Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like there are shady practices going on!
    Such as asking for a hefty contributions without telling you what equipment will be fitted or how much the total cost will be.
    1greenplace for example, made number of phone calls saying, "We want a £1400 contribution from you". Would not confirm the figure in writing.

Dyson Energy Services asked for over £1900. When asked which equipment will be fitted, was told that the surveyor would have left a report (he did not!). When asked for a copy, they were reluctant.
    When a manger was asked what is the amount of funding, retort was, "you don't go to a supermarket and ask them how much it cost them, do you?"

Ofgem e-serve has essential reading. Worth a read.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/eco/about-eco-scheme
    Ofgem is also the place to make complaints for investigation.
  • katevellani
    Options
    Hi all

My husband and I are teachers and as such do not receive benefits.
    We have recently moved into a house which is listed. It currently has an oil boiler which is out of the ark and is incredibly uneconomical.
    We have no insulation here and we cannot have double glazing.

Are there any grants we can apply for?

As it is at the moment, the house is environmentally very un-friendly and we need it be be more economical too.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks
  • mav2389
    mav2389 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Have these subsidies ended now?
  • Blue_Max
    Options
    mav2389 wrote: »
    Have these subsidies ended now?
    The ECO Scheme is still going.
    Phone Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234 (9am - 8pm Monday to Friday)
    They will ask a few questions and If you qualify, they will contact one of the companies on their list.
  • Nstark
    Nstark Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I work for an independent company that produces the EPCs that generate funding for boiler grants. We produce non biased reports for several companies. My personal experience i suggest either contacting the energy saving trust or one of the major energy companies.
    You need to be on qualifying benefits to receive funding. If you don't like the quote from one energy company try a different one.
    Generally boilers are replaced like for like. A standard boiler with a hot water cylinder would be replaced by an A rated standard condensing boiler and the hot water cylinder is still used. A Combination boiler is replaced by a combination boiler.
    If you can't find the boiler on the list to find out the efficiency you can still apply especially if the boiler is quite old. When we enter the details on the EPC we can enter them manually and the programme will assume they are the worst case scenario.
    The same grant covers Cavity wall insulation and loft insulation.
    Some of the companies won't replace floor standing, combination or back boilers because this may incur an extra cost.
    Over all if you are on qualifying benefits it's worth trying you are under no obligation to sign up to have the boiler installed.
  • Blue_Max
    edited 14 July 2016 at 2:53PM
    Options
    Good advice by Nstark.
    Companies appear to have contracts with a particular manufacturer of boilers. So they do not allow you to choose one brand or another.
    If you want a reliable boiler such as the Worcester-Bosch (see post #1005 on this thread) email the manufacturer and as ask for contact details of their nearest installer under the ECO scheme.
    Going direct to the installer is much much cheaper than going through the chain, as with the major energy companies and some companies that pass on the work on to a fitter.
    In my experience:
    Dyson Energy Services quoted £1920 for Ideal Logic 15.
    Energy Saviour quoted £945 for Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 15Ri.
    1 Green Place will not give me quote but asked for £1400 as contribution. They told me that total amount will be known only after installation!
  • DenM
    DenM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    On 21st June I did the eligibility check online with N.Power. Within a few minutes of completion I had a phone call booking me in for a EPC survey.
    The surveyor came round on June 26th. He checked the house deeds and our tax credit award. We earn below the 16k. He said our 14 year old Ideal boiler qualified for an upgrade and that N.Power would be in touch for our technical survey.
    We were soon booked in for the survey for the 10th July. The very nice man said that it looked pretty straight forwards. Answered any questions. He wasn't specific about cost but did say that it looked like we were in a good position (whatever that means?) And that the type of boiler they fit is usually a Baxi. He explained about the 2 year guarantee and that we would need to get it serviced for the first year.
    On the 19th July (today!) I got a text from N.Power telling me I needed to call for an appointment to have my boiler fitted!! I rang them 2 minutes later and was told that they could come and fit my brand spanking new WORCESTER!!!!Boiler on 18th of August for FREE!!! I am very excited. So the whole process will have taken less than 2 months. The system does work. I am delighted. My experience has been very positive. I'd recommend it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just had an email from a shower called Affordablewarmth.co.uk saying they now have installers in my area for solid fuel boilers.

It was over 2 years ago when I first contacted them, they even included the original inquiry in the email with proof of when I originally contacted them.

What a joke!
  • debbiedooda
    Options
    Hi have you got anywhere with your complaints about Lawtech Ltd ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback