Potential dispute over car not mentioned in father's will

Options

Comments

• dresdendave
    Options
    This. Just give it back and have an easy life, it's not worth the hassle.

As per the above, she obviously has no intention of listening to your sensible reasons as to why her having the car is pointless.

Either give it back, making sure DVLA are aware she now is responsible for it, or perhaps make a nominal cash offer to purchase it and she puts it in writing that you now own the car.
  • BobRoberts
    Options
    At a very pragmatic level - how much is the car worth?

Its just a little Honda, yen years old. Think my Dad paid about £2.5 - 3k for it. So its nothing fancy.

She really does just have this weird thing about missing out. She has it with all sorts of things, not just this. As far as I've ever been able to tell, she resented moving to where they are, which was due to my Dad's work. So she has stewed on bitterness and resentment for nearly 40 years, and I tend to cop it all.
  • BobRoberts
    BobRoberts Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 6:11PM
    Options
    This. Just give it back and have an easy life, it's not worth the hassle.

If this was the only thing she ever complained about, or gave us a hard time about, that might be a more appealing option. But she would still go on about other stuff - mainly involving us moving her down to where we are, or us moving up there.

If she was a nicer person, and money was no object - then sure - would buy her somewhere down here tomorrow. Again, if I try to explain that its not that easy (they tried to sell the house a few years ago, but the market is virtually non existent where they are. people tend to buy plots of land, and build a new house) she just accuses me of spinning a yarn. So if she can't sell the house, then its virtually impossible. And when it was on the market, she didn't want a for sale sign outside, because she didn't want people knowing her business.)

She has also talked about "dying from loneliness". She likes to create the impression that she is housebound, never sees anyone, and stares at the walls day in and day out. But I know she's fairly active still - the church, couple of afternoons at a charity shop, lunches out with people.... She just likes to ruminate on things and make issues that either aren't there at all, or certainly aren't things I can magically fix. When she has talked about depression I have suggested she should maybe talk to someone or visit her GP, but again she just bites my head off, about how they did nothing for my father, what's the point etc. So if she's unwilling to do anything to help herself, it becomes very difficult to have that much sympathy, I know this isn't true - I was home a lot over the summer when he wasn't well, and know that they did a lot over the years, but just could never quite get to the bottom of what was up. In the end he had a few things wrong, but none were life threatening, but he just seemed to give up and stop eating, so sadly went downhill quite quickly towards the end. And my mum didn't exactly have too much empathy. She runs a B&B still, and when I arranged for Occupational Therapy support etc, they visited the house and brought out a few mobility aids for my dad. My mum mostly complained about how they wouldn't look good fro the guests staying. I was appalled that she was still taking guests when my Dad was so ill - there were some in the house the morning he died.

Sorry, getting bit off topic, but its hard to convey just how irrational and unwilling to listen to common sense and reason she can be, without a bit of background. While returning the car would solve this particular issue, it wouldn't solve the problem of our increasingly untenable relationship. She sometimes has moments of clarity, and talks bout me forgiving her, or giving her a chance. But she has had so many over the years, but continues to act out the way she does within a couple of weeks.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If your father gave you the car before he died, then it couldn't be given to anyone in his will.

I'm sorry for your loss and the situation you find yourself in with your mother, I don't think your father did give you his car before he died. It sounds like he said you could have it when he died. (Only you know which it is).

If it was to be your upon his death, this is something that could only be specified in his will. He should have known this, but I expect he was too ill to realise it. If this was the case, then the car is your mother's.

There are plenty of good cars for sale, I wouldn't worry about having your dad's car at the expense of this issue with your mum.

I understand that this will not be the last issue you have with your Mum, but this issue seems quite important to her, so just let it go.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • BobRoberts
    Options
    Trouble is, if she gets it back she'll then want me to help her with tax, insurance etc, it won't have solved anything between us generally because she'll still complain about me being so far away, and, rightly or wrongl, I would resent her for choosing irrationality and mean spiritness over common sense.

And things like when I visit I wouldn't be able to take her out in it, because I wouldnt be insured.

It seems whatever way this goes, it ends badly and irreparably damages our already frought relationship.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may be worth trying to explain to her that an 80 year old non driver would have very little, if any, hope of getting insurance. Without that as a starter she will only have a rusting hulk on the drive that will need to be SORN'd.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    BobRoberts wrote: »
    Trouble is, if she gets it back she'll then want me to help her with tax, insurance etc, it won't have solved anything between us generally because she'll still complain about me being so far away, and, rightly or wrongl, I would resent her for choosing irrationality and mean spiritness over common sense.

And things like when I visit I wouldn't be able to take her out in it, because I wouldnt be insured.

It seems whatever way this goes, it ends badly and irreparably damages our already frought relationship.
    The bottom line is that nobody on here can really help you. Whilst we all see your dilemma but you just have to make you mind up and do what you think best.
  • SevenOfNine
    Options
    Just a thought. How about waiting until you have saved enough to buy a car YOURSELF, & in the meantime managing without one, catching the bus, cycling or walking.

Don't concern yourself with what your mother does with it or what it will cost her, take it back. She does not seem to agree that your dad said you could have it, perhaps she feels greed & selfishness has, sadly, reared it's ugly head.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think this is about the car. I think it's a reaction to her fear. She's now alone and grieving and that makes people obsess over the strangest of things.

I bet she's scared of a lot of things. Scared her friends will stop coming round; scared of living alone; scared it's "her next". Scared of lots of stuff - and missing your dad.

I think this could be resolved by taking this viewpoint and trying to get her to discuss how she feels... you being a distance away doesn't make this easy to sort out as it might be you she can discuss it with (if you're there long enough), or it might require speaking to a bereavement/social worker type of person.

Maybe it's actually time she moved... something else to hate/be scared of, but it might be the lesser of all the evils.

Was she particularly attached to that house/area?

Who are these friends that call, for now?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BobRoberts wrote: »
    Without going too far off topic, she has also ranted about getting into some sheltered accommodation in the town we live in. Seemingly oblivious to the fact that it would cost, at the very least for somewhere half decent, hundreds of pounds a week.

Usually when I try to explain things to her, and it doesn't suit what she wants, she just argues to the effect of "You would say that because you don't want me'. It has been difficult and strained since forever. She is very hard work.
    You haven't said how old your mum is, or whether she's always relied on others (presumably your dad) to make decisions and sort things out for her. But you're going to have to make decisions about how much you leave her to do for herself perhaps with some help from you, how much you absolutely refuse to do for her, and how much you let roll over you like water off a duck's back.

And if she's like a cracked record, you could respond the same way. If she goes on about the sheltered housing, work out your response. Either something like "Well Mum, if you haven't been able to find anywhere affordable, I'm not sure what I can do." And then change the subject, repeatedly if necessary. Or "Sorry Mum, there is nothing affordable around here." and then change the subject, repeatedly if necessary. Hanging up if necessary. She'll still make a drama, but you don't have to listen to it.
    tacpot12 wrote: »
    I don't think your father did give you his car before he died. It sounds like he said you could have it when he died. (Only you know which it is).

If it was to be your upon his death, this is something that could only be specified in his will. He should have known this, but I expect he was too ill to realise it. If this was the case, then the car is your mother's.
    And I think this is probably true too - that the car is legally your mother's. So the question arises, is she capable of sorting out the SORN and insurance herself? Or does she just prefer not to? My parents would have had great difficulty sorting anything like this without help, because they did not use computers (although mum would do emails). However bottom line, Dad would have got in touch with an insurance broker, and your mum could do the same.

Now, if as you say this is just going to cause you to resent her, then either you have to let it go, or you let your mum go. Sounds as if there's always going to be SOMETHING between you. You have to choose what to do about it.

BTW I think what PasturesNew says is very relevant too.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport