Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• feehesketh
    Options
    We have been without a working boiler since 20th June when I applied via the British Gas scheme to get a free boiler. I have a disabled son living at home with us. We had to wait 2 weeks for an energy survey, then another two weeks for a technical survey and now they are saying another three weeks until we can have the boiler installed and I have to pay £560 up front for the privilege whether they do a good job or not. There are lots of issues they have with installing the boilers, wont go under laminate flooring to install pipework or on flat roofs to install flues. However, if you are paying for a boiler privately they will do all these things. Double standards and absolutely appalling customer service. The people that take advantage of these schemes are the most vulnerable in society and yet they are offered the worst in customer service. I'm at the end of my tether now! If I try to go with a different company the wait will probably be even longer so they have you over a barrel.
  • feehesketh
    Options
    Having spoken to Energy Savings Trust and a couple of other energy companies I would say don't wait until your boiler breaks down to take advantage of the scheme as they all say the process takes at least 8 weeks. EST says it can only be done through the main 5 energy companies who operate the scheme. That sounds bad news to me. The whole process is not geared up for those vulnerable in society who may want to access the scheme.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    feehesketh wrote: »
    EST says it can only be done through the main 5 energy companies who operate the scheme.
    This is untrue. Google and you will find that there are many companies that you can approach. They can be cheaper too. Before making any kind of payment make sure that you get a quote for a complete installation.
    See other posts in this thread.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    feehesketh wrote: »
    There are lots of issues they have with installing the boilers, wont go under laminate flooring to install pipework or on flat roofs to install flues. However, if you are paying for a boiler privately they will do all these things. Double standards and absolutely appalling customer service.

The roof refusal will be because of safety issues and going under fitted flooring may be available for a private installation, but it would be at extra cost, as more than standard work is required.

We had to have the new gas run outside the house or the price to go though wall/ceiling cavities, involving removing flooring, would have been more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    That's the thing with these national companies, they won't do anything that is not as straightforward as straightforward can be.

Get a local indie company/tradesman in and they'll do whatever you want. At the right price of course.
  • mel48rose
    mel48rose Posts: 513 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I had a boiler fitted through Total Trade four years ago. They have apparently changed their company name now. They were absolutely appalling that's all I can say. Employed proper cowboys. Customer Services were horrendous. Went to my local MP but still didn't get my issues addressed. Wished I had never bothered tbh the stress was terrible. :eek:
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A little bit of a rant about the ECO scheme.

Why is there so much duplication of effort and systems?

My MIL’s boiler packed up a couple of times this summer - time to prepare to replace the 16 year old unit.

MIL is 95, problems with eyesight, hearing, mobility but adamant that she will stay in her own home.

I contacted EST – very helpful , good discussions re general saving measures–yes she qualifies – they will contact DWP to confirm disability pension, attendance allowance etc. – quite happy to talk to me. Would also need proof of ownership. They explained it was a big 6 funded scheme - ECO - and that energy surveys and technical surveys to be done; what solution they offered would depend on what boilers they had in stock. I was seeking a like-for-like floor mounted as this would mean the least hassle for MIL – a wall mounted would mean ripping out cupboards, decoration etc.

Job was passed to SSE and their agents Dyson. Energy Survey done ; Technical Survey – “we don’t do floor mounted – can’t be done due to Building Regs !”. Anyway went ahead and prepared a wall mounted scheme – will hear in a few weeks.

Back to EST and emphasised the floor mounted – second job raised for nPower. Phone call from nPower – they required MIL’s agreement to the assessments and copies of the pensions and proof of ownership. They must speak to MIL – best of luck say I. They ring MIL and she puts the phone down on them. Back to me – will they accept an email from her giving permission ? – (cough, slputter) – yes. But they won’t accept emailed copies of documents – they must take them on their surveyors iPad !

Does it all have to be so duplicated and different systems? Why can't EST arrange the surveys ?

I’ve got a back up quote now from a tried and trusted local- floor mounted no problem.

Npower Energy survey due Aug 8th
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • grumbler2
    Options
    hiya - what name and model of boiler did British Gas put in? what part of the country? I am about to try BG , I did contact NPower in April but the baxi they wanted to put in was smaller than the baxi company recommended for 11 rads/ 4 bedrooms so I am on my guard...
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 August 2016 at 6:06PM
    Options
    One Green Place is the contractor used by E.ON
    Far too many complaints about One Green Place.
    And now it seems that they are financially in trouble

See thread:
    "Eco boiler scheme - 1 Green Place"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5447955
  • buzziebee
    Options
    I recently applied on line for my elderly mother for this scheme. One company called One green place contacted me and offered to come and do the assessment, I nearly died when they came back with the quote and scope of works. They said my elderly mother who is on pension credit would have to pay £4000 and also they planned to put a spaggeti junction pipework system in all around her living room ceiling so that the gas supply could be taken upstairs to the airing cupboard. I asked them why can't she have a combi boiler and put it in the kitche, they said it can't be done. I said no thank you to the whole thing. I applied on line again and this time went with British gas they quoted on £503.00 for the work and yes a nice little combi boiler in the kitchen, no ugly pipes round the house needed. So beware is all I say, seems to me One Green Place just want to get there foot in the door of vulnerable people and then take advantage of what is supposed to be a trusted scheme under the guise its supported by the government and I am sure they are not the only ones. Shop around is my advice if you are looking to take advantage of this offer.:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback