MSE News: Costs to soar in Airmiles revamp: use points before they devalue

Options

Comments

• Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what I understand, it is only beneficial for Europe/EU flights to Prague and Geneva (formerly Zone 2) and Dubrovnik (formerly Zone 3) and Moscow (formerly Zone 4) and that too from non-local airports i.e, airports other than London airports. People who have saved for long-haul flights have been hit hard with the added charges/taxes. Very limited time to book the tickets too. Tesco Clubcard mailing will reach the clubcard members only by November end and there won't be much time left to collect, convert and book long-haul flights using the already collected Airmiles. On top of that, only telephone booking during that period. GRRR....

What do you mean? That it is good only for those 4 flights from non-local airports (which is anything but London?)

How? My calcs show otherwise. Have I missed something?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    Options
    adobbing wrote: »
    Anyone know whether there will be an opportunity to merge accounts?

I currently have both Airmiles and BA exceutive club accounts.

I thought it says it in the article that you can?
  • KTM_Gordo
    Options

According to the article, yes you will be able to merge them.

I'm not surprised that IAG has done this - BA already had two separate schemes in Airmiles and BA Miles, and Iberia has its own too. Merging them is the obvious thing to do, and from the e-mail I got today, I can go further for the same equivalent number of points with a small fee to cover the taxes fees and charges.

Instead of Malaga, I'm now thinking of Moscow for the same number of points (and £27 is a fairly nominal sum for fees unlike those the budget airlines ladle on to the fare).
  • antonia1
    Options
    Will it still be possible to pay for extras like hotel rooms with Avios? And will deal of the week stay? I don't mind the change to include taxes / charges as I only really look at EU flights anyway (too impatient to save up for longer ones) and its much easier for me to fly from a regional airport.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

This is how the news affects BA Executive Club members:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/executive-club-changes/public/en_gb

Also an article in Business Traveller magazine: http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/exclusive-ba-exec-club,-iberia-plus-and-air-mil

So a BA mile = Avios point = 10 airmiles.

You will be able to merge the accounts. As there doesn't seem much point in keeping them separate.
  • adobbing
    Options
    OK now spotted that I can merge accounts!

What I am now trying to work out is will you be able to redeem on non IAG flights?

As someone who doesn't live in the southeast and would use Manchester, BA flights are to say the least limited.

I have made several redemptions using airmiles MAN - MUC using Lufthansa metal.

The mileage rates have always been inflated to take this into account, but the lack of charges for airport taxes somewhat mitgated this.
  • toonster58
    Options
    Is there anywhere that indicates what the additional costs will be for transatlantic flights, Surcharges fees and taxes?
  • unhappy_shopper
    unhappy_shopper Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2011 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Any wrote: »
    What do you mean? That it is good only for those 4 flights from non-local airports (which is anything but London?)

How? My calcs show otherwise. Have I missed something?

For e.g.

(CURRENT) Prague with Airmiles from Manchester - 2000 airmiles +£0
    OR 1,500 miles + £45
    OR 1,250 miles + £60
    (NEW) Prague with Avios from Manchester - 9000 avios (900 airmiles) +£27

For other destinations, we will be able to calculate whether they are beneficial or not only after they release the new zone map.
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    I was saving for two of us to go to Sydney, Australia. I'm currently at 15,000 airmiles.

I've not seen any mention of Australia in the report. Does anybody know how many avios points (and fees/taxes) will be required for this trip?
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • Greta
    Greta Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    toonster58 wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that indicates what the additional costs will be for transatlantic flights, Surcharges fees and taxes?

If you read the article, it says "On a New York return it is approximately £300."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure