MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you ask for your tip back?

Options

Comments

• Shrewdmoneysaver
    Options
    I put in a high tip by mistake on an excellent and expensive anniversary meal. The waiter who had earlier brought us complementary champagne queried whether I had added too much. It was not huge so I said keep it.
    I now try and be a lot more careful.
  • amus
    amus Posts: 5,635 Forumite
    Options
    I worked in restauraunts when I was a student and it completely depends on the place as to who gets the tip. One place I worked the manager used to keep tips given to him for himself and then if we got tips we had to pool them and share them with everyone including him! On the other hand in another place I worked all the tips went to the waiters and waitresses. If you are worried about where your tips are going I would recommend that you ask the wating staff, if it goes to greedy managers they would be more than happy to tell you - I know I would have!!
  • lkmc01
    lkmc01 Posts: 967 Forumite
    Options
    I never tip anyway as the price I see if the maximum price I'll pay
  • Jade1980
    Options
    I used to work in a Harvester restaurant and we would get to keep the tips entered on card payment machines. After cashing up the takings from our apron, we would just take home the cash equivalent of any card or cheque tips.

In this scenario I would leave it and not ask for it back as I'd be too embarrassed and would just put it down to experience and be more careful next time.
  • relynutz
    relynutz Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    i wouldnt ask for it back, i should have been more careful..

I wor ina restaurant and us waitresses all keep our own tips, we do not share them with others.
    i dont expect tips but i do appreciate them :j

But i do know that half of our waitresses work their because of the tips.

As for people ssaying that if you dont want to work in a low paid restaurant... i am currently studying to become a social worker, i have 3 children to look after and my husband works 60 + hours a week so i choose to work their. and yes i do LOVE it !!!
    relynutz says it all :o
  • tjh392
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't, it may seem cheap and embarassing for the person you're with. Furthermore if you do want to return to that restaurant, I'd rather let them remember me for the paying the additional amount rather than taking it away from them, you never know they might treat you better this time.
  • sarah0210
    Options
    I agree that I would ask for it back, but I find tipping a very odd idea as it seems to be expected for usually only satisfactory service, and you never tip in McDonalds or any highstreet shop where staff are paid minimum wage.

Teachers don't get tips for going the extra mile for children and their hourly wage is pretty poor when you add in all the extra hours worked (for most!) it's the same for all public sedctor workers.
  • briony144
    Options
    I put in a high tip by mistake on an excellent and expensive anniversary meal. The waiter who had earlier brought us complementary champagne queried whether I had added too much. It was not huge so I said keep it.
    I now try and be a lot more careful.

I like your reply - would be my attitude, but earlier posts have got me mad!!

I'm a 'money grabbing owner' who never takes any of the staff's tips and makes sure that they are divided amoung all the staff (including the behind the scenes ones who make it possible for your waiter/waitress to do a good job). Only person who gets a cut is Gordon Brown (Alistair Darling?!?) who insists on taxing tips. We don't make up minimum wage with tips either, before you ask!

My question is - who's 'complimentary champagne' was it that the helpful waiter brought you earlier? Did he pay for it himself or did he take it, with or without permission, from the evil capitalist whose started a business that gave him a job?

I know several businesses (small and large) who corrupt the system by mis-using staff's tips - but don't tar us all with the same brush please.
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never add tips on card payments anyway, but I always leave a tip (unless the service or food has been dire). I wouldn't ask for the money back though if I did accidentally leave a big tip, because a) if I asked for it back then I'd probably never get decent service in that place again and b) next time I go in, I'll be recognised as the 'good tipper' and I'll probably get better service :) Also, that mistake would be my own daft fault and I'd just swallow it.

Having been a waitress myself, it annoys me when people say they're waiters/waitresses and they don't share tips. I've never worked anywhere where we all kept our own tips and I think that's awful - why shouldn't the kitchen staff get a share? As a waitress, I wouldn't be getting a tip if the food was no good so anyone who's part of that team that serves AND cooks a meal should get a share of whatever tips are left. I don't agree at all with managers keeping tips or with tips being used to make wages up to the minimum (that's totally wrong and there are some restaurants I no longer use because I know they do that) but I think it's wrong not to share tips with the whole kitchen.
  • Tiddles12
    Options
    davidlaine wrote: »
    I never tip, never seen the need. Most places the service is mediocre at best.:o

That's probably because you never leave a tip, brainbox!

As a waitress I would have no problem refunding the transaction and re-processing it. However I probably would've noticed the oversized tip as the payment was going through, assumed it was a mistake and checked with the customer. As it takes 20-30 seconds for the payment to complete I have plenty of time to cancel the transaction if necessary - as I have done on several occasions.

To answer the dilemma - I wouldn't leave a tip on the card in the first place. ALWAYS TIP CASH!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure