Orbis £100 match offer - Now Ended

Options

Comments

• KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    Thanks for the info OP. I too have taken a gamble with £100, completely against my savings plans to get easy access funds tucked away. I've never had stocks/shares outside of my pension before, it is kind of exciting.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • mamabuddah
    Options
    So, got my id check etc, now to invest my £100, presumably in the “Global Equity Fund”, although I note it says for people who want to invest “for at least 3years” am I in the right zone...lol?
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    So, got my id check etc, now to invest my £100, presumably in the “Global Equity Fund”, although I note it says for people who want to invest “for at least 3years” am I in the right zone...lol?

They offer a choice of 2 funds - Global Equity (100% Equity) or Global Balanced (aroudn 60% equity I think).

100% equity funds are more volatile than balanced funds with grrater gain and loss potential over a time period.

If you are really INVESTING as opposed to short-term "gaming" to get the £100 then the "for at least 3 years" makes sense (although shorter than many on here would suggest, typically 5 or 10 years at least).

The reason is that markets drop in value and take an unknown period of time to recover. If you "need" access to the cash in a short timescale investing is a high-risk approach as you might only get back less than you invested as no time to benefit from a recovery.

I've put £100 in the Balanced fund to get the £100 and will probably sell, close and move the cash after a year. If markets drop by <50% in the next 12 months I'll probabaly lose out but flet it was certainly worth a punt. If markets increase over that 12 months I will make a bit less than soemone who went for Equity fund.

What's your plan?
  • mamabuddah
    Options
    Thanks AlanP, I’m thinking, start it off, perhaps if there’s a way to watch how it goes, to add more funds to build and if a few years down the line, it’s been doing well continue to add funds...it’s a £100 punt to add to if it looks good, I wouldn’t like to lose money, but in the general scheme of things it’s not a massive life changing investment
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    Thanks AlanP, I’m thinking, start it off, perhaps if there’s a way to watch how it goes, to add more funds to build and if a few years down the line, it’s been doing well continue to add funds...it’s a £100 punt to add to if it looks good, I wouldn’t like to lose money, but in the general scheme of things it’s not a massive life changing investment

Funds value gets updated overnight on their website so its really easy to see what your pot is worth each day if you so desire.
  • Tom_Brine
    Options
    Opened and invested £100 in the Global Equities Fund

Why not, if it falls it would have to fall far to lose my initial investment considering the £100 top up. And like others have said its not a life changing amount. A bit of fun.
  • CatLady13
    Options
    Funds value gets updated overnight on their website so its really easy to see what your pot is worth each day if you so desire.

To add to that, my first day with my £100 in equities gained 8p. Yesterday I lost 39p. For £100 it’s just a bit of fun though and with the hope of coming out on top with the bonus.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Alexland :beer:

I have just opened and invested £100 in the Global Equity fund. Fingers crossed that there is at least £200 to withdraw this time next year.

Those who've only invested £100 should all take a guess at their fund value in a year's time.

I think I will able to withdraw £198 :)
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • CatLady13
    Options
    Mogley wrote: »
    Thanks Alexland :beer:

I have just opened and invested £100 in the Global Equity fund. Fingers crossed that there is at least £200 to withdraw this time next year.

Those who've only invested £100 should all take a guess at their fund value in a year's time.

I think I will able to withdraw £198 :)

I'm going a bit more optimistic and saying £206
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Options
    Opened and invested £100 in the global equities fund.

MY first dabble with stocks/shares. How exciting!

Thanks for the thread Alexland.

Blue
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport