Travelling On

Options

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re. Lights, consider Ikea. When my original kitchen light gave up I got the 5-spot one of these (it’s a long, narrow room) and it made a huge difference after the central three-bulb fitting as I could angle the lighting so I could see properly. They are also cheap! (And bulbs are replaceable).

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/basisk-ceiling-track-3-spots-nickel-plated-white-art-80262583/

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/tidig-ceiling-spotlight-with-5-spots-nickel-plated-art-90262653/

I also got my utility room double ceramic sink from ikea and everyone raves about it, so worth looking at those too.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks greenbee :) with the lights, I've gravitated to them naturally, I *really* like the upside-down-tealight effect, and once I realised they had a remote and could change colour, I was sold :rotfl: everything is very plain, and I like the idea of a bit of fun.

The sinks - I'd have quite liked ceramic, the material and the texture and look are beautiful, but reading the recommended cleaning routine makes me *know* it will end up looking awful.

I definitely don't need a double sink, and I currently have a 1.5 sink - the only thing I use the 0.5 for is to hold the washing up liquid etc, I don't really have the need for it. So I thought I'd go simple :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greenbee
    Options
    No one has told me about a recommended cleaning routine for a ceramic sink... I just like the fact that it doesn’t sow water marks from my hard water ☺️
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have a 1.5 sink and I wouldn't be without the 0.5bit - aside from the fact the drainer bowl bit in there holds my sponge and cloth in the day (thrown in wm at night/ in morning) I like the fact I can drain things down there/ throw away the dregs from my mug / someone's glass when I have a full bowl of clean wu water (I don't use a wu bowl) However, you can also do all of these things (except store cloths!) straight into the dw :D

How's the vacuum/ mop debate coming along?
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    No one has told me about a recommended cleaning routine for a ceramic sink... I just like the fact that it doesn’t sow water marks from my hard water ☺️
    Thats a big benefit, its true, in my area as well. Oops.
    greent wrote: »
    We have a 1.5 sink and I wouldn't be without the 0.5bit - aside from the fact the drainer bowl bit in there holds my sponge and cloth in the day (thrown in wm at night/ in morning) I like the fact I can drain things down there/ throw away the dregs from my mug / someone's glass when I have a full bowl of clean wu water (I don't use a wu bowl) However, you can also do all of these things (except store cloths!) straight into the dw :D
    My sister loves her 0.5 sink- but I've never got into the habit of using it, and only use it for storing a sponge, a cloth and the wu liquid. It got really grungy in there :(
    How's the vacuum/ mop debate coming along?
    x
    I'm leaning towards a steam mop again, simply because I have so much more floor area that's relevant to that, rather than a vacuum. It doesn't feel right for me to do those areas with a vacuum :o No research has been done, however!

I met up with my sister, and we went B&Q/ Homebase/ B&Q - bought both things from B&Q in the end. The sink is a single drainer, universal fitting, a Franke, very plain, classic lines, with a 50 year guarantee :D that will definitely see me out. £130, really nice quality, plus £10 for fittings.

The light fitting - I went for the 3 upside tealights thing in the end, £30 plus £5 P&P. I like it, but it's neat rather than funky, I'm going to have to have a moment of drama in there somehow :rotfl:

Total spent £165. Thats fine, and I like this sink **much** more than the one I just said goodbye to.

Got an IV of nice hot tea at the moment :rotfl:
  • greenbee
    Options
    Glad you've got things you like. You'll have to think of other ways to introduce drama into the kitchen instead of the lights. What about a blind in a contrasting fabric?
  • Karmacat
    Options
    That's a good idea! I've seen people have amazing images printed on the inside of venetian blinds. Doing it on a Roman blind would be even better!
  • greenbee
    Options
    Something more to research! :D
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A 50 year guarantee on a sink ?!?!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Yep! I'll be a hundred-and-eleventy so that's fine :)

Plasterers arrived on time at 8am ... their glue keeps tripping the electrics, so my broadband is extra-glitchy this morning, but they seem good at their job, so I don't really care. Been watching a youtube video, before the glitchiness started, of climate scientist Paul Beckwith on polar vortexes/ dying gulf stream/ overheated Arctic. Really, really bad news for us in the medium term, let alone the long term.

Because of the glitchy broadband, I've been doing little bits of tidying in my desk - it's the only bit I can reach right now, thats fairly normal but still needs to be tidied.... I might treat myself to a cuppa then go clean one of the cupboards thats destined for the shed, I've got to do *something* thats related to getting the house straighter. Plus, weirdly, I need to check on the dates of the caravan holiday and then buy visitor tickets to Dungeness Nuclear Power Station :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure