there) and connect the smaller (SSD?) drive via USB.'

I have time to learn and have already benefited a lot from help on this Techie Stuff Forum. If the clean install would get rid of rubbish that would be good. - and look at Windows 10 as that is another option you suggest, thank you.

Retired at 55
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you want to be sure re the product key you could run this Nirsoft utility.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
  • Retired_at_55
    edited 11 July 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Neil49 wrote: »
    If you want to be sure re the product key you could run this Nirsoft utility.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Thanks Neil49 - I'll try that. - Your link was very helpful and I was able to see the Product Keys straight away from both Windows and Microsoft Office - thank you again.

Retired at 55
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Retired at 55

I'm a fan of doing a fresh reinstall on to a new disk.

Win10 makes that a doddle these days and it gets rid of all the garbage on your current machine while its at it.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Been there, done that... took about an hour.

I bought an SSD from Crucial and a USB "caddy" from them to use both drives together. Crucial supply a cut down version of Acronis backup software with their SSD drives, which allows you to copy, say, a 500GB spinning rust disk to a 250GB SSD provided you haven't used more than 250GB of the original disk. If you check their web site (http://www.crucial.com) there are instruction videos showing how to swap over drives, clone one to another, etc.

While the clone process is quick and easy, as others mentioned you will still have years of junk slowing your new setup down. Perhaps the ideal way is to clone the disk to ensure everything works, then do a fresh installation.

I'm in the process of swapping my main PC over and it takes ages to install every program you need, unless you are just using it for basic office/web stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure