IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Port of Wells Civil Enforcement Ltd

Options

Comments

• primroseangel
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Did the Harbour Master send you a copy of the map? Should I request one too? Is the car park covered by any bylaws? I have ten days left to pay this extortionate amount.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2019 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I have ten days left to pay this extortionate amount.

No, you have the rest of your life not to pay it. If the land is covered by bye-Laws, unless the Harbour Authority gets this in front of a magistrate they can F.O.A.D.

The Wells Harbour notice

http://www.wellsharbour.co.uk/na918.htm

states that penalty notices will be issued for non payment. The OP paid and this was probably a charge notice issued under contract law. Why did not PoPLA not notice this? Also, it seems that the Harbour Master needs to be put right about his responsibility for his contractor's actions.

There may be something in here that you can use to your advantage

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g315941-d4875387-r514509382-Wells_Next_The_Sea_Beach-Wells_next_the_Sea_Norfolk_East_Anglia_England.html

£7.00 to park, this sounds like a place to avoid.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem become so widespread that MPs agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. It has cleared Parliament and hopefully, this will become law shortly.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've still not had a reply back from the Harbour Master - but I will chase it tomorrow now that you've reminded me!
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have ten days left to pay this extortionate amount.
    No, you have until a judge tells you to. NO-ONE here pays these otherwise.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • primroseangel
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I am taking it all in and trying to add bits to my defence after studying it all. I didn't have to go far to find this car park is notorious.

I have emailed Civil Enforcement to ask for their litigation and legal processes. I even gave them a deadline of ten days to send it to me since they are so keen on deadlines themselves. The deadline passed on Wednesday and I have heard nothing.

Today (Friday) I have received from Civil Enforcement Ltd a "CESSATION OF CORRESPONDENCE" in it they refer to my recent correspondence and state they have already expended considerable time in responding and will not continue. The decision is final and no payment will result in a collection agency for recovery.

My husband is petrified they will turn up at our house and start to take items. Surely they can't do that can they???
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    No one can turn up at your house and take anything, well, they can but we call those burglars! If you go to court and lose and fail to pay the court order, then and only then, can the claimant apply to the court to collect payment from you.
  • MistyZ
    MistyZ Posts: 1,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 March 2019 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Today (Friday) I have received from Civil Enforcement Ltd a "CESSATION OF CORRESPONDENCE" in it they refer to my recent correspondence and state they have already expended considerable time in responding and will not continue. The decision is final and no payment will result in a collection agency for recovery.

The lying toe rags. I quite like the fact that you seem to have annoyed them!
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Options
    I've confirmed with Port of Wells that the car park is covered under bye-laws, so POFA isn't applicable, and also CEL are unable to pursue the keeper.

They are about to get a GFY letter.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My husband is petrified they will turn up at our house and start to take items. Surely they can't do that can they???

Poor old dears ..... the CEL scammers :rotfl::rotfl:

NO KNOCKING ON DOORS

SCARY SCARY CEL ,,,,,, "COLLECTION AGENCY" ? :rotfl::rotfl:

Get your husband to carefully read this about idiot debt collectors
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74439905#post74439905
  • lizk39
    lizk39 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I too have a Port of Wells parking charge notice going back to last July. I unfortunately contacted them initially to explain our situation and appealed to their better nature. I realise now this was a mistake. I then had a family health crisis and missed the POPLA deadline. CEL refused to give me a code after this date and I have ignored them ever since.

Ive now had two ZZPS debt collection letters and now a QDR solicitors letter.

Can anyone advise me the best course of action now? Are they going to keep going now? I would still like the chance to appeal this, the signage at the site is not good enough for the changes that they made. Would I have risked a £60 automatic camera fine for the sake of a £1 ticket had the signage adequately warned me about the new cameras? I wasn't the driver. The car was never left, my family were waiting in the car while I got chips! (30-40 minute queue is standard here in the summer!) Any advice gratefully received. Can someone explain the bylaws thing above please?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback