seller update including GTC BIN option only

Options

Comments

• kiwi_fruit
    kiwi_fruit Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another horrifying "improvement" from Ebay. As a private seller that sells mainly used items, I list on 7 or 10 day buy-it-now and find that things sell better when they're "newly listed". My own search criteria when browsing is set to "newly listed". GTC listing is only "newly listed" once?? I keep seeing the "benefits" of retaining search positions due to sales history, how does that help one-off used items?
    And what happens when I need to go on holiday, will I have to cancel 50+ GTC items one by one (at the moment I time BIN to end 2 weeks before)
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm hoping this is an early April Fool as it hardly seems credible that EBay would make such a drastic change as this. It would leave very little control for people to list when it actually suited them or end before going on holiday etc etc.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    I'm hoping this is an early April Fool as it hardly seems credible that EBay would make such a drastic change as this. It would leave very little control for people to list when it actually suited them or end before going on holiday etc etc.

For any seller without a shop that uses BIN listings it will mean having to remember to end all listings before going away. That's probably fine for those with a handful of listings, but more of an issue for those sellers with hundreds of listings.

It's one reason I have a shop for my business , it means I can use holiday settings and just stop anybody buying my things until I am in a position to post them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    For any seller without a shop that uses BIN listings it will mean having to remember to end all listings before going away. That's probably fine for those with a handful of listings, but more of an issue for those sellers with hundreds of listings.

It's one reason I have a shop for my business , it means I can use holiday settings and just stop anybody buying my things until I am in a position to post them.

Thanks soolin. I was really hoping that you'd say it was an April Fool. Still can't believe they are making such a drastic change. Do you think a lot of people might give up selling on EBay as they are taking control of timings away from people now. I'm still a bit confused with it tbh. :(
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • soolin
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    Thanks soolin. I was really hoping that you'd say it was an April Fool. Still can't believe they are making such a drastic change. Do you think a lot of people might give up selling on EBay as they are taking control of timings away from people now. I'm still a bit confused with it tbh. :(

Every time there is a change there's people who say they will give up on ebay- the reality is I think most people just carry on. A business needs an online presence and for many ebay suits that need - a good number of people use Amazon or etsy but for sellers like me I can't beat ebay.

As for private sellers I think a few wander off, miss the money they get from selling off unwanted items and just drift back again. However there's certainly more sellers than ever on facebook Marketplace but just like ebay people are finding some of the dafter rules to be an issue.I did very very well last week on Facebook, had several sales a day - but still can't list things like a Beswick horse as it is flagged up as livestock and therefore banned! I do wonder though if a lot of private sellers will just use auctions and not bother with BIN listings anymore.

I don't use my private accounts a lot, but will certainly not bother with BIN listings anymore as I can't control them- I have a lot of holidays, plus a freelance employment which means I am often unable to post at short notice. On my business I just simply shut up shop- but can't do that on my private accounts.

I also wonder if ebay might have overlooked the problems this might cause, I can see private sellers forgetting to end their BIN listings and perhaps failing to ship due to holidays or work. If buyers start to get delays in receiving items, or even no items at all that impacts on all sellers as those buyers will just not bother in future.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    So from 1st April the only option on BIN listings is GTC , no other duration will be allowed.

For,private sellers that will have an impact as the free listing limits are changing as well, in future private sellers will only get 1000 free listings a month and if they opt for BIN listings they will need to check how many of their allocation each of the relists take every month

Plus if you listed using the Advanced listing tool you get charged to renew. I was charged for a listing renewing on my personal/private account so queried it and they replied:

"I have reviewed the item details and could see that the item was listed with the Advanced listing tool. Please be informed that according to the new 1000 Free listings Promotional Offer, when an item is listed initially using Advanced Listing tool you would not be charged for the first time but the fee would get charged after each renewal s if listed with Good 'Til Cancelled duration and this is the reason you have been charged.

Let me introduce you to the new 1000 Free listing Promotional Offer's benefits and also the terms and conditions,

You’ll receive 1,000 free listings a month (excluding 1 and 3 days duration listings) If you list for these shorter durations, you’ll be charged a fee of £0.35, regardless of the number of listings you’ve used This allowance includes 1,000 free listing schedules These 1000 free listings are for eBay.co.uk only, including listings with international shipping via GSP (Global Shipping Programme) If you list directly in a different eBay site, the listing allowance in that country applies Good Till Cancelled is the only format available to select in the Quick Listing tool.
    If you list in the Quick listing tool, the renewals will be free (up to a 1000 a month)
    Keep in mind 70% of C2C sellers list in the Quick listing tool
    If they list in the advanced listing tool the renewals will be charged
    The "Pay only when you sell" promotional offer is being discontinued
    These free listings exclude Classified Ads listings, and items listed in the Property and Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles categories

You can refer 6th and 8th point which matches the reason why you have been charged.

In order to avoid the Insertion fee being charged for the next renewal you can end the listing then list the item with any Android device as by default you would get the Quick listing tool on the device."

Very tempted to go over to facebook (etc.) selling for the bits and bobs I've got on my personal account! Thought I had scrutinised the t&cs for any hidden gems like that. Something else for me to go through asap...
  • soolin
    Options
    This Year- the US sellers have been to.d that as they are already on the GTC only scheme, however some sellers have also been told it is a glitch!

It seems odd that private sellers would be penalised for choosing a different listing tool.
  • This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I agree. However, if ebay CS told me that something happened (or didn't happen) because I didn't stand on my head counting backwards in Swahili while listing, it would not surprise me. :)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This seems like another move to be more Amazon-like.
    Ebay have long wanted to have single items listed with multiple sellers rather than lots of the same item and lots of sellers.
    One of the biggest complaints from buyers is the difficulty finding stuff in search. This is another step towards improving that (whether it does or not is another matter).

As with most Ebay roll outs it will no doubt be a case of them doing it first and ironing out the problems later. What they really need is to work out what they want to do and have a massive revamp.
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    For any seller without a shop that uses BIN listings it will mean having to remember to end all listings before going away.

I have noticed that you can now set a quantity of 0 on listings. It used to change itself to 1 if you set 0 when revising a listing but it now goes to 0 and shows out of stock. This works on the bulk edit tool as well as when revising a listing so pre-holiday just do a bulk edit and set all the quantities to zero ;-)

I don't have a shop and all my listings are GTC BIN so i'm familiar with faffing around before a holiday adding £1,000 on to prices to stop anyone buying - snow its easier that it accepts a quantity of zero !

Thanks,

Gary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family