Official Free Boilers and Insulation guide discussion

Options

Comments

• illusionek
    illusionek Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Great news! I will have a look at your website. Appreciate help!
  • Keefee_2
    Options
    Hi,
    Just thought I'd let you know my experience just now. We rang about having a boiler fitted to replace the one that has been condemned. The boiler in question is in my father-in-laws house and has had to go into a old peoples home because of this.
    Simple answer from the energy advice line was, "There are no company's covering that area on the scheme".
    Didn't think Whitby was a third world area?
    So it seems that not only is his boiler condemned but he seems to be as well.
  • M5ef0rum
    Options
    Well so far i've not been successful in finding a supplier even tho my wife is suffering from severe dementia, has a blue badge and we are both over 65 with just state pensions.
    Any suggestions?
  • zayn
    zayn Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    My father suffers from Parkinson's , i spoke to his supplier EDF who organised under there ECO scheme for WarmerHomes to Survey, The boiler will be Worcester Bosch 30i and all should be all done at £0 cost to him. Hope that helps

M5ef0rum wrote: »
    Well so far i've not been successful in finding a supplier even tho my wife is suffering from severe dementia, has a blue badge and we are both over 65 with just state pensions.
    Any suggestions?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A family member is currently going through a difficult time and has recently started receiving Income Support.

Their gas boiler has decided to pack up and we have been informed that there are free gas boilers available to those who meet certain criteria (which she seems to meet).

It is about 8 years old and is broken (it never switches itself off). It just runs 24/7. We have had to switch it off at the boiler.

Does anyone have any experience on this grant ?

The companies I have found that still seem to be offering these are Npower, SSE, Boilergrants.co.uk and a few others.

Thanks in advance
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    A family member is currently going through a difficult time and has recently started receiving Income Support.

Their gas boiler has decided to pack up and we have been informed that there are free gas boilers available to those who meet certain criteria (which she seems to meet).

It is about 8 years old and is broken (it never switches itself off). It just runs 24/7. We have had to switch it off at the boiler.

Does anyone have any experience on this grant ?

The companies I have found that still seem to be offering these are Npower, SSE, Boilergrants.co.uk and a few others.

Thanks in advance

Are you sure it's not the room thermostat that is broken? I know when I had my boiler installed I had to switch it off and on manually for CH for a day or so before I had the thermostat wired up.
  • ses6jwg
    ses6jwg Posts: 5,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know if edf offer free loft insulation to all their customers or do you have to be on benefits?

Moving into a new house with minimal insulation
  • Mr_Mann
    Mr_Mann Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have spoken to a number of companies offering this scheme and none of them have needed to know the rating of the boiler although they do ask. The main criteria seems to be that it is inefficient and if it's more than 10 years old it will be as it will predate the modern condensing boilers. Maybe you could try another provider of the scheme and speak to them on the phone first. EON have been helpful to me for advice.
  • Dogweaver
    Options
    I contacted NPower and answere a few questions to see if I qualified. My husband has been made redundant and I work part time with 2 children aged 16 and 14 in receipt of child tax credits.
    NPower wanted verification of the child tax credits which I emailed to them. They responded today to say that they've cancelled their engineers survey visit for this Thursday as they've calculated our income on last years figures from the tax credits office and we are over their threshold. They now say we are not eligible and do not base income on the current year.
  • roseview
    roseview Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the situation re like for like? We had a company around and are eligible for an oil boiler. However, they want to take our Worcester Bosch and replace it with a Firebird which my heating engineer says isn't such a good quality boiler. The company now say that we will have to pay a contribution to get the Worcester.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback