Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• MissTasmanian
    Options
    Would I be able to replace my grandparent's oil boiler? Or does the scheme not cover oil.I live in Northern Ireland if it's of importance.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    buzziebee wrote: »
    I recently applied on line for my elderly mother for this scheme. One company called One green place contacted me and offered to come and do the assessment, I nearly died when they came back with the quote and scope of works. They said my elderly mother who is on pension credit would have to pay £4000 and also they planned to put a spaggeti junction pipework system in all around her living room ceiling so that the gas supply could be taken upstairs to the airing cupboard. I asked them why can't she have a combi boiler and put it in the kitche, they said it can't be done. I said no thank you to the whole thing. I applied on line again and this time went with British gas they quoted on £503.00 for the work and yes a nice little combi boiler in the kitchen, no ugly pipes round the house needed. So beware is all I say, seems to me One Green Place just want to get there foot in the door of vulnerable people and then take advantage of what is supposed to be a trusted scheme under the guise its supported by the government and I am sure they are not the only ones. Shop around is my advice if you are looking to take advantage of this offer.:(

Some scheme called WarmUpNorth quoted me over £2K which I would have had to put towards a new boiler a couple of years ago. I could get that done myself privately for same money.

These scheme only exist for one thing, to line their own pockets.
  • susiespain
    Options
    I have a property in County Durham,that has tenants who qualified for a boiler upgrade apparently.British gas tell me I need to pay £1712 for the extra pipe work etc as it is a back boiler that will be replaced with a combi.They will not remove the water tank in the loft or remove the back boiler(only disconnect)Plus the tenant wanted an electric fire to replace the old style gas one in the lounge but they would not do this either! Seems like a huge amount of money for siting the boiler in the kitchen.
    My gas safety guy has quoted me £2895 to inc removing the tank,back boiler,old fire(making good the wall to take an electric fire) 10yr parts & labour guarantee on a Vaillant Ecotec pro.Looks like he will get the job.
    Thanks for nothing British Gas.
  • susiespain
    Options
    same here,£1700+ for a Free combi boiler !!
  • DenM
    DenM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Got my free Worcester Bosch boiler fitted on Thursday courtesy of N.Power. I applied in June and it's now in, fitted, working all ready for winter. And I am very happy with the service from start to finish. Took less than a day to fit. I'd advise this scheme to people who fit the criteria and have a straight forward exchange of combi unit.
  • Blue_Max
    Blue_Max Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    npower.
    Applied online on 26 May 2016. Received an email:
    " If you haven't heard from us within 5 working days please call us so that we can book your home energy assessment on:0800 072 1741"
    I phoned them after a week and was told " "we don't fit Worcester Boiler" Baxi only".
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    This is all getting very tiresome.

We accepted a quote from Dyson on behalf of SSE at the end of July (contribution of £250).

I enquired today re a installation date to be told that SSE have met their quota and cancelled the job. !
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • DenM
    DenM Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Blue_Max wrote: »
    npower.
    Applied online on 26 May 2016. Received an email:
    " If you haven't heard from us within 5 working days please call us so that we can book your home energy assessment on:0800 072 1741"
    I phoned them after a week and was told " "we don't fit Worcester Boiler" Baxi only".

I was told I was getting a Baxi too. Which I didn't mind as it was free and there was no way I could have afforded a camp fire to heat a kettle on, never mind a new combi-boiler But when they rang me to confirm fitting they told me it was going to be a Worcester Bosch. This was from N.Power.
  • jonstob
    Options
    Hi, did you get a new boiler after all?
  • bigpappa
    bigpappa Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In a terraced house what type of foam insulation is best. Is it myth that it can cause damp?

Stone terraced house, circa build 1920.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure