Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• groke
    groke Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everybody. I live in a privately-rented, pre-1920 flat with a loft conversion, and am in receipt of income-based ESA.

The loft conversion is very badly-insulated, making cold winters totally unbearable. I rang British Gas about having it insulated but they said my flat is unsuitable because I have rooms in the roof. I've since heard about "room in roof" insulation but can't find much information about it. I've found a few websites but they look a bit dodgy. I was surprised to see that the MSE guide didn't make any mention of this kind of insulation - loft conversions aren't exactly rare anymore. Where can I get more info? Thanks
  • JOHNT
    Options
    Hi, I notice that the free boiler grant seems to be for a replacement boiler, what if this is your first ever boiler? I have just had gas connected to my house is their anything I can do to help with the cost of installing gas central heating :p
  • Nyla_
    Options
    Hello

I just wanted to let you know I have recently had a new boiler fitted.

It started off with being approached by a man in a street, which i can already hear you saying is extremely dodgy. He gave me a leaflet, it mentioned if i earn less than £16,000 then I qualify.

I then went onto the internet and did a quick search, found a website call Rothwell Plumbing

I filled in the form online, received a phone call a week later to say that i qualified for a free boiler , another week later they came and did a survey. 3 weeks after that they came and fit my free boiler.

Please see details below:

If you applied for a free boiler, please let us know ...

- Which energy provider you called:
    - How long it took to get a free inspection: 20 mins
    - Were you asked to contribute towards anything and why (for example extra radiators, the boiler needed moving, you didn't meet certain conditions): No the grant was for boilers only.
    - How long it took to the get the boiler installed: All day, engr came at 08:00 and completed the work by 15:00 hrs
    - How you found the experience: They were brilliant, the installation took longer because the boiler needed to be moved as the current location was not adequate, the engr moved my boiler and gas meter so they were next to each other. I cannot thank him enough for that .
    He used covers and cleaned up afterwards. The house is boiling now where as before I couldn't tell when the heating was on and I have external insulation.

I would definitely recommend them.
  • janeken
    janeken Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Does anybody know if it is possible to get a replacement back boiler under this scheme? It is for my son and daughter-in-law who have a back boiler in excess of 15 years old and they can't afford much at the moment to pay for any extra work.
  • DSD2016
    DSD2016 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I looked into this scheme back in the summer for my mother, she rang thru to the helpline, provided the documents they asked for and arranged for a guy to come round to do the survey.

Guys pitches up, spends a good couple of hours counting radiators, checking piping etc and promptly tells my mum that for an £800 contribution to the job (approx £3000 in total) we could get a boiler fitted blah blah blah - "but we need an answer this week as the funds are running out".

Needless to say, we thought about it for a while and when my mum rang back with some questions she was told the scheme was over and that the initial tranche of funding was done, she'd have to wait and see if it would be continued or not.

Now, we've heard nothing since so I 'd guess they either have enough work to do, or they have no access to the scheme funding anymore, however, fast forward to today where the 25 year old boiler has packed up. I have a friend in the heating trade who has visited the property and condemned the boiler, needs replacing. He's verbally quoting for a Worcester Boiler at £850 and the total job at £1300.

I'm assuming that the companies involved in this apply some level of mark-up to the jobs anyway so as to get some of their money back and as others have said, they only seem to fit certain models of boiler? I'm of the mind to just get my friends company to fit one as a lot of people seem to be having to contribute the same or more to the job than i'm being quoted for the entire thing without the grant?

Does anyone know if the scheme has come to an end or funding has been withdrawn and why the heck does it seem to be such a faff to get the info about it? cant the energy company tell straight up what the level of support is?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's bound to be a higher price in these schemes, as the 'approved' subcontractors will have to pay the scheme for the guaranteed trade it provides for them; rather like brand approved installers have to pay the brand an annual fee for the recommendation.

The local man's quote is a good one.
  • cjane
    cjane Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a new boiler installed in June 2016 by Northern Heating and haven't used the actual heating of the radiators up until last thursday. We tried the boiler and the radiators wouldn't heat up so since last thursday I have rang the company two or three times a day and no one will sort the problem out, they just fob me off with someone from our customer service department will ring you back. I have written on there facebook site and messaged them also but nothing. What should I do? anyone any ideas?
  • groke
    groke Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of energy companies are now funding room in roof insulation. Where they can, the installers slide insulation boards up between the tiles and the sloping ceilings and add fibre glass to the upright stud walls and flat ceiling areas if they are there. The work may not always be free though, it depends on how tricky your property is to insulate. The energy companies tend not to get involved in this work so you need to find an accredited room in roof installer. You need to search for a website called Green Deal ORB, then go to the participant register, select "installers only" then "room in roof insulation" from the services section

We are a company that has funding from energy companies for this work but we don't install directly, we give the money to the installers. If you don't have any joy let me know and I will try and recommend someone

Hey Adrian, thanks for the reply! I've found the website you mentioned. Is it a government website? Because it ends in .gov.uk

I performed a search and returned 27 companies working in my area (Hull) but I have no idea which one to pick. Can you help? You said "we are a company" but I don't know which company you are, haha
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cjane wrote: »
    I had a new boiler installed in June 2016 by Northern Heating and haven't used the actual heating of the radiators up until last thursday. We tried the boiler and the radiators wouldn't heat up so since last thursday I have rang the company two or three times a day and no one will sort the problem out, they just fob me off with someone from our customer service department will ring you back. I have written on there facebook site and messaged them also but nothing. What should I do? anyone any ideas?
    You have your rights as a consumer. Since they keep fobing you off, it is time to write to them asking to repair or replace the installation; failing which you intend to issue a County Court summons in your local court.
    If there was an energy supplier involved, you could also write to them.
  • saraht1234
    Options
    Hi just wanted to post my experience and see feedback from others. I have had 3 different companies out to do the initial home survey under the 'free' boiler grants scheme. The first 2 companies - RED2 and Valley heating services, didn't quote me despite me chasing them. the 3rd company Trueco have called me to ask for a £208 contribution. They want this payment before the technical survey and the boiler they have suggested is for a flat (mine is a 4 bed house) I have seen other threads where companies ask for a further significant contribution following the technical survey. Any comments /experiences welcome. thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback