I WILL get there!!

Options

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm glad you've managed a good day and your OH has done very well with that trip!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • muppets
    muppets Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kirtsypoos wrote: »

OH has really gone OTT for xmas and booked a trip to Bruges for my birthday weekend. It's been on my wish list for years so I'm thrilled :D

Hope everyone have had a lovely day :D

I love Bruges, not that I go there too often, even if it's only 45 mins away from me. :rotfl::rotfl:
    PAYDBX 2020 - #01 Pd £15,029.29 / £13,140.66 - 114% 🎉

MFiT-T5 #36
    3-6 mth EF #5
    €2,445 / 11,100
    Mortgage - PD 126,846.35/ 271,495.07 46.72%[ MF was Aug 2038 now Sept 2035 😲
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Sneaking back in as I have been terrible at updating... in my defence have no internet so using phone as hotspot occasionally to stop myself going round the bend not being able to record PADs :rotfl:

muppets, I didn't realise you were that close to Bruges, how wonderful! Any tips from previous visits you care to share? Have been recommended Delaneys for great steak, but somewhat put out at the thought of going to an irish pub in Bruges :cool:

Time off work has been lovely. Have nipped in twice, but only for an hour or so at a time and was rewarded with several bottles of wine from boss as a thank you. Which went down well at the housewarming we had last week - using only gifted alcohol and nectar points, it cost us the grand total of 0p in actual money :money:

OH still getting his head around his moms news. He doesn't want to talk about it, so am doing my best to respect that at the moment but don't want him to bury his head in the sand.

Have a friend of OHs arriving on Tuesday for a few days. He's a kiwi also but lives in Norwich and is coming for a bit of time away. He gets married next August so perhaps will give OH a kick up the bum....:rotfl: wishful thinking there ;)

Went to the local football stadium for New Year (not :money: but as a group (14 of us) we try and do something different every year. Food was amazing!! Had a lovely time with a lot of dancing and fell into bed at 5am (having slept on sofa for 2 hours, am not hardcore enough to stay up until 5am these days :o

Lots to do in new house still. Including working out how on earth to put a curtain pole up with only plasterboard to rely on....not keen myself, but OH desperate for curtains and not just blinds. Will see how this goes. So far have one rather large hole in living room. Will not be impressed if the holes start multiplying...

We were given a lot of very generous gifts for Christmas from family - including our bedroom furniture from my parents (chests of drawers and bedside tables from the swedish shop) and a very generous cheque from my grandparents enabling us to buy light fittings and lamps for our bedrom and lounge, curtains and curtain rail for lounge, along with various other smaller bits and pieces. Was slightly overwhelmed when they handed us the cheque but thrilled nonetheless.

Only thing remaining on our list is wardrobe as we are currently living out of those hanging boxes we used to move. Not ideal when it only holds half of hung clothes. Have found one on tesco direct in sale but want to visit my dads shop first in case something second hand is available that will go in the area. Cheaper no doubt, and money will go to hospice so very worthy cause.

We had our family xmas day on boxing day and lots of cuddles with the tiny niece were had. She's just lovely :happyhear

OH still in bed so I best rouse him and get some food sorted.

Happy New Year all!

Thanks for all the lovely comments, likes, to contributors and lurkers alike. Such a wonderfully supportive place. This will be the year I smash my debt so bring it on!! :D:D:D
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Glad you had a good Christmas Kirsty. I guess all you can do is be there for OH and he will talk when he is ready. Glad you got niece snuggles too. It's a head scratcher on the curtain pole?!?

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Happy New Year Kirsty - pleased to read that you've enjoyed the festivities.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I am officially terrible at diary updating. I didn't realise how much I rely on the internet :o

Velux blind has arrived today so hopefully can have a good nights sleep once that's up. Not that I'm not sleeping at all but I hate any light when I'm sleeping and the moon shines right on my face!

Busy weekend planned as we are having the tumble dryer extractor kit done tomorrow by a friend of OHs, along with putting up of light fittings, curtain pole and TV on wall if he has time for all that...not to mention putting external lighting up. It feel like it's coming together but still a long way to go and although I'm impatient, I am enjoying knowing that we don't have to do it all at once! Slightly miffed that his friend offered to help at mates rates....turns out mates rates are more than I would have to pay one of the lads from my work to do it, which is going to slow down a few other bits and pieces we wanted to get done :(

I'm still working on the debts obviously, and they are going down. Just never quick enough for me, but that's nothing new! We have had a few spendy bits on a CC in the past few weeks. They are on a long term 0% and will be my next target once I have paid this £7k off. Whilst I am unlikely to be DF completely this year, I should have very little left to pay in Jan (including the new bits and pieces)

We have made a decision though. I had veto'd a visit to NZ this year as I wanted to concentrate on paying all the debt off but given what has been going on with OHs mam, we are definitely going back this year. Debt is horrible and I'm desperate to be rid of it but not at the expense of neglecting family. Hence not having everything paid this year, we will be putting money aside for our flights back. I have been keeping an eye on flights costs and aren't as bad as we had initially expected so that's the plan for October at the moment. If anything changes with OHs mam in the meantime that date will change but that's what we are going for at the moment.

OH and I went for a meal at Zizzis on Monday (using a brilliant app called qkr where we both got a £10 new join bonus, and a £5 for recommending each other, so 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 drinks came to £6.95 :money:) during the meal, he asked how long he has left to pay on his CC (4 months) then said after that he would like to put the money he pays towards mortgage overpayments. I'm so proud!! :D

We were after a console table for the hallway and found one we liked on ebay (£88, so that was on the to do list) then got a message from my dad who had had a dressing table in which was almost identical to the console table we had picked. Saving of £73.00 :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • Bobarella
    Options
    I'm glad you will be going to see OHs mum. Really hope you can find some well priced flights.

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I think that's a really wise decision. Some things just are more important than debt payments. It's not like you've lost control or anything.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your Oh's mum. I agree, you must spend time with family when you can.

We are lucky to be close in distance to ours, my sister in Dubai frets terribly about my mum whist she's away. She has to work away to pay her debts/mortgage... she 58 with poor UK qualifications but excellent money abroad for governess/ house manager roles. luckily my nagging her is meaning she throwing most of her earning at her debts. But she is missing my mother at this stage in her life.

Anyhow, keep on going... little and often will help your plans. your focus is always brilliant.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kirsty you are nearly sub £7k! That's !!!!!!!g amazing. You've whizzed through it kirsty, you're amazing! You're an inspiration to us all. The way you're going I think you'll be getting on that plane pregnant :) and you've nearly got another card paid off and closed. I wish I had as much gusto as you. You just relentlessly power through regardless. You've had so much on your plate but you stay strong. I cannot see you going to nz as a negative. It's a spend you are budgeting for for an important reason. Keep going. Xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills