PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Options

Comments

• CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Still off but it was chilly first thing.

I suspect ours will be on by the end of the week if the forecsts are correct.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A clamie night,raining and dull here this morning but still fairly warm.No need for heat.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Still off here; although today seemed a bit strange. Still pretty hot at around 22c during the day and i've still got the patio doors wide open... But on the way home from work and into the evening it looked like there was a storm on the way, trees all over the place with pretty high winds - then it changed its mind.

Similar thing happened here last night. The wind was really picking up and the sky went dark, so with all of the humidity, I was expecting an almighty storm but nope, nada, not a drop.

Cooled down a little more today, and it is quite grey and very cloudy, but still no rain as yet.

By Saturday, we're expecting lows of 6 and highs of just 12 though.

That's OK, the new scarf I've been knitting will be ready before then! :D
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    the last few days of the heatwave really have warmed my house up. Its an old house with very thick walls, and the sitting room is almost never warm, but this morning I was fine in a vest and I'm still fine in a very light jumper....I expect it to be cooler in a day or so in here but it feels nice today. :)

We have unexpected drizzle too, so limiting the windows I can open, so for the first time this year have a load of scented candles lit instead of airing the house. Poor substitute.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OFF its still bright and sunny here. 21 degrees in the house. cooler outside though. I think it will be a hot water bottle and blanket on sofa night later.
  • mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have quite a cold breeze here today, feels a fair bit colder than yesterday. Our bedroom temperature hasnt gone below 24oC at night this past week but I think it might be a bit cooler in there tonight. I know when I got up to our baby at 2am I was warm but he felt quite cool to the touch. I send poor DD1 to school in her dress this morning thinking it would warm up by now!

Heating is still off here and am hoping to keep it that way for some time (unless the kids get ill or something like that).
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    oldtractor wrote: »
    OFF its still bright and sunny here. 21 degrees in the house. cooler outside though. I think it will be a hot water bottle and blanket on sofa night later.

:) same here. And soup, I'm making soup today, which is fun at the beginning of the cold weather, kess fun by the end ;)

I'm also putting the final stages on ''dog readying'' my kitchen for the winter, as though I hate the dogs in the kitchen I've resolved it will be the easiest place to keep clean and warm with no heating in the wet/muddy weather. I have a beam in the centre of my kitchen with a socket attached to it, so I'll put a pig lamp on in there, probably with a timer. I'm not sure how long I'll need to keep it on for each day at the beginning of winter, but I'm sure the red light will give passers by something to talk about. :)

The kitchen looks odd with the table pushed up against the wall and an empty space in the middle but thats where the easiest place to put the pig lamp will be so.....
  • Loopy_Lewis
    Options
    No heating yet. We live in the north of England, and are still sitting in shorts and T shirt! We are both pensioners and remember the days when we had no central heating. Thanks to Kittie for posting memories:

"outside lav with a paraffin lamp to stop the pipes freezing up. Solid ice on the inside of the windows. Going to bed dressed because it was so freezing cold. One fire downstairs and you`d stand with your back to it, then couldn`t move away because it was lovely and warm on your legs.

Bringing the washing in, from the two lines in the backyard, for mum and it was stiff as wood. Then waiting for it to thaw and hang on the pull up airer in the living room with the fire and all this with 7 children. How on earth she got through the washing in the winter, I`ll never know. By the way washing was started by soakng in a bath of cold water overnight and you can imagine how cold the hands got dealing with that lot"

We have oil fired central heating - so very expensive.

Am I reading the posts correctly and seeing that people are having heating on ALL night? We still have summer duvets on and are even chucking them off during the night.

Perhaps us pensioners are made of stronger stuff?:rotfl:
    Debt Free Pensioner - and proud of it.:T
    Saving for grand tour of Norway to see the northern lights.
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still off here. My meter reading on 21st May was 3485 - a few weeks ago it was 3492. I'm hoping to get to the end of the year with a meter reading of less than 3500. Countermeasures include:

- The furry throw has been commissioned for snuggling under on the sofa
    - Charity shops have been raided for warm jumpers.
    - The cats have gotten used to the idea that the window isn't left open for them anymore - if I'm not about to let them in/out, they have to wait.
    - The second duvet has been located in readiness for when it gets cold
    - Pyjamas and dressing gowns are back in use.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just lit the stove - I cant feel my toes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business