MSE News: Costs to soar in Airmiles revamp: use points before they devalue

Options
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Airmiles flight reward scheme is to be completely revamped which will result in a cut to benefits for hundreds of thousands of travellers. ..."

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the heads up. Bad news for those saving airmiles and won't have enough before the changes.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • ehlo
    ehlo Posts: 397 Forumite
    Options
    hmm so an airmile that is not a mile! :/
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2011 at 12:23PM
    Options
    From what I read from the email from them it is going to be much better for me.

Flights to Prague and Geneva require 9000 Avios and £27.
    Well, now from Manchester I need 2000 Airmiles, or 1500 Airmiles and £45!!!!!!
    So the new rules is nearly half price. This is due to the re-classifying those flights.

For Zone 1 I would have paid 1250 Airmiles or 1000 Airmiles and £45, which is now going to be 9000 Avios and £27 as well... So that is again cheaper.

Didn't look at the further flights (zone 4 upwards) as no idea what the charges would be and I would be saving miles for ever even now...

So basically, unless I missed something, if you are flying from regional airports you are going to be better off with Avios.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't got much airmiles after using it up in the summer, but I think it is a great news for those of us with BA executive club. The taxes will be a lot less. It usually worked out only slightly more expensive to just buy it with cash than with BA miles + tax.

Also, BA miles can't be used on anything other than flights (I think), but with Airmiles, it can be used for variety of things.

I just hope they'll continue the household accounts thing so we can pull all the family miles together.
  • x2net
    Options
    What does "travellers can still use Airmiles in their current form until 15 December." actually mean? You have to travel by then, or you have to book by then, but can travel after that without paying the taxes?

Colin (with enough airmiles for two returns to NYC).
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    My guess is you won't have to travel by 15 December.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • On_The_Ball
    Options
    This doesn't sound good to me. I'm planning a trip to Asia next year, flying into Hong Kong using only Airmiles - a total of 13,000 (plus £0) for the two of us. I was planning on booking early next year, but it looks like I'll have to do it this year.

If they're taking taxes and fees out of the equation and making them payable, surely the number of miles/Avios required will come down too? ie. if it becomes the equivalent of 10,000 miles, that won't be so bad - but if it's still 13,000 (or 130,000) then obviously it's much worse. That is, of course, if the miles stay relative - is there any way to find out the new miles requirements? Anyone have any idea when the new map will be released?
  • unhappy_shopper
    Options
    From what I understand, it is only beneficial for Europe/EU flights to Prague and Geneva (formerly Zone 2) and Dubrovnik (formerly Zone 3) and Moscow (formerly Zone 4) and that too from non-local airports i.e, airports other than London airports. People who have saved for long-haul flights have been hit hard with the added charges/taxes. Very limited time to book the tickets too. Tesco Clubcard mailing will reach the clubcard members only by November end and there won't be much time left to collect, convert and book long-haul flights using the already collected Airmiles. On top of that, only telephone booking during that period. GRRR....
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,013 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Being able to buy the cheapest possible economy flight and using airmiles to upgrade to a better class is a big plus. You always could do this with BA miles but not with airmiles.

Also you can upgrade one leg, so catch the red eye back from America with the comfort of a bed and be ready for work on landing.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • adobbing
    Options
    Anyone know whether there will be an opportunity to merge accounts?

I currently have both Airmiles and BA exceutive club accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure