Nibe Fighter 360p ashp costing me loads to run

Options

Comments

• Aceboyz
    Aceboyz Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    ra200 wrote: »
    There are 3 Air ducts one in the bathroom one in the kitchen one in the shower room also i have been told to keep the trickle vents above the windows that have not got ducts open,

The fan has got three setting speed 1 speed 2 and normal,

The Nibe is trying to keep the tank at 55c in winter mode if i switch the system to Autumn/spring mode so the immersion heater is blocked the temp stays at about 25-35c

Hi,

We have just moved into a brand new house that was supposed to be cost effective, no gas coming into the house and using the same as you a new fighter 360p.

We were given a folder with how much it would cost us to run the house = £547 per year but within the first 4 weeks we had a bill of £178.00 and we already know this month the bill is going to hit £210 approx. When our house was built 6 weeks ago we were told these Nibe systems are the best thing ever and even on their website it says these systems will reduce your existing bills by 80%, ours has increased it by that.

We have a Nibe engineer coming out on Friday as ours was setup by another company and when we moved in we were told this is the heating device don't touch it, which to be honest we didn't until we had the bill through then we spoke to Nibe and found out the installer had left the water on 24hr immersion and the winter setting.

We were running about 65 - 70 units per day and 9 units per night, since turning the water off and going to the autumn/spring setting we are now running 25 - 30 units per day and 7 units at night. This to me is still extremely high and it does not make sense why we are using 3 times the amount of electricity during the day than at night even when we are not in the house it continues to eat so much electricity.

The other thing we were told was, when the temperature reaches 7 deg's for every unit of electricity you use the boiler will give 3 back however the past couple of days the temperature has reached this and still the same amount of units are being used.

Fingers crossed the Nibe engineer can come up with some idea's, we do know our menu's have been locked out, there is something in there about Setback's, which we should be able to use to help save costs.
  • ra200
    ra200 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    The figures you have given are about right for spring/autum mode as the immersion is then disabled but this mode is no good as the ashp does not perform well when it is below 9c out doors and this is when you need it in winter mode but the problem is then that the 7.2kw immersion kicks in and out throught the day, So for e.g if your immersion kicked in and was on for a hour say that would be 7.2 x what ever tariff your on so if your tarfiff was 13p per unit it would be 7.2 x 13p + 93p per hour plus the cost of the pump running plus the cost of the compressor running plus the cost of the fan running,

So even come the spring time march / april you will still see your self using a min of 25 units a day

And another problem you have like me if you leave the nibe 360p in autum/spring mode is that the water is not stored at around 60°C the European Guidelines for control and prevention of travel associated Legionnaires’ Disease recommend that hot water should be stored at 60 °C (140 °F) and distributed such that a temperature of at least 50 °C and preferably 55 °C
    Aceboyz wrote: »
    Hi,

We have just moved into a brand new house that was supposed to be cost effective, no gas coming into the house and using the same as you a new fighter 360p.

We were given a folder with how much it would cost us to run the house = £547 per year but within the first 4 weeks we had a bill of £178.00 and we already know this month the bill is going to hit £210 approx. When our house was built 6 weeks ago we were told these Nibe systems are the best thing ever and even on their website it says these systems will reduce your existing bills by 80%, ours has increased it by that.

We have a Nibe engineer coming out on Friday as ours was setup by another company and when we moved in we were told this is the heating device don't touch it, which to be honest we didn't until we had the bill through then we spoke to Nibe and found out the installer had left the water on 24hr immersion and the winter setting.

We were running about 65 - 70 units per day and 9 units per night, since turning the water off and going to the autumn/spring setting we are now running 25 - 30 units per day and 7 units at night. This to me is still extremely high and it does not make sense why we are using 3 times the amount of electricity during the day than at night even when we are not in the house it continues to eat so much electricity.

The other thing we were told was, when the temperature reaches 7 deg's for every unit of electricity you use the boiler will give 3 back however the past couple of days the temperature has reached this and still the same amount of units are being used.

Fingers crossed the Nibe engineer can come up with some idea's, we do know our menu's have been locked out, there is something in there about Setback's, which we should be able to use to help save costs.
  • denial2010
    denial2010 Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2011 at 10:50PM
    Options
    I've had *some* sucess with this. If you see the other thread on said unit. I've got it down to using 15KWh per day to heat a 2 bed house (79m2 floor space).

I'm still not happy, however. Nibe are coming tomorrow afternoon. Will update once they have been! Also, these may well be subsised shortly by 7p/KWh when the RHI taffifs come into force. Which I guess will bring them in line will the same KWh cost as mains gas?
    Mortgage Started: £131,500 (June 2010)
    Mortgage Paid Off: £33,000 (25.1%)
    Mortgage Remaining: £98,500
  • denial2010
    edited 5 January 2011 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Aceboyz wrote: »

You can turn these extra menus on. Goto menu 8.0 "Other Settings". The 8.1.0 "Display Settings". Then 8.1.1 "Menu Type" and change it from "Normal" to "Extended".

The Setback menus will then be available under the menu 7.0 "Clock".
  • ra200
    Options
    You can also set it to service so it gives you more options,
    denial2010 wrote: »
    You can turn these extra menus on. Goto menu 8.0 "Other Settings". The 8.1.0 "Display Settings". Then 8.1.1 "Menu Type" and change it from "Normal" to "Extended".

The Setback menus will then be available under the menu 7.0 "Clock".
  • ra200
    Options
    What electric suppliers will offer the new RHI taffifs do you know.
    I've had *some* sucess with this. If you see the other thread on said unit. I've got it down to using 15KWh per day to heat a 2 bed house (79m2 floor space).

I'm still not happy, however. Nibe are coming tomorrow afternoon. Will update once they have been! Also, these may well be subsised shortly by 7p/KWh when the RHI taffifs come into force. Which I guess will bring them in line will the same KWh cost as mains gas?
  • denial2010
    edited 6 January 2011 at 12:41PM
    Options
    What electric suppliers will offer the new RHI taffifs do you know.

Well the Nibe Engineer has been. He was saying that he doesn't think Exhaust Air Heatpumps such as the 360P will be covered by the RHI. The government have moved the goal posts. But he will check.

So the engineer was brilliant! He's made a few changes. I'll try and outline what he has done. He will be ringing tomorrow to see if the costs have fallen... and looking at the energy meter so far, it seems quite promising!

The recommended heat curve is 13 with an offset of -2 for radiators. However, as my house is extremely well insulated it was heating the house too hot under the winter setting. Therefore, immersion was being used more than needed. So this has been changed to 5 with no offset. However, this may need increasing if the house gets too cold. Thermostat is set to 19 degrees.

The guy also adjusted the trend calc temperature. This is the temperature where it throws the maths out the window and the system runs solely on immersion as it is too cold. This was set at the default of 5 degrees. So even on a day like today, the unit would still be trigger happy on the immersion as it is below that. The guy has changed this to 0 degrees as again the house is well insulated. The immersion maximum has been adjusted from 8KW to 6KW. So if the unit does need to kick the immersion in full whack, it will only be to 6KW.

The vents were checked to see if the unit was recieving 32L/s of air (as was the suspected problem). The unit was recieving well over 40. So too much. The fans have been turned down. Again saving on cost and the fans aren't running like the clappers.

The problem was the company which installed it comissioned it to the basic settings. Of course every house is different.

Will keep you all updated on the running costs over the next few days.
  • ra200
    Options
    Thanks for posting your feedback who arranged for the engineer from Nibe to call yourself or your landlord?

The guy who fitted the system in our house was from the the house builder and i think he did set the system up right to his knowledge but maybe a engineer from nibe would have more experience with the system than a housing housing developers installer,

Can you tell me what type of vents you have we have vents in the top of the windows 1 vent in the living room and 2 in the bedrooms these are really small vents in the plastic of the upvc but of course i do not know if they are providing enough air to the system,

Keep us posted on how much electric you now used now the Nibe engineer has been, Thanks
    Well the Nibe Engineer has been. He was saying that he doesn't think Exhaust Air Heatpumps such as the 360P will be covered by the RHI. The government have moved the goal posts. But he will check.

So the engineer was brilliant! He's made a few changes. I'll try and outline what he has done. He will be ringing tomorrow to see if the costs have fallen... and looking at the energy meter so far, it seems quite promising!

The recommended heat curve is 13 with an offset of -2 for radiators. However, as my house is extremely well insulated it was heating the house too hot under the winter setting. Therefore, immersion was being used more than needed. So this has been changed to 5 with no offset. However, this may need increasing if the house gets too cold. Thermostat is set to 19 degrees.

The guy also adjusted the trend calc temperature. This is the temperature where it throws the maths out the window and the system runs solely on immersion as it is too cold. This was set at the default of 5 degrees. So even on a day like today, the unit would still be trigger happy on the immersion as it is below that. The guy has changed this to 0 degrees as again the house is well insulated. The immersion maximum has been adjusted from 8KW to 6KW. So if the unit does need to kick the immersion in full whack, it will only be to 6KW.

The vents were checked to see if the unit was recieving 32L/s of air (as was the suspected problem). The unit was recieving well over 40. So too much. The fans have been turned down. Again saving on cost and the fans aren't running like the clappers.

The problem was the company which installed it comissioned it to the basic settings. Of course every house is different.

Will keep you all updated on the running costs over the next few days.
  • denial2010
    Options
    Thanks for posting your feedback who arranged for the engineer from Nibe to call yourself or your landlord?

The guy who fitted the system in our house was from the the house builder and i think he did set the system up right to his knowledge but maybe a engineer from nibe would have more experience with the system than a housing housing developers installer,

Can you tell me what type of vents you have we have vents in the top of the windows 1 vent in the living room and 2 in the bedrooms these are really small vents in the plastic of the upvc but of course i do not know if they are providing enough air to the system,

Keep us posted on how much electric you now used now the Nibe engineer has been, Thanks

I arranged it myself. My house is under shared ownership so the "landlord" (HA) doesn't really get invovled. It wasn't those vents. It was the others... in the kitchen, toilets etc for the heat recovery.
  • denial2010
    edited 6 January 2011 at 8:35PM
    Options
    Hot water and rooms are all up to temperature and the heat pump is on that dreaded winter mode! Its used 17KWh so far today (guy was around about 10-11ish making the changes). I estimate its used about 10KWh since then. But imagine a lot of that went into getting the Hot Water back up to temperature (it was 30 degrees). So maybe looking at 20KWh usage a day? But tomorrow will be the ultimate test! Don't want to jinx it all... But its looking promising!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills