Reclaim Unfair Bank Charges Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Maggie_Holmes
    Options
    Thanks Twinkly. Won't save much will I with all those credit cards I need
    back statements for at £10.00 a time. Didn't have Capital ONe at that
    time. Might be worth it. I knoiw I did have late payment charges, but can't remember how many though.

The credit card companies are: AMEX MINT NORTHERN ROCK AND

RBS ADVANTA AND POSSIBLY VIRGIN

I only need the first few from Barclay Card as I have most of them.

I have some early ones for Northern Rock, but need at least 2
    years worth. I know there are lots of charges on that one so that
    will probably be worth the £10.00.

None at all for MINT or AMEX shredded the lot last year grrrr!

Any advice for a cheaper way around this one would be gratful.

How is everybody doing when it comes to Credit Card charges? Is it just as easy as the bank charges and mortgage exit fees? I found that very easy.
  • Twinkly
    Twinkly Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    santana wrote: »
    hi not sure if i am in the right place
    i bank with lloyds tsb and on 2/4/2007,got charged £ 60 for going over drawn £7.13.anyway I am on income support etc.full time carer to a disabled son,i know that banks are not allowed to take means tested benefits,when my is come in it would just go back to the bank and i would not get a penny of it,my questioon is are they allowed to do this.cause lloys said that they are not actually taking it out of my is,as the charges did not directly come out of my income support,i am very stressed,cause this would mean that i can not eat,take my son to his physio etc,is there anything i could do,and are is that true what the person from lloyds tsb said.

Reclaim your charges following the templates and timescales. Quite apart from the fact that the charges are unlawful in themselves then no they shouldnt have touched social security benefits. You may wish to advise them that according to:

Social Security Administration Act 1992
    Miscellaneous
    Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-
    (a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;
    (b)any income-related benefit; or
    (c)child benefit,
    and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bankrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

If you have no other income going into the account then they did take the charges directly from benefits and they have lied to you. Very best of luck getting back every penny. :)
  • Maggie_Holmes
    Options
    hi not sure if i am in the right place
    i bank with lloyds tsb and on 2/4/2007,got charged £ 60 for going over drawn £7.13.anyway I am on income support etc.full time carer to a disabled son,i know that banks are not allowed to take means tested benefits,when my is come in it would just go back to the bank and i would not get a penny of it,my questioon is are they allowed to do this.cause lloys said that they are not actually taking it out of my is,as the charges did not directly come out of my income support,i am very stressed,cause this would mean that i can not eat,take my son to his physio etc,is there anything i could do,and are is that true what the person from lloyds tsb said.

Can't believe with all these claims for charges that they are still overcharging by so much. My bank in the past has done that to me, for even less than your £7.13.

Have you started claiming your bank charges yet? Just follow MSE advice and use the template letters. I was for a long time nervous of doing it, but I did in the end and had £750 from my bank and £90 from mortgage exit fees.
    I'm not the right person to answer your questions but I now a little.

Hope you started reclaming

Good Luck
    [/I]
  • Twinkly
    Options
    I'm not the right person to answer your questions but I now a little.

Hope you started reclaming

Good Luck
    [/I]

Not sure I am the right person either :rotfl: but every little helps and a little support goes a long way, the banks have much to answer for not least the intimidation of customers. It is disgraceful the way benefits are snatched from the people who need it most. It is the minimum the law states you need to live on. The banks are literally in this case taking the food from peoples mouths. Disgusting.
  • santana_2
    santana_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    hi thanks for the speedy replies
    i also receive child tax credit,child benefit and dla,are they still wrong to toke the money?
  • Maggie_Holmes
    Options
    Yes you are right there Twinkly the times I have thought do I have food for me and my daughter or do I get money in the bank to avoid these unfair charges. The banks were and still are raking it in, even if and when the charges are lowered. Even when you explain to the banks and tell them all your personal financial problems they still make life hell and stressful for you and then still charge you.

Will post if and when I get anything back from credit card companies. Still weighing that one up at the moment. Hoping it is as easy as the bank etc.

Still would like any advice on this one.
  • Twinkly
    Options
    hi thanks for the speedy replies
    i also receive child tax credit,child benefit and dla,are they still wrong to toke the money?

Child Benefit is clearly stated as exempt from charge and DLA is a social security benefit and Child Tax Credit is an income related benefit (means tested). So I would say yes, they are wrong to take this money and I would certainly challenge it.
  • Twinkly
    Options
    Yes you are right there Twinkly the times I have thought do I have food for me and my daughter or do I get money in the bank to avoid these unfair charges. The banks were and still are raking it in, even if and when the charges are lowered. Even when you explain to the banks and tell them all your personal financial problems they still make life hell and stressful for you and then still charge you.

Will post if and when I get anything back from credit card companies. Still weighing that one up at the moment. Hoping it is as easy as the bank etc.

Still would like any advice on this one.

As far as I can tell on my travels around the forum claiming with credit cards is no different really, the only difference is the names of the charges. Take a wander through the credit cards and store cards thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=305961

There is the same variance with speed of payment but the end result is the same in that they settle and dont turn up at court (at least I havent read of any that do). They may try and get you to settle for the difference between the charge and the OFT figure of £12 given the report on credit cards but bear in mind the charge is still unlawful and it is for a court to decide on. Dont worry and just go for it :)
  • Twinkly
    Options
    I wasnt going to post about this until something actually happened but maybe this will help and since we are talking about it its relevant. Earlier today I emailed Halifax about a singular charge last year of £39 on my basic bank account after an abortive attempt (again) to get NTL to take a direct debit properly. Since the only income in that account is Incapacity Benefit I have requested immediate refund under the social security act restrictions on charges placed on benefits. I havent had a reply and honestly dont expect one til after the Easter holiday at least so if I get it back I'll post in the success thread. It will be interesting how/if they try to defend and refute the provisions of the act. :)
  • julie_s_2
    Options
    hi all well im about to start this experience got statements today and what a shock.just flicking through the first year there are charges on practically every sheet!!!!!!!!!! am going to study them tomorrow and see what sort of charges i have been paying
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure