Options
    My jumbo is only 8.5% as opposed to your 12. 3
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tafrock wrote: »
    My jumbo is only 8.5% as opposed to your 12. 3

Yes my Jumbo is only 8.5% as well. There's clearly a lot of tailoring of Powerpack offers to length of time as a customer, consumption and probably account credit.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    I sent this message to Powershop today.

Hi, I've recently discovered that you are offering higher discount Power Packs and for greater value amounts to newer customers.

When checking the prices offered to new customers it appears the discount they can achieve by buying Powerpacks is nearly 30%.

As an established customer (I joined you in April 2017) I am, as you can imagine, somewhat miffed that you appear to be giving a greater discount to new customers. I and others have noticed that the Future Packs and other Special Packs you offer to established customers are generally of lower value and frequently at lower discounts than last year and, as I said previously, lower than new customers are offered.

This is blatently unfair and underhand. You are penalising the customers that decided to take a chance on a new way of buying and paying for electricity and have chosen to stay with you.

Do you intend to rectify this discrepancy?

Also, can you tell me what discount I should expect to achieve on my Pioneer (Shoppers) tariff for this coming year please?

I will post what reply I get from them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Luck!
    I feel that they won't share their "Magic Ingredients" with you.....
    I have asked them numerous times for historical information on discounts and the response was not forthcoming......
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Here is the reply I got from Powershop. It makes sense and I'm more relaxed now about new customers getting higher discounts since they start on a higher baseline tariff.

In essence, I'm on a lower tariff than new joiners so they receive higher discounts than me to bring their 'after Powerpack purchase' price down to be comparable to mine. So, if I left then came back again, I would have a higher baseline tariff and receive higher discounts that would simply bring my nett cost down to the same level as I am already at. Makes sense to me.

Good afternoon XXXXX,

Thanks for your query regarding the discounted Powerpacks being offered to newer customers and the discounts attached to these; apologies if these have caused any confusion or unrest.

For newer customers deciding to join Powershop, the lowest prices they are able to achieve by purchasing all available Powerpacks are the 'Top Shopper' rates. Any discounts are subtracted from the 'Baseline' unit rates which would otherwise to be used to bill for any energy used each month. As the 'Baseline' rates are significantly higher than the default 'Standard' rates on Pioneer customer accounts, more discounts are required to ensure each customer is able to achieve this 'Top Shopper' rate.

On your current tariff, as well as having lower default rates than new customers (Standard 15.03 p/kWh & 8.44 p/kWh vs Baseline 18.96 p/kWh & 10.82 p/kWh), your Pioneer 'Shopper' rates (11.74 p/kWh & 6.59 p/kWh) are lower than the 'Top Shopper' rates that can be achieved by a new customer, with the same metering set up in your area (13.65 p/kWh & 7.79 /kWh). If you continue to purchase these discounted Powerpacks as you have done since joining Powershop, you will achieve these rates Pioneer 'Shopper' rates over the coming year.

If you wish to check these figures, please feel free to run a quote using the 'switch now' feature of the Powershop UK website to see the rates available for new customers!

Please do not hesitate to be in touch with any further questions and we'll be happy to help.

All the best,

Will

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

Seems straightforward to me and easy to check I guess.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It all becomes clear now. Thanks
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Could ktf confirm his unit price. Mine is 13.5p per kWh with a standing charge of 16.6p per day. That's my standard rate. My achievable rate is supposed to be 10.8p per unit. To be fair I've bettered that every month since November 7 last year and equalled it in October last year. My current unit rate is averaging at 9.843p per kWh from June 6th 2017 until June 13th 2018. My last bills rate worked out to 9.573 p per kwh
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2018 at 3:30PM
    Options
    Here are my unit costs from the My Account page.

Could you share the spreadsheet/formula that you are using to track the actual cost?

Screen_Shot_2018-07-10_at_15.16.12.png

Screen_Shot_2018-07-10_at_15.16.36.png
  • Tafrock
    Options
    Wow so your standing charge is very high. Hence the massive discounts on your powerpacks. This simply confirms powershops reasons for the differing discounts

My standing charge is constant on standard or after discounts ie 16.6p per day

Therefore all I do is take the cost of my last month's bill may June bill was a mere £20.08 pence. I then subtract the standing charge cost for May June's bill it was 31 days x 16.6p = £5.146
    So my actual usage cost was 20.08-5.146 = £14.934

I then divide that by my kWh used which for June was 156 kwh

That works out as 9.57p per kWh

Anyone any idea how to calculate it with a variable standing charge,?? I guess you could just use the highest standing charge figure or lowest standing charge figure on your tariff but that wouldn't be totally correct
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback