MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you ask for your tip back?

Options

Comments

• Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    briony144 wrote: »
    I know several businesses (small and large) who corrupt the system by mis-using staff's tips - but don't tar us all with the same brush please.

Is there a way of knowing which restaurants corrupt the system? I'm guessing not.

Thus, the only choice I have to try and ensure that the staff who deserve the tip get it - is by paying in cash after the bill has been paid.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nedsplace wrote: »
    what the hell are you doing spending £40 on a meal out let al;one over tipping??? Come on, get a grip, ask for your Tip back and an explanation of why the bill was so HIGH in the first plac e..:j:mad:

Thats really not that much. Most restaurants will set you back £40 easily for 2. I am happy to pay a large amount for a particularly good restaurant though and I understand that everyone may not wish to.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    The only tip I would give to a waiter is : "If you feel you are not being paid enough for the job get another one". I don't eat in restaurants anyway, my wife's cooking is exceptional and I don't have to suffer a lot of matey back-chat from some democratic oaf who is working on his tip.
  • keet83
    keet83 Posts: 226 Forumite
    Options
    call me scrooge but i dont give tips; as far as i'm aware they get paid to do their work. you wouldn't tip someone in mcdonalds or KFC, or anywhere else for that matter.
    [STRIKE]Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can![/STRIKE]
    That used to be the case :mad:
  • liberty1264
    Options
    No I would not. Reason I have had a nice meal and a couple of wines with my wife,I don't want to spoil the evening for her just because I've dropped a goolie and I don't want to show her what a pillock I am, she allready know's that., so I would just smile graciously and take the credit for leaving an extra large tip, and go quietly on my way and learn a lesson for the future. incidently I allways leave my tips in cash I want the waiter to have it and do what he want's with it put it in the kitty or whatever.
    liberty1264
  • hallucenogenic_midas
    Options
    what the hell are you doing spending £40

Should have got a 2-4-1 voucher from MSE :T
  • liberty1264
    Options
    Im glad your not taking me out for a meal I bet your a real tightwad
    liberty1264
  • briony144
    Options
    Zazen999 wrote: »
    Is there a way of knowing which restaurants corrupt the system? I'm guessing not.

Thus, the only choice I have to try and ensure that the staff who deserve the tip get it - is by paying in cash after the bill has been paid.

You could ask the waiting staff - they'll usually whisper the truth. Sadly sometimes even cash tips are collected by the companies that do this - so unless the staff are prepared to secrete the cash in their pocket (which might look a little odd) then they can still lose out.

I'd agree with the person who avoids using anywhere that they know does this. I could always suggest a wonderful place where I know it doesn't happen......!
  • purplegaily
    Options
    The girlies from work went out last friday, and spent £97 between the 7 of us - food and drinks (they had a 1/2 price on food offer). The restuarant's normal policy is to add a 10% service charge to tables over 6, but having spoken to our waiter - who was lovely, and did do very well with us being brutal about the food, he advised that if we left it on the bill, he wouldn't get it all, but if we tipped it in cash then he would.

So, we advised them not too add as standard, but tipped him approx £12 cash that we felt he had earnt.

We were paying in cash anyway, but it does mean you need to check the details. Saying that, my meal didn't cost anything as the seafood was raw - and i didn't order sushi!!
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • roseygrech
    Options
    Yes I would ask for the discrepancy to be returned. Surely no self respecting waiter/ess could really think they were getting a 35% tip? Do it politely and cheerfully - it's only the difference you are asking for, they will still get their 10% tip - everyone is happy:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure