MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you ask for your tip back?

Options

Comments

• The_MoneySavingKid
    Options
    Sarah.A wrote: »
    I kinda agree with Taytay, I used to work as a waitress when I was younger and we would never expect tips. We do get a wage like everyone else after all, we are not working for the love of the job -(thats for sure!! :p )
    If you tip at a restaurant, should you tip a shop assisstant too if they were helpful, or a teacher who helped you learn something....err no, they are just doing their job!
    Sounds a bit mean, but I can't afford to give my cash away. Every penny counts!
    The teacher wouldn't be the case anyway..they are all to often paid by taxes..different to companies.
  • wurley
    wurley Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd ask for it back.... intended to give £4 not £14 so it was an error....

As an aside.... US pay stupidly low wages so the tip is important.... UK have a reasonable min wage and tax credits (tips would have to be declared)

Service would have to go above what I expected in the UK (I once got a free steak meal as the waitress gave me the option of taking the wrong steak that was cooked for me instead of what i ordered....she got a tip!):T
  • waynedance
    Options
    I do not believe in all this tipping nonsense.

As said they get a wage.
    Google gives you answers use it.........
  • tallgirld
    Options
    I would scream!!!!

I probably wouldn't ask for it back but if I went back there again I wouldnt leave a tip again.
  • olliedog
    Options
    I would never tip on the card. If I tip I always leave it in cash. 10% if good service, or if the service was exceptional maybe 15%. I am neurotic about keying numbers in and always watch myself closely to ensure I tap the right numbers.
  • want2Bdebtfree
    Options
    No it was my mistake. But I would go back quickly afterwards just to see how much the staff would look after me thinking that I might may the same mistake twice!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
    PayPal £247.62 Amazon £495.80 cheque £62.41 Love2Shop £90 Bank Transfer £190 Nectar points £55.00 eMasterCard £600
    From:- Swagbucks, Valued Opinions, inbox pounds, Quidco, Royal Mail survey,YouGov, e-rewards,IPOS I-Say, Insite Consulting, Toluna UK, People for research :T
  • donglefan
    donglefan Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I've been wondering lately if I should tip the Tesco delivery guys. Do people do that?
    Some of them seem to wait a bit just as they leave and I wondered if I'm supposed to be tipping.
  • Chicken2812
    Options
    I've been in this situation and I did ask for it back! And they were lovely enough to acknowledge it was their mistake so gave the extra money back to me, in cash :-) I'm a cheapo student so I need all the money I can get!
  • ATMLADY
    Options
    last year we went for a meals at the TGI Friday resturant in Basildon and i paid it by card and press my pin number with 6**** and the japanse waiter eye almost pop out and show me the "tip" he said i gave him that amount of tip 6*.** i realised my mistake and told him to remove that tip as i dont want any tip (typcial british way tightfist lol) and paid the amount we had for a meals without the tips, poor waiter face dropped and look rather unhappy since then i have not see him around in that resturant lol.
  • bardenny
    Options
    Yes I would certainly ask for it back, as I would feel like I've been conned and that really makes me angry!:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure