PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks Pollycat, susan1 and dolly84. Thanks for checking emerald out.

Maybe it is just one of those unbranded not known ones. It was made in Romania the other label says.

Thanks for trying all. No worries.

I've been trying to avoid the chazzers as it's too dangerous at this time of year, i will buy too much lol and i'm trying to declutter which isn't going too well.

Glad to hear you are all getting great bargains...i can share in your joy without leaving the house :-)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Funeral tomorrow so last minute scampering for sartorial details. Past (& therefore through!) charity shops, so Langley Lucerne 1 1/2pt jug - lovely huggable, cuddleable jug.

Plus a pack of Star Wars gadget decals so I can identify one big usb memory block from another, a beautiful inlaid wooden box (I have several others of similar design) & A Handbag!

Yes, a real handbag or overgrown black velvet purse (goes with my shoes) with a chain handle (which I’ll swap out for a black cord shoulder strap) big enough for a phone, a door key & several handkerchieves.

Will I be able to cope? Blissfully unaccustomed to handbag carrying as I am?! Or is this the start of a lifetime habit?!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Will I be able to cope? Blissfully unaccustomed to handbag carrying as I am?! Or is this the start of a lifetime habit?!

Resist, Resist, (Dalek voice!), it can cost you a blimmin fortune!! :o

Hope all goes well tomorrow and that everyone approves of your sartorial efforts after all the thought and consideration you have put into it!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dfv - thinking of you and yours.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    miro - I love wide legs and skinnies. Give yourself time to get used to them, I think a wide leg looks very elegant.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Options
    Sis approved - loudly, repeatedly & at inappropriate moments.

My mother in law scrutinised us all, and we Passed (for the chaps I should blinking they looked glorious - profoundly apprehensive but beautifully turned out). All the effort in contriving a half slip paid off - why they are no longer held out for sale & shapewear is offered instead I am not going to speculate on. Just hunt down a pattern for next I want becoming modesty for the legs.

Later, middleson had loosened his tie a little & managed to look devastatingly louche, as if his cornet was stashed safe alongside a cool pint. (This is the one who, rather than tell my parents they were down a grandson, wanted to suggest he'd run away to sea as a toyboy for a squillionairess under a non disclosure agreement - frankly, I think the canny lasses will be forming an orderly queue.)

I'm not wholly convinced by the handbag thing but that may be as the purse catch struggled to restrain a mobile two memory sticks & a handkerchief.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congratulations on surviving a terrible day with aplomb and a glint of humour. I hope you sensed the warmth of the OS hivemind who were sending virtual love and support by the bucketload.

I am presently sitting in the car with a coffee, waiting for Nettlebed to open in five minutes time. I have already bought a few things from the bric a brac and book stalls (which open earlier). There is an overwhelming sense of sadness here as there are only three more sales before it closes for ever, and several folk this morning were suggesting setting up a support group to help us through. Nothing stays the same for ever, and I’m really going to miss the place.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    Congratulations on surviving a terrible day with aplomb and a glint of humour. I hope you sensed the warmth of the OS hivemind who were sending virtual love and support by the bucketload.....

Seconded!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Of course we were.....in our droves. Sending love.
  • Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done, DfV. No doubt it was a tough day but I hope there were fond memories to be shared, and I am sure you (and all your family) looked glorious. Applauding your steady calmness over the last few weeks.

I have had a productive CS rummage today, and spent more than I should, again. Highlights include:

This Hush dress: https://images.app.goo.gl/jeo1K6wGoG2hAMww6 which was £5.50. I like Hush but think their quality is poor so always happy to find secondhand.

A pair of Gerry Weber wool trousers! Enchanted with these. They are wide-legged, smart, size 14. £7.99. I have not got to grips with wide-legged style yet, so I am looking forward to trying these out for work.

A linea cardigan in hot pink for £4. There were two of these in the CS - one pale pink, and this one. Planning to wear as soon as spring arrives.

A pair of Jigsaw black trouser/leggings for £4. I am SO pleased with these - bargain of the day. Tight, like jeggings, but great quality and look unworn.

A St Michael blouse - which I am calling vintage! It is cream, with shoulder pads, still with the spare button on the label. Cotton, linen, viscose blend. Ooh - just noticed - was made in West Germany, so must pre-date the fall of the Berlin Wall! amazing! From the days when M&S suppliers were based in mainland Europe. This looks barely worn, so it must have been sat in someone's wardrobe for years! How exciting. It is actually very on-trend, I think - boxy, cropped length (so you wouldn't tuck it in), IFYSWIM. £3.99.

A pair of 'Khombu' snowboots. It looks like Costco sell these. They were a fiver, and are going in the car boot. I almost bought a pair of snowboots in Aldi last week for £30, but usually we get so little snow down here that even paying £30 for 3 days wear is still too much.

Two more jackets. I have real jacket issues. One is a Primark filled cheapy for a fiver. That is going in the boot with the snow boots, for any emergency situations. And the other is from Topshop and was £5.95. Will be good for spring.

Right. Off to try some stuff on! Happy hunting, all. xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport