PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The past few 26c-29c days I have been considering putting the air con on :eek: but whilst we bbq'd last night and ate outside we really felt the temp drop and the wind pick up. Its definately more chilly today and its only going to get colder.

I am hoping my open fireplace will be completed before I have to resort to central heating as we always have the upstairs cooler than downstairs so an open fire with free wood :T will be enough until it gets really cold.

But... if the girls complain they are cold in the house, and they are wearing warm clothes and slippers, then its going on - We will not be cold in our own home and I feel really sorry for people who cannot afford to heat their homes :(

Energy companies make me so :mad::mad::mad:
  • bkerai81
    bkerai81 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Heating on themostat so its Temp dependent and timed on top so no wastage..at mums place.

,,,but tend to go and stay at friends couple of days a week as nothing better than sleeping in front of a nice fire place ;),,,,

..counting down to snow....... bring it on!!!!!!
    ...you snooze you lose But..Make Money by saving Money,,and spending the money i'm saving..
  • carriebradshaw
    Options
    not started lighting the fire yet just putting electric ones on now and again if it feels chilly just now.We're waiting for the council to come and do a survey this week and see if we need more insulation.I want them to feel how cold & damp the house can be so don't want to have the heating on til they've been really.
  • Saint_Chris
    Saint_Chris Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Options
    Off....................and staying off

our house is not bricks it's just a plywood with a few bricks in, we don't have a fire, as you can't cause the walls are like plywood, so we only have radiators.

but the house is so warm, radiators won't go on till it snows.

now electric that's a different matter.........................all those standby lights
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On, because I'm freezing. Seems odd I was sitting outside at 10 pm the other night in flip flops and a strappy vest. Just been out on the steps now for a fag and it's perishing! The weather is all shot to h*ll if you ask me.
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    timbstoke wrote: »
    Candles are awesome - they give out a lot more heat than they get credit for. I'll definitely have some contributing towards the heat this year.

I couldn't agree with you more,my family used to laugh at me until they arrived one evening and felt how warm my room was ,they had to feel the radator to check it was really off.My cupboard is well stocked with them ready for this winter
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    We've not needed any heating on yet either,its not been that chilly.
    I'm certainly not going to complain about the weather.
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    mrsr wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with you more,my family used to laugh at me until they arrived one evening and felt how warm my room was ,they had to feel the radator to check it was really off.My cupboard is well stocked with them ready for this winter

I've got loads of candles I'd love to use but my husband won't let me burn them he says they cause soot damage.
    Is this true or is he just frightened he might have to redecorate sooner than he'd like too :rotfl:.
    Do they realy cause problems.
    I love candlelight,so soothing and I have all these lovely candles just waiting to be used.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    My husband thinks anybody who burns candles is either weird or hasnt paid their elect bill. Snooty Edinburgh person LOL!
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heating off and windows open all day and night here in Brighton. Will try to get to November before the big switch on! I know candles give off heat but isn't gas a bit cheaper and will heat the whole house? One pillar candle @ Tesco is £2 and last winter at its coldest period I spent a maximum of £22.91 in a week (about first week of Jan) so equivalent to about 11 candles I am sure my gas spend expelled more heat energy. I will have a few tea lights on the go though in the lounge in winter as they are only £1.89 for a bag of 100 and burn approx 4 hours.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback