PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mines off as well,but it did go on for a couple of hours in September when we had that cold spell, but holding out as long as possible. Its not too cold here and I have all the usual insulation thank goodness, but when DD's come they complain its too cold, dont know how they would have managed in the 'good old days'
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    feels a bit cooler this afternoon. Wind is up and it wet. Sitting I have a blanket over my lap, so tonight it might well be a hot and a blanket tonight. :)

I feel ready now for some colder weather and more clothes...I needed that little burst of heat first though. ;)
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 October 2011 at 5:00PM
    Options
    We got our loft insulated yesterday and I can feel the difference already. We had less than 3 inches of insulation before, and there was another foot added yesterday - all for free! I'm looking forward to feel the difference (both temperature and moneywise!) in the winter as this was a cold house.

MY OH has taken the portable gas heater out of the garage in preparation for the colder days but I haven't bought any gas for it yet. It's for the kitchen. It's quite big but we only have one small radiator, and whoever put up the extension filled it with a lot of air bricks so the cold air blows in where all the cupboards are.
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Still OFF here - definitely cooler today than it has been recently but perfectly bearable.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    Sunnyday - same here it is blowing a flipping gale and has been all day although it is quite mild in the air.

It is off at the moment, while I can rob the heat that is generated by the conservatory and fliter that through the house, I am going to keep it off as long as I can. I have a feeling that by the end of next week we might have to have it on but we are just - like everyone else - trying to hold off from putting it on!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    Still off here too, although today its 20.4 degrees,sunny and a nice warm wind, still very nice for the first week of October....:D
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    thermal underwear and layers is the answer.
  • craftingqueen_2
    Options
    OFF - Cloudy and windy here ,hoping not to turn on the heating till end of October once its on it stays on :( . We do have a fireplace so hoping to use that before we have to turn the radiators on :) .
    Proud to be No. 61 in the DMP mutual support group.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jackieb wrote: »
    We got our loft insulated yesterday and I can feel the difference already. We had less than 3 inches of insulation before, and there was another foot added yesterday - all for free! I'm looking forward to feel the difference (both temperature and moneywise!) in the winter as this was a cold house.

MY OH has taken the portable gas heater out of the garage in preparation for the colder days but I haven't bought any gas for it yet. It's for the kitchen. It's quite big but we only have one small radiator, and whoever put up the extension filled it with a lot of air bricks so the cold air blows in where all the cupboards are.

we're hopoing to have some insulation (we have none atm) going into the loft this month. Sadly the free allowance per bedroom doesn't cover all of our roof space. I'm schocked at how we have been advised to claim fraudulently by the people running these schemes....e.g. we have two largish landings, and providers have suggested we count these as bedrooms to get some extra insulation.

But it does seem silly to not provide enough to do the job in the scheme.

I'm hoping it will make us feel the difference too. :)
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we're hopoing to have some insulation (we have none atm) going into the loft this month. Sadly the free allowance per bedroom doesn't cover all of our roof space. I'm schocked at how we have been advised to claim fraudulently by the people running these schemes....e.g. we have two largish landings, and providers have suggested we count these as bedrooms to get some extra insulation.

But it does seem silly to not provide enough to do the job in the scheme.

I'm hoping it will make us feel the difference too. :)

I don't understand the allowance per bedroom? We just had someone come to our door last week. It would've cost us £99 (which I think is still a good price) but he asked if there was anyone in the house in receipt of any benefits. I told him our 18yo gets DLA so he said we'd get it for nothing. I showed him proof of the benefit and he took note of my son's NI number and that was it. They never mentioned it was for a certain amount of bedrooms though.

Btw, it's windy and rainy outside and was only 10.5C today, and i'm feeling toasty inside. :T I hope you find a difference too. I'm sure you will. :)

My OH is going to help my eldest son insulate his loft, but my son's loft is floored and his boiler is up there, so the rolls would be a bit of a faff to put in, so they're going to put kingspan boards up there instead. It'll be more expensive than the rolls, but easier and cleaner to put in. We keep nothing up our loft so it doesn't matter that we have the loose wool stuff.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback