PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• Wanna_Bee_Free
    Options
    Wow, great decluttering going on and the thread is really motivating to read! Two more things went to the charity shop last week, a bag of cables is being collected today via freegle and an old duvet is go8ng to be turned into cushions by someone else via freegle. I also identiied some books that are on their way out this week and OH sold two things on ebay yesterday that are leaving for the post office today. Yippee!

Keep on keeping on everyone!
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Good work everyone!

Not much to report here for the past week -

1 x bag for life's worth of used greetings cards - recycled
    1 x butler sink - sold

Our experience of car boot sales is also hit and miss, although I think the least we've taken (on a freezing cold day last month) is £35 (after fee) and the most was around £160 (in December, again after fee) but the main bulk of items selling were good quality, used garden planters, dvds and some unwanted tools. We have a ton of miscellaneous household items, books and games but no-one wants to pay more than pennies for these so will most likely charity shop them along with the clothing I'm gradually clearing.

A couple of years back we sold the equivalent of around four bin bags full of good quality, (some only worn once) clothing on fleabay - including some vintage 1960s/70s items of my parents' - we got £80 when selling them individually would have raised much more. We just didn't have the time or inclination :o
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :eek::eek::eek:

British G@s have called and want to come and do my annual service.

:eek::eek::eek:

I've told them to call back next week to arrange a date. I've got so much work to do in the next week.

Today I have got rid of three bin bags to the charity shop.:j
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies for not keeping up with the thread but life just seems hectic. It's probably not but as I'm getting older, things are taking longer to do :o.
    Anyway today I have thrown out a bag full of unwanted coat hangers and I've started a new bag for the cs. Already in it ...... a tea light burner, a xmas decoration that I forgot to put in with the rest of the stuff, the year before last :eek: and a knitting bag still full of knitting needles that belonged to my DM. The bag I think I kept for sentimental reasons, but as she has been gone 5 years now I must let it go. I still have my memories of having to sit and hold the wool between my outstretched arms while she made wool balls :)
    I've still got plenty of cupboards and drawers to go through, as I realised today when hunting for a TV manual, because the remote that goes with the TV has broken. I think there are manuals in the drawer for some items we no longer have :o. However that's a job for another day as I'm out of energy.

Happy decluttering all
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 February 2019 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    This morning I have decluttered the office and packaged stationary bits for boot fair, sold some more books and binned/ recycled paper.
    This afternoon, hubby and I walked 11,000 steps to a neighbouring town. Bought some fruit off a stool. Didn't take their plastic bag. So one less thing to declutter.
    Back to work tomorrow.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Today hubby and I made great progress clearing out the cellar. We took a carload of stuff to the tip and have got enough stuff sorted out for another trip tomorrow. I managed to make him part with 2 of the 3, yes 3, old dvd players we had plus an old video player plus tons of old software cds, ancient computer bits and just general junk. There's still plenty to sort through such as the enormous box of leads that are all tangled together but you can see the floor now!

Keep on plugging away everyone - we'll get there in the end!
  • chupachups4
    Options
    424-428: 5 items sold, 47 euros in the travel pot

listed 25 items
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Today hubby and I made great progress clearing out the cellar. We took a carload of stuff to the tip and have got enough stuff sorted out for another trip tomorrow. I managed to make him part with 2 of the 3, yes 3, old dvd players we had plus an old video player plus tons of old software cds, ancient computer bits and just general junk. There's still plenty to sort through such as the enormous box of leads that are all tangled together but you can see the floor now!

Keep on plugging away everyone - we'll get there in the end!
    Well done on getting your hubby to part with the old DVD players.
    I remember when last year I managed to get my hubby to part with old computer/ phone bits, what a relief it was. Four years previous when we moved into our new house, there was no way that he was going to part with them.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    *137-139 unwanted Christmas items x2 sent to charity/charity auctions
    neutral items sent=31

i have now booked to send a parcel by courier so i can get the rest of the neutral items sent off (really seeing a difference in spare space) and any items i come across in my decluttering travels.

Have asked DD while home to sort out any clothes that have been sitting in her wardrobe for ages that she no longer wants-i live in hope with this one but you never know!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • somerandom
    Options
    somerandom wrote: »
    218 - another burnt baking tray
    219 & 220 - 2 x painting clothes
    221 - old washing machine - this got a huge MK - "thank you for your service" - but it had to go....
    222 - toilet cistern repaired

223. office chair - neighbour
    224 - 228 - 5 x grown out of pants (DS)
    229 & 230 - 2 x chargers - with nothing to charge

DP back up North after a stay of 2 weeks !! He was really helpful and did quite a bit of decorating while he was here and encouraged me to sort some stuff like replacing washing machine etc - as much as I appreciated it - in tandem with DS returning from his trip to US - I feel out of routine so really need to get organised again and put stuff away that has been displaced. Hopefully I will then be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour.
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport