Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Carbon-Reductions
    Options
    After reading through part of the full thread I can not believe the way people have been advised or contributions have been part the ECO scheme, I can speak with first hand knowledge as a funding manager

What surprises me most is the timescale from initial contact to installation, it should be a fully funded exchange with no financial amount requested , certain benefits entitles you to the fully funded option which under normal circumstances should be installed within two weeks

Home owners or private tenants can qualify, the benefits to a private tenant would be the reduction and saving in fuel costs

Funding is once again available to qualifying applicants
  • Polgara72
    Options
    After reading through part of the full thread I can not believe the way people have been advised or contributions have been part the ECO scheme, I can speak with first hand knowledge as a funding manager

What surprises me most is the timescale from initial contact to installation, it should be a fully funded exchange with no financial amount requested , certain benefits entitles you to the fully funded option which under normal circumstances should be installed within two weeks

Home owners or private tenants can qualify, the benefits to a private tenant would be the reduction and saving in fuel costs

Funding is once again available to qualifying applicants

Thanks for this. I had to pay £150 for a (supposedly) like for like replacement; Vokera 35 coming out, Idealogic 35 going in. Same place, same height, it's just smaller.

Unfortunately, due to the companies system of delivered by courier, instead of being brought along by the fitters, the system was drained, old one taken out and ready for the new one by 9:20 am, only to discover the courier wasn't due to deliver it until 4:30!!! The fitters ended up going to buy one to fit, but fitted (for whatever reason) an Idealogic 30, not the idealogic 35 the tech survey had stated (4 bed, 2 bath). I'm STILL wrangling with the company to sort this out - and the boiler was fitted on 25/11/16.

I've now reached the end of my tether with them.

Out of interest, being on ctc, with disabled child premium, income related ESA, DLA, would you have expected a contribution to be necessary?
  • Carbon-Reductions
    Options
    Polgara72 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I had to pay £150 for a (supposedly) like for like replacement; Vokera 35 coming out, Idealogic 35 going in. Same place, same height, it's just smaller.

Unfortunately, due to the companies system of delivered by courier, instead of being brought along by the fitters, the system was drained, old one taken out and ready for the new one by 9:20 am, only to discover the courier wasn't due to deliver it until 4:30!!! The fitters ended up going to buy one to fit, but fitted (for whatever reason) an Idealogic 30, not the idealogic 35 the tech survey had stated (4 bed, 2 bath). I'm STILL wrangling with the company to sort this out - and the boiler was fitted on 25/11/16.

I've now reached the end of my tether with them.

Out of interest, being on ctc, with disabled child premium, income related ESA, DLA, would you have expected a contribution to be necessary?

hi, sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience without knowing the full reasons and facts and reading between the lines, I do not know why a like for like replacement was not installed by the fitters and believe the problem is with the fitters, if the tech guy recommend a 35 and a 35 was removed , then a 35 should of been fitted, and as the £150 was to be paid in the belief a 35 ( which tech recommended) would be installed,
    a) that alone should reimburse the initial out lay as a smaller boiler would be less expensive
    b) as 2 baths the tech guy recommend the 35 taking into consideration the potential work load required from the boiler, as a gesture of goodwill the £150 in my opinion should be refunded

To be fair I can not understand why you had to pay anything at all towards a standard exchange

Logistics seems to be lost and not very professional to say the least for a replacement to be delivered so late in the day , and considering your situation high priority should of been part the overall plan considering your disabled child, I am disgusted to hear your experience and the lack of consideration

I do hope this matter is resolved in your favour and a token gesture is forthcoming
  • Carbon-Reductions
    Options
    redbabe wrote: »
    Hi

Having read lots of the posts on the ECO scheme and picked up lots of Do's and Don't's - thanks guys - I am confused about the 'contribution' being charged.

My parents have been accepted for a new boiler via EON - they are on pension credit, only have the basic pension as income and have an old old boiler. When they spoke to the installer they were told that they had to contribute £240. When they questioned this they were told that everyone pays it.

I have read the leaflet, looked at various stuff online but can find no mention of what I assume is a standard fee. I have however found lots of info on here about some people being asked to contribute quite frankly ridiculous sums and then also a few who got it all free.

My question is - Have other people been charged a standard fee and if so how much and did they question it? Also if anyone knows if the fee is being charged by EON or the installer?

My parents know that even with the £240 fee this is a good deal but to be honest £240 is a lot of money for them. I'm also annoyed that there is no mention of this on any of the literature that I have looked at. (Yes I know that if extra works needs doing then a contribution has to be paid but the impression I have been given is that the £240 is payable by everybody).

Has anyone had the boiler and work done totally free?

Cheers

I disagree that a contribution is payable by everyone as that would be classed as a standard charge, a fully funded boiler exchange , means no contribution from the customer

Although £240 for a new boiler seems a great deal, I agree that to a pensioner that is a huge amount , funding is awarded and the amount available is worked out from the EPC report/score , so to even suggest everyone is subject to the £240 contribution amount says to me this is a standard charge to the company involved

All I can suggest is contact other companies that are government approved to offer a replacement under the ECO scheme, best wishes
  • Carbon-Reductions
    Options
    redbabe wrote: »
    Hi

Having read lots of the posts on the ECO scheme and picked up lots of Do's and Don't's - thanks guys - I am confused about the 'contribution' being charged.

My parents have been accepted for a new boiler via EON - they are on pension credit, only have the basic pension as income and have an old old boiler. When they spoke to the installer they were told that they had to contribute £240. When they questioned this they were told that everyone pays it.

I have read the leaflet, looked at various stuff online but can find no mention of what I assume is a standard fee. I have however found lots of info on here about some people being asked to contribute quite frankly ridiculous sums and then also a few who got it all free.

My question is - Have other people been charged a standard fee and if so how much and did they question it? Also if anyone knows if the fee is being charged by EON or the installer?

My parents know that even with the £240 fee this is a good deal but to be honest £240 is a lot of money for them. I'm also annoyed that there is no mention of this on any of the literature that I have looked at. (Yes I know that if extra works needs doing then a contribution has to be paid but the impression I have been given is that the £240 is payable by everybody).

Has anyone had the boiler and work done totally free?

Cheers

I disagree that a contribution is payable by everyone as that would be classed as a standard charge, a fully funded boiler exchange , means no contribution from the customer

Although £240 for a new boiler seems a great deal, I agree that to a pensioner that is a huge amount , funding is awarded and the amount available is worked out from the EPC report/score , so to even suggest everyone is subject to the £240 contribution amount says to me this is a standard charge to the company involved

All I can suggest is contact other companies that are government approved to offer a replacement under the ECO scheme, best wishes
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The "FREE BOILER" criteria are wrong
    When you first look at your article - ir mentions DLA as being one benefit that entitles you to a boiler - yet when you look into it further - none of the suppliers actually accept DLA as a benefit that entitles you to a free boiler !!
  • Polgara72
    Options
    hi, sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience without knowing the full reasons and facts and reading between the lines, I do not know why a like for like replacement was not installed by the fitters and believe the problem is with the fitters, if the tech guy recommend a 35 and a 35 was removed , then a 35 should of been fitted, and as the £150 was to be paid in the belief a 35 ( which tech recommended) would be installed,
    a) that alone should reimburse the initial out lay as a smaller boiler would be less expensive
    b) as 2 baths the tech guy recommend the 35 taking into consideration the potential work load required from the boiler, as a gesture of goodwill the £150 in my opinion should be refunded

To be fair I can not understand why you had to pay anything at all towards a standard exchange

Logistics seems to be lost and not very professional to say the least for a replacement to be delivered so late in the day , and considering your situation high priority should of been part the overall plan considering your disabled child, I am disgusted to hear your experience and the lack of consideration

I do hope this matter is resolved in your favour and a token gesture is forthcoming

Thank you for your reply 😊

I lost patience today. I chased the call back that I was promised on Monday morning - I was told I could accept the money or the engineer would have to come out (again) and do 'Heat loss' calculations on the boiler. He'd ring sometime next week to arrange an appointment.

So I contacted SSE, the company overseeing this and was put straight through to their complaints department. The lady I spoke yo was very nice and will be contacting her tech person and the company responsible tomorrow morning, before calling me back.
    She said I will be leasing with her now, not them - that in itself is a result!
  • Carbon-Reductions
    Options
    Glad to hear you are finally getting somewhere with this and will be a lot better now you have a direct point of contact,.hopefully the tech guy gives a positive result and you receive a full refund for the hassle you have experienced and the logistics regarding the arrival of boilers is addressed for future customers

Please keep me informed, best wishes
  • redkitty_3
    redkitty_3 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of energy companies are now funding room in roof insulation. Where they can, the installers slide insulation boards up between the tiles and the sloping ceilings and add fibre glass to the upright stud walls and flat ceiling areas if they are there. The work may not always be free though, it depends on how tricky your property is to insulate. The energy companies tend not to get involved in this work so you need to find an accredited room in roof installer. You need to search for a website called Green Deal ORB, then go to the participant register, select "installers only" then "room in roof insulation" from the services section

We are a company that has funding from energy companies for this work but we don't install directly, we give the money to the installers. If you don't have any joy let me know and I will try and recommend someone

Hi Adrian,

I too am in need of some advice here. I live in the Nottingham area and have just done a search for installers. The nearest one is in Leicester, however are there any others you could recommend that would cover my area? I have an end terrace and an attic room with blocked off eaves and no hatch access or access to the 'roof' area so it is hard to tell if it's even been insulated or not. The room is terribly cold throughout Oct-April and boiling in 'summer'. I've been told by Notts city council energy partnership that room in roof insulation can cost £3000!!! If so that is just ridiculous - is this a realistic figure? I am in receipt of a benefit but not sure if I would qualify for any funding.
    Would be ace to hear from you :)
  • Polgara72
    Polgara72 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    Glad to hear you are finally getting somewhere with this and will be a lot better now you have a direct point of contact,.hopefully the tech guy gives a positive result and you receive a full refund for the hassle you have experienced and the logistics regarding the arrival of boilers is addressed for future customers

Please keep me informed, best wishes

Oops, sorry, I forgot to update.

In the end the tech guy said that the only real benefit was a minimal amount of hot water per hour, so I decided to accept the compensation that DJ McGough had offered.
    I too hope they sort their logistical system out!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback